Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 27 Apr 2014 (Sunday) 23:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Shoulder pad for Billingham Hadley Large?

Xyclopx
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
San Jose, CA
Apr 27, 2014 23:52 |  #1

Hi,

Well, I don't understand why Billingham doesn't include a pad--boggles my mind, but anyway, I need on so I was shopping on BH and now I am totally confused.

So, BH recommends the SP20 for this bag. Now, the stats for the SP20 say it fits bags with 2" straps. I measured my bag and it's closer to 1.5".

Then I googled and there wasn't much info out there, but I did find some people using SP40's and they say it's a perfect fit. BH says SP40's fit straps that are 1.5"

Then I googled more and found this pic of a SP50 vs SP40:

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://filelink.godoho​sting.com/Ebay/Billing​ham/sp40.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

(original at: http://astrobile.com ...arge-digital-pro-new.html (external link))

Though the SP50 is for 2" straps per BH it looks exactly the same width in that picture.

I tend to pack my bag really heavily, and I would like to get as big and thick of a pad as possible cause my shoulder hurts pretty easily under heavy loads. The SP50 looks like it would be great if it's not too big.

If I use the SP50 or SP20 would they be too big for my bag?

Thanks!

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

sponsored links
Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007
Apr 28, 2014 01:32 |  #2

Email Billingham in the UK directly and ask them.

RandyAC
55 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Apr 28, 2014 10:32 |  #3

You want the SP40. Your bag has a 1.5" wide strap, which calls for the SP15 or SP40.

From the Billingham catalog:
Optional Accessories, Hadley Small, Large, Pro
SP15 and/or SP40 Shoulder Pad, Waist Strap Attachment, Simplies, Leather Luggage Tally

And:
Increased comfort - reduced slip
Our Shoulder Pads are made from thick, beautiful top grain leather with a non-slip base layer for comfort and security. They are finished with heavy-duty press studded strap guides to perfectly complement the bags.
The original shoulder pad (still a favourite among many photographers), is available in two widths: the SP15 which fits all Billingham bags with 1.5” webbing straps and the SP20 for larger bags with the 2” webbing.
These have been joined by an 'extra comfort' version that incorporates a grooved inner core of high-density closed-cell foam designed to help the Shoulder Pad mould to the shape of your shoulder. The SP40 and SP50 accommodate bags with 1.5” and 2” webbing straps respectively.

I have the SP40 on my Hadley Digital, and the fit is perfect. I like the pad. My Packington and 555 have the wider strap and pad, and I can't see any advantage to putting one of those on the Hadley. They just wouldn't fit properly.

Gimpinator
74 posts
Joined Mar 2014
Apr 28, 2014 16:22 |  #4

As stated SP40 is the proper pad for you.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010
Hong Kong
Apr 28, 2014 20:22 |  #5

Would there be any problem in buying the SP50 for the hadley large/pro? Wouldn't it be even more comfortable (larger pad = more surface area = less pressure)? Has any one tried this?

I'm asking because I find my hadley pro quite uncomfortable after long periods of wearing it with heavy gear inside, using the SP40.

-Tom
Flickr
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Xyclopx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
San Jose, CA
Apr 28, 2014 20:46 |  #6

Savas K wrote in post #16866335external link
Email Billingham in the UK directly and ask them.

thanks savas for this thoughtful response. i'll be sure to keep your wisdom close to my heart.

Thanks RandyAC and Gimpinator for your good advice--I'll probably buy the SP40 as you guys suggested.

Sirrith wrote in post #16868361external link
Would there be any problem in buying the SP50 for the hadley large/pro? Wouldn't it be even more comfortable (larger pad = more surface area = less pressure)? Has any one tried this?

