Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 06 Dec 2005 (Tuesday) 17:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What do your business cards look like?

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Mar 21, 2014 21:31 |  #4366

steelbluesleepr wrote in post #16769226 (external link)
Here's what I've been working on for a bit, what do you guys think?

business card option (external link) by Jcareyphoto (external link), on Flickr
QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com .../jcareyphoto/132588​72003/] (external link)
business card option 2 (external link) by Jcareyphoto (external link), on Flickr

I think I'm going to go with the second one, with this picture on the back side:
QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com ...s/jcareyphoto/90142​05604/] (external link)
Fire Bike (external link) by Jcareyphoto (external link), on Flickr

Well, I think you would scare away a bride-to-be if you handed her a card with a motorcycle in hell on the back of it. Seriously. You might consider two different cards: one for photographing people and one for photographing objects (products, cars)

sponsored links
dr1ft
284 posts
Joined May 2008
Silver Spring, MD
Mar 24, 2014 13:20 |  #4367

What do you guys think about this design? (I am using vistaprint's preview functionality. The blue smear covers my phone number.) Any ideas for a better font?

IMAGE: http://photos.sejvik.com/Misc-Pages/i-bRZ6BDP/0/O/business_card_preview.jpg

-Vik
http://www.sejvik.comexternal link

steelbluesleepr
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
St. Louis, MO
Mar 25, 2014 11:24 |  #4368

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #16776499external link
Well, I think you would scare away a bride-to-be if you handed her a card with a motorcycle in hell on the back of it. Seriously. You might consider two different cards: one for photographing people and one for photographing objects (products, cars)

That was the option I was leaning towards; get several different pictures printed on the back of different cards with the same front. I'm also considering doing away with the "wedding" tag on the front and just focus on product/commercial/aut​omotive stuff as my emphasis, but weddings are good money as filler.

-Jayson- my flickrexternal link
In the bag: 5D mark II+Vello grio/10d+grip/Canon 17-40L/Canon 28-135/Canon 50 1.8/Canon 35-80 Macro Conversion/Vivitar 135 2.8 M42/Vivitar 28 2.5 M42/Yongnuo YN460II x3/Yongnuo RF-602 x3

SuffolkGal
437 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Mar 27, 2014 16:14 |  #4369
banned

Hikin Mike wrote in post #16769004external link
That was my first reaction too. Looks like you just through something to see what would stick. ;)

They look better printed than on screen, lol

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
Silver Spring, MD
Mar 28, 2014 16:49 |  #4370

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2904/13474777803_abcb04f252_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/mwHK​Ze] (external link)

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
https://farm4.staticfl​ickr.com ...74776243_facd38fdc1​_k.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

Shane
flickr (external link)

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008
In the ether between Denver and Boulder
Mar 31, 2014 15:08 |  #4371

Well, I guess I'll toss mine in here.

I generally suffer from option paralysis… the tendency, when confronted by multiple choices, to make none. It also doesn't help that I'm starting another business as well, so the branding needs from that have to be attended to, and there's a lot of overlap. I come up with many ideas then I sit on them, revisit them a little bit later, see how they fit. At some point I have to say 'enough!', and commit, so here's my choice. It still strikes me well, almost 2 weeks after creation.

IMAGE: http://s26.postimg.org/ocm9z66pl/BC1314tst.jpg

I'm big on vintage fonts and styling at the moment. The brand of the other business is developing an "old transit sign/vintage signage" vibe, and I let that bleed over into some of my designs for the photo side. I'm happy with what I came up with - and came very close to putting it on the backside of this card - but have since thought better of it. Now I just need to figure out the backside. I like the idea of images, but then there'd be about 6-8 images I'd have to choose from, and I know how I am about that...
This was done in Photoshop. I know AI is better, and I have AI3 on ye olde G5, but I'm much more adept at PS and I can usually massage things into shape in it. I end up creating more cusswords than images, when working in AI.

When one adds the strong possibility of relocation in the next couple of months or so, the option paralysis gets more powerful. Of course, the only way to know whether that's going to happen or not is to invest the money into biz cards at my current location, because that's how life works for some of us.

I'd looked at Moo. Seems a smidgeon pricey for what you get; I was aware of Vistaprint but after reading some of the comments here I think I'll pass. Seems like there was another provider I was working with on their website, but can't remember their name at present.* I'm up for suggestions.

(* Zazzle... that's who it was.)

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
Joined Aug 2005
Atwater, CA
Mar 31, 2014 15:51 |  #4372

dave63 wrote in post #16799625external link
Well, I guess I'll toss mine in here.

