Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 22 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 12:49
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #481 - A dominant color

rpolitsr
Joined Jun 2005
Quito - Ecuador
Apr 22, 2014 12:49 |  #1

Challenge #481 - A dominant color

Submissions

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/481_thumbnails_chronological.jpg

A colorful group of entries this week, thanks a lot to all. Nine beautiful pictures and a difficult decision for the judge. I made my private notes and picked the winners before writing the comments in an attempt to present meaningful impressions.

Comments in the order of appearance:

• teekay – G1 – ORANGE: Sunset in Bryce Canyon, Utah
    I'm not sure how much goes to the natural color of the rocks and how much to the sunset, but the overall result is delighting. The canyon itself is beautiful. A great picture to start the challenge!
    -
  • JimAskew – G11 – Yellow - The Eyes Are Watching!
    Not too many yellow pixels, really, but with those eyes and the powerful sight there is no doubt: Yellow is the dominant color. And the owl (is it a owl ?) is a very good lucking wild bird. Second good entry for the week, and counting ...
    -
  • Maureen Souza – Pro1 – Juicy & Sweet
    The idea of 'Juicy & Sweet' is visually described by the shiny surfaces of the bowl and the strawberries. The shine and the sharp focus enhance the deep red color that dominates the composition randomly broken by the green sepals. Another one of the nine great entries, thanks Maureen.
    -
  • northants nin – G12 - PURPLE…..
    You made me smile showing the same purple color that was the beginning of this challenge with the 'veronicas' and 'cucuruchos' of my pictures of the holy week. :)
    Leaving the color aside, I imagine this flower as the garden representation of fireworks. The other flowers, out of focus and blended with the green background complete the idea of an explosion of color, purple color, of course! ...
    -
  • Spoco57 – G1X – Bright Massage
    Interesting picture! No matter how many posters / ornaments / announcements they put there, the bright red is the main feature of the business front. A kind of Thai 'spa'? At the same time, the red can't hide the bamboo details, the objects displayed in the lower windows or the texture of the small glasses in the upper row.
    I want one of those gift vouchers announced!. Is the photo taken in Ireland? I noted the .ie domain name of their web site.
    -
  • OhLook – G15 – Rose washed by rain
    One flower, a lonely color, and the possibility of analyze the shades as we do in a Black and White picture. I think it is really a unique and clever way to present a picture for the challenge of dominant color. To complement the elements of interest, the position of the petals and the conspicuous dew / rain drop play an important role in the composition.
    -
  • GMHY – G1X - Shades of blue
    The flat mass of sky and the deep blue water with the texture of the waves are enough for a photo with a dominant color, but don't make it necessarily interesting.
    Several things add to that interest: the reflection of the clear sky in the water, the ground and vegetation breaking the horizon line, the fact that all the colors in the ground and houses are neutral and the absence of green in the trees. A beautiful landscape that fits the theme.
    -
  • Raven – G16 – Hot Pink Azalea
    Another explosion of color. the hot pinks and the greens are equally saturated and luminous, but the flowers in the focus plane have a greater area and the volume better defined than the leaves, thus they dominate the scene. I'm wondering if that is the normal color saturation of the camera or if you used a vivid color setting or increased the colors in post processing. Nice picture too.
    -
  • marie – G2 – Foxglove
    A beautiful cluster of flowers that show the dominant purple color enhanced by the dark green background. I must confess that I have never seen them before, and I'm heavily attracted by the spots inside the flower that resemble small white painted flowers. The ninth beautiful photo to close the weekly challenge. Thank you, marie.
    -

Counting from one to nine on each new entry was my way to mesure the difficulty of the judging task. After the thirth entry, the nightmare of removing photos from the three top places began. Thank you all, your creativity made this challenge special and now, after choosing the winners, I'm enjoying every entry even more.

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/481_thumbnails_winners.jpg

OhLook, challenge #482 is yours, congratulations and good luck!

