Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk
Thread started 22 Mar 2014 (Saturday) 16:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photographing red flowers?

socalrailfan
Goldmember
1,475 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Riverside, CA
Mar 22, 2014 16:30 |  #1

What is the key to photographing red flowers? Whenever I shoot them the exposure and color just seem wrong. It just seems digital cameras don't like red in general. Here's a rose I shot the other day, it should be deep red yet it's not. It seems if I have enough outside the image it turns out OK, but shooting macros it's all off.

This one is just wrong. The red should be much deeper.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

This one is right on
HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dave - Riverside, CA PhotographersNature.co​mexternal link
Canon 60D & 40D. Canon 24-105 L, 10-22, 100mmL 50mm 1.4 and 70-300 L lenses.
My photos on Flickrexternal link, my Google Earth/Panoramio photosexternal link

sponsored links
GJim
Goldmember
1,206 posts
Joined Apr 2010
On the road, Again!
Mar 23, 2014 06:02 |  #2

Reading EXIF data, you used auto white-balance on both photos. Have you tried setting your 60D for actual shooting conditions? What happens if you change white-balance in processing?

G'Jim c):{- ... 50D (Gripped), 7D (Gripped), assorted glass, sundry accouterments.
The beginner clicks the shutter and says "Let's see what I got." ... The experienced photographer thinks "How can I capture what I see?"
My Photography and my Blog: http://www.gjim.comexternal link

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Mar 23, 2014 14:01 |  #3

Yes always set to daylight of cloudy or whatever. Even better use a spectrographic reference card for a custom white balance. This all gets a lot easier if you shoot RAW as you can do all the work at your PC with a single click.

Another thing with red and blue flowers is to ensure the appropriate channel does not saturate, if it does this can cause desaturation and washed out colours. One sometimes has to back the exposure off more than one would expect with flowers.

You second shot could be suffering from that. Another thing is to use a polariser to cut the shine off the petal surface.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

socalrailfan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,475 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Riverside, CA
Mar 23, 2014 18:44 |  #4

Thanks for the info. I'll have to play around with setting the next time I'm out in the gardens.

windpig
Chopped liver
14,617 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Mar 23, 2014 18:48 |  #5

Trying to photograph red flowers set me on my ETTR exposure workflow. Also, shooting red flowers in full sun is an exercise in futility. I got a 1 stop handheld diffuser that works really well.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

socalrailfan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,475 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Riverside, CA
Mar 25, 2014 11:49 |  #6

I shot the same rose yesterday trying different white balances and didn't notice any difference, but I also forgot to shoot in RAW.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,628 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Mar 25, 2014 11:56 |  #7

Link: another thread about difficulties with red

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Warl0rd
Goldmember
2,230 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Portugal
Mar 25, 2014 12:03 |  #8

its very easy to blow up the red channel... while shooting raw, the color profile also matters, opening the raw on DPP or Photoshop gives different results

Paulo
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/warl0rd (external link)
Canon 450D (XSi) + Grip | Canon 80D | EF-S 10-22 | EF 24-105 L IS | EF 100mm Macro | MP-E 65mm 1-5X | EF-S 18-55 IS STM | EF-S 55-250 IS | Takumar 55mm 1.8 | MT-24EX | Metz 48-AF1 | YN460 II | Kenko DG Auto ET | Kata 3N1-20 DL | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | Mitsai JDC195 | Manfrotto 190XPROB + 484RC2

ByTheBrooke
137 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Florence, AL
Apr 05, 2014 12:22 |  #9

This is something I struggle with, as well. My problem is that reds and magentas are always over saturated, though. ESPECIALLY when shot in bright sunlight. I always try to find a shaded spot on sunny days, but even when I do, I still have issues in PP. Like in your second shot, I tend to have blown areas more with red/magenta than other hues. I do a lot of my editing in LR, and I do shoot in RAW. I'm going to check out the other thread posted. I still have SO much to learn where macro is concerned, but it has become my favorite thing to shoot!

Brooke
Gripped 7D, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 85mm 1.4, Canon 100 2.8mm Macro, etc etc.... I just love to shoot!

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Apr 05, 2014 12:34 |  #10

Try using spot metering and meter for the red zones.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,617 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Apr 05, 2014 15:36 |  #11

Alveric wrote in post #16811800external link
Try using spot metering and meter for the red zones.

But how much compensation are you going to dial in either way? Incident meter or ETTR with RGB histogram using picture style of neutral and negative contrast, then adjust in post is what I do.

flickr (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Apr 05, 2014 16:40 |  #12

windpig wrote in post #16812064external link
But how much compensation are you going to dial in either way? Incident meter or ETTR with RGB histogram using picture style of neutral and negative contrast, then adjust in post is what I do.

Incident metering is best, of course. Pure red is roughly 50% brightness (i.e. mid tone) so, metering for it will yield the best exposure. I don't care for histograms or ETTR; as long as there's no clipping (and sometimes I even want clipping of shadows), I go by brightness values and memory tones. And if saturation is desired, a bit of underexposure will help: pushing tones towards the right will wash them out.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

frugivore
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
Toronto, Canada
Apr 05, 2014 17:25 |  #13

There are two techniques that help you get rich colors that are also 'correct'. To capture the colors properly, first set the white balance correctly, preferably by using a white balance card and the camera's custom white balance. Set picture style to neutral and check the RGB histogram to make sure that you're not clipping any of the channels.

As for getting rich colors, the more light you add to an object, the more washed out it looks. Use ETTR, but then reduce the exposure of the object in post to get rich colors. Even better, diffuse/change the light falling on the object to reduce the dynamic range of the scene. This is why I find flash far more useful in bright sunlight than in darker scenes.

windpig
Chopped liver
14,617 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Apr 05, 2014 17:36 |  #14

Setting proper WB is a must in getting the best exposure using ETTR.

flickr (external link)

ceriltheblade
Goldmember
2,474 posts
Joined Mar 2007
middle east
Apr 07, 2014 08:38 |  #15

i have never understood the idea of "cliiping" a specific channel - esp red

7D/5dIII
50 1.8 II, MP-E65, 85 II, 100 IS
8-15 FE, 10-22, 16-35 IS, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS, 100-400 ii, tamron 28-75 2.8
600 ex-rt, 055xproB/488rc2/Sirui k40x, kenko extens tubes

sponsored links

2,756 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photographing red flowers?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.