I generally suffer from option paralysis… the tendency, when confronted by multiple choices, to make none. It also doesn't help that I'm starting another business as well, so the branding needs from that have to be attended to, and there's a lot of overlap. I come up with many ideas then I sit on them, revisit them a little bit later, see how they fit. At some point I have to say 'enough!', and commit, so here's my choice. It still strikes me well, almost 2 weeks after creation.

I'm big on vintage fonts and styling at the moment. The brand of the other business is developing an "old transit sign/vintage signage" vibe, and I let that bleed over into some of my designs for the photo side. I'm happy with what I came up with - and came very close to putting it on the backside of this card - but have since thought better of it. Now I just need to figure out the backside. I like the idea of images, but then there'd be about 6-8 images I'd have to choose from, and I know how I am about that...
This was done in Photoshop. I know AI is better, and I have AI3 on ye olde G5, but I'm much more adept at PS and I can usually massage things into shape in it. I end up creating more cusswords than images, when working in AI.

When one adds the strong possibility of relocation in the next couple of months or so, the option paralysis gets more powerful. Of course, the only way to know whether that's going to happen or not is to invest the money into biz cards at my current location, because that's how life works for some of us.

I'd looked at Moo. Seems a smidgeon pricey for what you get; I was aware of Vistaprint but after reading some of the comments here I think I'll pass. Seems like there was another provider I was working with on their website, but can't remember their name at present.* I'm up for suggestions.

(* Zazzle... that's who it was.)

I'm not seeing "vintage fonts" here. Not sure I care for the random colors in the 'Photography'. I would emphasize your name/website more than the name photography.

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Mar 31, 2014 16:17 |  #4373

Font is Nevis, inspired by an older font from the 40's whose name I cannot remember. The 'G', 'M', and 'A' are good indicators; also the 'P' and 'R' are foundationally the same. The fonts for the other business are a little more stylized, but not much.
Brand colors have evolved into red and charcoal grey/black-ish over the past couple of years. If I'm keeping the front of the card that simple, I want some of the color in it. I'm not horribly, irreversibly attached to the color arrangement, but it doesn't make my skin crawl.
At least it's not a rainbow.

When I elevate to the Hobby/McNally/Heisler strata, I might reconsider a bit of a 'push', but I'm not one for sticking my name in front of someone's face as a priority over what I do. Feels brash. I'm good with sharing the bill.

Hikin ­ Mike
Joined Aug 2005
Atwater, CA
Mar 31, 2014 17:21 |  #4374

Don't mind the color combination, I do like that. I just think the 'O', 'O', and 'A' look random to me, no purpose other than they're vowels.

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Mar 31, 2014 17:31 |  #4375

"Johnny, tell Mike what he's won!..."

Yes. As I started to color the letters, I immediately realized that alternating each letter might induce a mild seizure, so I opted for the vowels. Just for the hell of it.

Hikin ­ Mike
Joined Aug 2005
Atwater, CA
Mar 31, 2014 17:43 |  #4376

dave63 wrote in post #16799987external link
"Johnny, tell Mike what he's won!..."

Yes. As I started to color the letters, I immediately realized that alternating each letter might induce a mild seizure, so I opted for the vowels. Just for the hell of it.

:lol:

Good luck. :D

BlessedShots
Joined Apr 2013
Apr 02, 2014 23:48 |  #4377

back of business card

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3696/13594388413_2fcf7a7b35.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/mHhN​48] (external link)

5DII Gripped // 7D Gripped // 17-40 L // 50 1.8 (happily sold 1.4) // AB400 // 2x YN 560EXII's // + Motivation

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Apr 03, 2014 10:05 |  #4378

I just saw yesterday that MOO is now letting you do multiple single images in one batch. Given as detailed and rich as your pictures are, I'd suggest using only one image per card and giving each one its appropriate space.

mannetti21
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
Connecticut
May 08, 2014 17:42 |  #4379

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7421/10392919564_1822ec7efe_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/gQoq​Um] (external link)MOO Business Cards (external link) by MMannetti21 (external link), on Flickr

For Sale: 82mm Marumi Super-DHG CPL filter in mint condition --> http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​473868
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

willspective
599 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Miami, FL
May 10, 2014 13:25 |  #4380

I think I remember seeing this in this thread when you first posted it -- business cards look fantastic! Great work.

willexternal link | webexternal link | gear

sponsored links

1,324,650 views & 11 likes for this thread
What do your business cards look like?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.