Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 30 Mar 2014 (Sunday) 10:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5Dc vs 1Ds Mark II

Somedude18
133 posts
Joined Nov 2013
Mar 30, 2014 10:00 |  #1

Hi Guys,

I have a Canon 5Dc at the moment. I am very pleased with the image quality! However, I hate the damn AF system... Since I don't want to spend a large amount of money on a camera I want the best value for my money (who doesn't :D ).

I mostly shoot portrait and landscapes, but I like taking pictures of my dog and the dogs of my friends from time to time (in action)... But the 5Dc just doesn't deliver.

I have read a lot about this camera, and I am all used to the Canon 5Dc, but it would be very pleasing for have a better autofocus system.

What drawbacks does the 1Ds Mark II has compared to the 5dc other than these:
- Bigger
- Heavier
- A bit harder to operate
- (Even) worse LCD screen at the back
- Is the IQ better or worse in general??

Hope you guys can help me out! The extra 200 euro's I have to pay for the 1Ds Mark II seems worth it so far...

flickrexternal link

sponsored links
Thorrulz
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2009
The Land of the "Go Big Red!"
Mar 30, 2014 10:33 |  #2

The 1DSMII will have slightly better image quality than your 5D though unless you crop or print large it likely won't be something you notice very often. The battery I believe is not one that I would go on paid shoots without a couple of extras given they seem to drain faster than the newer 1d series batteries so keep that in mind when figuring in the cost of the 1dsmii.

Overall I believe you will be pleased with the 1d as they are at the top of the food chain in canon bodies.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

smythie
I wasn't even trying
Joined Jun 2009
Sydney - Australia
Mar 30, 2014 14:57 |  #3

another drawback is the need for an XP computer with a FireWire port to change custom settings on the 1ds2 and also I think a much older version of the EOS Utility

Gear List

tacoman1423
Joined May 2010
Mar 31, 2014 08:20 |  #4

I currently have both and I can say that the 1dsii is just an awesome camera. AF is way quicker to lock on. Spot-metering on 13 af points. A draw back for me on the 1dsii vs the 5d is that the top lcd does not display any real-time exposure metering, only Exposure comp. But the 1DsII is truly an amazing tool.

Averion Photographyexternal link
FLICKRexternal link

Point-n-shoot-n
Goldmember
1,582 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Tampa, Florida
Apr 01, 2014 21:01 |  #5

tacoman1423 wrote in post #16798782external link
I currently have both and I can say that the 1dsii is just an awesome camera. AF is way quicker to lock on. Spot-metering on 13 af points. A draw back for me on the 1dsii vs the 5d is that the top lcd does not display any real-time exposure metering, only Exposure comp. But the 1DsII is truly an amazing tool.

I also have both and totally agree with the above statement. I like the extra shutter release on the 1Ds Mkii as well. I don't have any problems with battery issues as the batteries I have all will last all day!

Canon 5D mk iii, Canon 5d classic, Rebel XTI 400D 18-55 kit lens, Canon EF 85mm 1:1.8, Canon EF 17-40 F4L, Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 LD, Canon 70-200 F2.8 iiL, Canon EF135 F2 L, Tamron 28-75 1:2.8 , 2 alien bee 800's, 430 EXii, 580 EXii, rectangular and octo softboxes, assorted umbrellas, portable backdrops, radio triggers and still adding.............

Somedude18
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined Nov 2013
Apr 02, 2014 07:17 |  #6

Thanks for the posts guys! Makes it easier to make a choice..

Does the 1Ds II have off camera flash built in? I have a Canon 430 EX II but the Canon 5D makes it rather difficult to use E-TTL off camera flash... Does the 1Ds II have a built in trigger?

flickrexternal link

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,587 posts
Joined Nov 2005
San Diego County, California, USA
Apr 02, 2014 11:54 as a reply to Somedude18's post |  #7

AFAIK: no full-fame Canon DSLR incorporates a built-in flash. However there are a number of other ways to trigger a remote flash...

If you desire a built-in flash to use as a trigger plus exceptional autofocus capability, look into a Canon 7D; it has both; including 19 cross sensors with a myriad of ways to customize the autofocus...

The 7D is getting a bit long in the tooth and folks are predicting that a 7Dii is just around the corner. However they have been predicting that (with an astounding lack of accuracy:rolleyes:) for several years now while I have been happily shooting with my pair of 7D cameras...

Note: The 7D was introduced in the third quarter of 2009. This is the second quarter of 2014. I may be mistaken but, it seems that this has been the longest production run of any Canon DSLR camera...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

SeattleSpeedster
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2006
Seattle, WA
Apr 02, 2014 18:38 |  #8

I think for me the biggest bummer of the 1ds2 was the tiny lcd. The rest was awesome and that they can now be found for 800 is great.

A7R and A7R II | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 Otus | Zeiss 28mm f1.4 Otus | Zeiss 55mm f1.8 | Canon 200mm f1.8 | Zeiss 100-300mm | Zeiss 16-35mm f4 | Zeiss 135mm f2 | Voigtlander 10mm f5.6 http://www.mikereidpho​tography.com (external link)

Bradfordguy
941 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Bradford, Ontario
Apr 02, 2014 19:41 as a reply to SeattleSpeedster's post |  #9

I had a 1Ds2 for a while and it is one hell of a camera. The user interface irritated me and the rear lcd was no hell. I got into shooting sports and I found I needed a better higher ISO capability and a crop body meant I could use a 70-200 IS2 with the 7d which helped during later games. The 70-200 on a FF was marginal. Now I don't really do sports anymore but once you have owned a body with good AF capacity it is hard to go backwards into the lower end 5 and 6 series. The 1Ds2 has great AF capability.

G10, 7D gripped, 17-55 2.8 IS , 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, EF 85 1.8, 105 2.8 EX Sigma Macro, 1.4 TC , 580 EXII, 430 EX, ST-E2

Somedude18
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined Nov 2013
Apr 03, 2014 04:09 |  #10

Wait a minute guys... You mean the 7D has better high ISO performance? As far as I have read in reviews the high ISO performance of the Canon 7D is dramatic... My 5D produces great results on ISO 1600 and usable pictures on ISO 3200. I have read the 7D was really worse...
I love the fullframeness of my 5D, I think I would have a hard time to live without it... Especially since I would need 35mm to replace my 50mm and a 10-22mm to replace my 15-30mm, eventually it would cost me too much.

flickrexternal link

Aus.Morgo
Joined Feb 2012
Newcastle, Australia
Apr 03, 2014 05:43 |  #11

I had both until recent;y, sold the 1dsII for a 1d4, I liked the IQ of the 5d better though the 1dsII did most other things better.

Gear List

sponsored links

1,654 views & 0 likes for this thread
5Dc vs 1Ds Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.