Regards

rafael

A dominant color topic description:

A topic inspired by the comment to my photo of the previous challenge.
I'm not entering the physics realm; take it just as a visual description of a given image. I'm asking for a color that has its presence enhanced by the subject or some characteristic of your photo. Shades of similar colors may work too. I'm hoping to see colors that appear naturally in the composition. Excessive color effects and 'selective color' effects are discouraged to keep the prevalent colors as natural as possible.
Good luck.

To submit, click Post Reply and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 28 Aptil 2014.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II and Pro1 only.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the message subject line.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature
on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging"
(about a third of the way down the page).
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleriesexternal link
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
teekay
Goldmember
2,588 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Apr 23, 2014 11:42 |  #2

ORANGE: Sunset in Bryce Canyon, Utah

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

G1

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Apr 24, 2014 15:00 as a reply to teekay's post |  #3

Yellow - The Eyes Are Watching!

G11

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,640 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Apr 24, 2014 22:06 as a reply to JimAskew's post |  #4

Juicy & Sweet

Pro 1

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

northants ­ nin
109 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Northamptonshire
Apr 26, 2014 13:41 |  #5

PURPLE…..

G12

HOSTED PHOTO

Spoco57
Joined Mar 2013
Allegany County, NY
Apr 26, 2014 18:55 as a reply to northants nin's post |  #6

Bright Massage

G1X

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7352/14002729696_d485718264_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nknD​G5] (external link)Baanpai (external link) by spocoyankees (external link), on Flickr

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,173 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Post has been edited 4 months ago by OhLook.
Apr 26, 2014 19:39 as a reply to Spoco57's post |  #7

Rose washed by rain

HOSTED PHOTO

G15

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

GMHY
Goldmember
1,013 posts
Joined Sep 2008
New York State
Apr 26, 2014 20:02 |  #8

Shades of blue

G1 X

IMAGE: http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt158/GMHY/G%20Series%20contest/IMG_3436_zps21301a51.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://s607.photobucke​t.com ...3436_zps21301a51.jp​g.html] (external link)

Gerard

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Seattle area, WA, USA
Apr 27, 2014 03:20 as a reply to GMHY's post |  #9

Hot Pink Azalea

G16

IMAGE: http://jimowensphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v157/p424437872-5.jpg

~ Jim

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002
Apr 27, 2014 18:14 as a reply to Raven's post |  #10

Foxglove

G2
1/40 f2.5

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/image/155402132/original.jpg

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2005
Quito - Ecuador
Apr 28, 2014 10:31 |  #11

Thanks to all for the colorful participation.

Challenge #481 - A dominant color in now CLOSED for judging

Results later today.

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2005
Quito - Ecuador
Apr 29, 2014 02:39 |  #12

WINNERS announced in the first post.

Thanks to all

Comments by participants and visitors are welcome.

rafael

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Apr 29, 2014 07:43 as a reply to rpolitsr's post |  #13

Congratulations to OhLook, Teekay,and Maureen...great photos all :-) And thanks to Rafael for a very "colorful" contest...you had your work cut out to select the best three of many beautiful entries submitted this past week! Well done by all :-)

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,173 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Apr 29, 2014 10:43 |  #14

Thank you, Rafael, for the win and the difficult work of judging, and thanks to everyone else for submitting the marvelous photos that made Rafael's work so difficult.

A rose is hard to beat for providing pleasing shapes and subtle gradations of shading. My photo began as a response to joayne's weekly challenge last week on the theme "Look What I Found." So joayne gets credit, too!

Maureen--it's funny, but when the Dominant Color theme was announced, I thought "A bowl of strawberries would do it." And you had one.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

teekay
Goldmember
2,588 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Apr 29, 2014 10:46 as a reply to JimAskew's post |  #15

Congratulations to OhLook - that beautiful pink shot would have been my choice, too.. And thanks for the prized #2 spot, Rafael, and the good choice of subject this week.

Finally, although it may have not met the "dominant color" test I really liked Jim's owl.:)

sponsored links

5,369 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #481 - A dominant color
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.