I'm asking because I find my hadley pro quite uncomfortable after long periods of wearing it with heavy gear inside, using the SP40.

this is what I am most curious about as well. :) I tend to pack really heavy and though my think tank retrospective 20 has a REALLY nice pad (best I've ever seen on a bag), even that isn't enough to keep away the pain after a couple hours of walking around on the streets.

as I mentioned, in the posted pics, the sp40 and sp50 look identical in widths. can anyone confirm this? I mean, I doubt that's true, but it sure looks like it in the pic. if they are the same width, I might as well buy the sp50 cause any additional distribution of the weight would be awesome.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007
Apr 29, 2014 01:16 |  #7

Cyclops, it's evident you wish to chit chat rather than quickly solve a problem. It takes, what? Two minutes at best to send an email with a one sentence inquiry to the company that manufactures the products? That is wisdom, despite your surly response.

Gimpinator
74 posts
Joined Mar 2014
Apr 29, 2014 03:03 |  #8

If comfort is the biggest thing then get the Domke Postal Pad. Nothing beats it when it comes to comfort.

RandyAC
55 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Apr 29, 2014 08:12 |  #9

Sirrith wrote in post #16868361external link

I think the SP50 is wider than the SP40, but not by much. My wider pads are the SP20 type, so I can't give you a direct comparison. Comparing the SP20 with the SP40, they're nearly the same overall width, but the foam is wider on the SP20.
However, putting an SP50 on a 1.5 inch wide strap would mean that it is free to slide sideways 1/2 inch, unless you modified it somehow. I don't think it would be as effective as you hope, since the pad is just a slab of leather backed by some foam. I don't think it's rigid enough laterally make the additional surface area completely effective. The pressure area is determined more by the width of the strap than the width of the pad. Bottom line, it just wouldn't fit properly and would have marginal benefit at best.

If hauling your loaded bag with the SP40 is too painful, then you need a bigger change than switching to an SP50:
A) put less weight in the bag
B) haul it for shorter distance
C) get a different bag. You may need something with an additional waist strap, or go for a backpack. Take some weight off that shoulder strap.

splbound
242 posts
Joined Feb 2007
London, UK
Apr 29, 2014 08:41 as a reply to RandyAC's post |  #10

I have the SP40 for the Hadley large pro.

If I have the time tonight, I will take photos of my SP50 pad from my 555 on the Hadley large to gauge how it would fit if you are inclined to go that way.

Speaking of strap width. I wish Billingham would use a 2in strap width on the Hadley large. Fully loaded I think the extra thickness will help a lot.

As well as email, Billingham do have a social networking presence on facebook (https://www.facebook.c​om/Billingham.co.ukexternal link) and twitter (https://twitter.com/Bi​llinghamBagsexternal link). You will probably get a quicker, more definitive responses there too.

splbound
242 posts
Joined Feb 2007
London, UK
Apr 29, 2014 18:03 as a reply to splbound's post |  #11

Photos taken on my Hadley Large.

SP50 - Black shoulder pad
SP40 - Tan shoulder Pad

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Xyclopx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
San Jose, CA
Apr 29, 2014 18:07 |  #12

splbound wrote in post #16870833external link
Photos taken on my Hadley Large.

SP50 - Black shoulder pad
SP40 - Tan shoulder Pad

Thank you so much! Clearly illustrates the difference. Looks like I'll have to get the sp40. Appreciate u posting these.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010
Hong Kong
Apr 29, 2014 20:00 |  #13

I may have to replace my SP40 with an SP50, looks like it would be a lot more comfortable!

-Tom
Flickr
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Beachcomber ­ Joe
466 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Southwest Florida
Apr 29, 2014 20:11 |  #14

Gimpinator wrote in post #16868972external link
If comfort is the biggest thing then get the Domke Postal Pad. Nothing beats it when it comes to comfort.

Best pad out there! It will fit a strap up to 2" wide.

Gimpinator
74 posts
Joined Mar 2014
Apr 30, 2014 04:51 |  #15

Beachcomber Joe wrote in post #16871120external link
Best pad out there! It will fit a strap up to 2" wide.

yeah, I just wish they'd change the color of the pad as it gets pretty grimy.

sponsored links

6,125 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shoulder pad for Billingham Hadley Large?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.