Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 21 Apr 2014 (Monday) 02:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

EF 500 f/4L IS II: Strange artifacts in out-of-focus specular highlights

SteLar
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Apr 21, 2014 02:58 |  #1

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum and hope this is the right place for my question. I've been out shooting my new EF 500 f/4L IS II with a 1.4 TC the last days. I've noticed strange artifacts/shapes in the specular highlights caused by the sun on water. Has anyone here seen the same artifacts with that lens or can assure me that this is a normal phenomenon? These highlights are rather distracting and I just want to make sure if this is normal or something I have to have checked out by Canon. Attached are two of the more prominent examples. These are just 100% crops of the embedded jpg in the raw file, no post processing. Both at f/7 and 1/1000s. Any help/reassurance/info on this appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
SteLar

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Portage, Wisconsin USA
Apr 21, 2014 07:37 |  #2

I think the embedded jpg in a raw was a very small file. Try just shooting a jpg and see what it looks like?

GEAR LIST

SteLar
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Apr 21, 2014 07:57 as a reply to gasrocks's post |  #3

The highlights look exactly the same when importing the raw into Lightroom. And since the file upload size is limited to 150kb anyway, it doesn't really matter. I only mentioned the raw to show that no postprocessing out of cam is responsible for the artifacts.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,311 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Apr 21, 2014 08:15 |  #4

What temp when shooting these? Looks somewhat like those painting strokes you get with heat waves and superteles. Here they are more like pressing in the paint brush than strokes though.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Apr 21, 2014 08:27 |  #5
banned

Call me crazy but those look like normal reflections to me.

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickrexternal link

davidfarina
Goldmember
Joined May 2013
Apr 21, 2014 08:39 |  #6

Looks like you have an element somewhere in your combo (lens or tc) which is dirty. That would explain the bokeh to look not like a ball

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

SteLar
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Apr 21, 2014 08:57 |  #7

bobbyz wrote in post #16849920external link
What temp when shooting these? Looks somewhat like those painting strokes you get with heat waves and superteles. Here they are more like pressing in the paint brush than strokes though.

I'd guess air temperature in the shadow was 10-15°C, but the sun was coming on strong. I definitely noted air "wavering" in other pictures. Do you have a super tele and a sample pic of the effect you mentioned? Or could you point me to one?

SteLar
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Apr 21, 2014 09:03 |  #8

davidfarina wrote in post #16849974 (external link)
Looks like you have an element somewhere in your combo (lens or tc) which is dirty. That would explain the bokeh to look not like a ball

Hmm, I've googled around a bit and artifacts in these OOF highlights could be damaged/dirty lens elements. But wouldn't the pattern inside the circle be the same then for every highlight? Which is not the case here. I also did a few tests this morning when the sun was out with artifical droplets/highlights. I've attached a 100% crop of a highlight which shows a filled circle with a brigther rim. If the problem was caused by dirty/damaged elements, wouldn't the pattern have to be visible here, too? The OOF highlight is in "focus" here, you can see the aperture blades.

HOSTED PHOTO

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,690 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Twin Cities
Apr 21, 2014 17:52 |  #9

I've not seen similar "reflections" with mine and I shoot a lot of waterfowl & shore birds, but frankly I haven't looked for them.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
Munich
Apr 22, 2014 02:54 |  #10

You need to shine a torch inside, see if anything obvious is in there? Could it be that you are shooting on hot days where heat shimmer might be affecting things?

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.comexternal link

http://www.natureimmor​tal.comexternal link

Lenty007
Joined May 2006
Ghent, Belgium
Apr 22, 2014 08:17 as a reply to Neilyb's post |  #11

Backgrounds are as complex as shadows.
Personally I wouldn't worry mutch about it and "go with the flow".
The first pictures seem like heat haze over water, nothing in the proximity of fault glass.
Just enjoy the lens and "go with the flow" ;)

SteLar
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Apr 22, 2014 17:29 |  #12

Tapeman wrote in post #16851210external link
I've not seen similar "reflections" with mine and I shoot a lot of waterfowl & shore birds, but frankly I haven't looked for them.

I've never really paid attention to them either. But it seems that the high focal length and maybe the TC magnify these highlights, so I noted the particular form/pattern of them for the first time. You don't have to pixel peep to see them, and the pattern makes them distractive to my eye. I've been looking at older images with my 100-400 and there I have found alike patterns, just not that often/extreme and only visible when pixel peeping.

Do you have any high-res images online I could take a look at?

SteLar
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Apr 22, 2014 17:35 |  #13

Neilyb wrote in post #16852058external link
You need to shine a torch inside, see if anything obvious is in there? Could it be that you are shooting on hot days where heat shimmer might be affecting things?

As noted above, I think that heat shimmer defintely was in play that day. I will try to have look at the lens elements with a flash light but I'm not sure if I'm likely to actually find a little bit of dirt that way. Could you please comment on my question regarding the last image I've attached? Wouldn't a dirt pattern be in evidence there, too?

SteLar
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Apr 22, 2014 17:45 |  #14

Lenty007 wrote in post #16852398external link
Backgrounds are as complex as shadows.
Personally I wouldn't worry mutch about it and "go with the flow".
The first pictures seem like heat haze over water, nothing in the proximity of fault glass.
Just enjoy the lens and "go with the flow" ;)

I'd very much like to do that. It's just that the lens was quite an investment and I'd like to make sure that nothing is amiss. So basically one image of someone else with a comparable phenomenon would put my mind at ease. :/

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
Apr 22, 2014 17:51 |  #15

Is it not just that the water is moving in the first two examples hence so are the specular highlights?

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,093 views & 0 likes for this thread
EF 500 f/4L IS II: Strange artifacts in out-of-focus specular highlights
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.