Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 30 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 15:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Using a Gun safe?

Lyle ­ Krannichfeld
Joined Nov 2009
Kihei, HI
Apr 30, 2014 19:35 |  #31

This would be handy, but likely too small. Almost bought one at a Costco road show before moving to Hawaii and selling all my guns: http://www.amazon.com ...=as2&tag=bestgunsaf​e0c-20external link

Fine Art Landscape/Wildlife Photographer on Maui: INSTAGRAM (external link) FACEBOOK (external link)
Canon 5DS R, 8-15 f/4L, 16-35 f/4L IS, 24-70 f/2.8 IIL, Rokinon 14mm, Aquatica housing for 5d3/5dS R with 9.25" Megadome, 2x YS-D1, 2x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, Gitzo GT2541, RRS BH-40, 2x PW+3's with Waterwizard housings, Lee, ThinkTank, Lexar, Pelican, F Stop.

sponsored links
jbrackjr
479 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Georgia, USA
Apr 30, 2014 20:09 |  #32

My first was installed by the seller many years ago. My second, I had delivered by truck to the curb. I rented a pallet jack and installed it myself (1300 lbs.) no problem once you've seen it done.

The only good deals you get in buying a decent safe is to get one used. If not, buying new is expensive.

Jim
Gear List

Lonehunter
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Apr 30, 2014 20:54 |  #33

I store my cameras in a safe, for me is a great option.

mwalsh9152
388 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Wakefield, Ma
May 08, 2014 09:31 |  #34

One FYI, in a fire your safe will turn into a sauna, its part of how it disperses heat. Any camera equipment will likely be seriously damaged, you might want to consider storing your gear inside some type of a container inside the safe

bogeybrown
86 posts
Joined Apr 2014
May 08, 2014 14:08 as a reply to mwalsh9152's post |  #35

My gear lives in Pelican cases inside the safe simply because pretty much everything else in the safe is tougher than the camera gear and if something falls, shifts, whatever, I don't want the camera equipment to lose the fight.

The Pelican case thing just made my life very easy while I'm overseas because I needed to send a spare setup to my girlfriend so she can bring it with her to meet me on vacation. I just asked my friend to get "X" pelican case out of the safe and mail it off, it saved a ton of headache describing what I needed.

Before y'all freak out, YES, I trust this friend with the combination to my safe while I'm overseas. He's earned it, and is the only other person on the planet with access to it.

Like everyone else, I bought the biggest safe that would fit where I needed it to, and the last time I was home I had to literally lean against the door to get it to close. Compared to my rifles/scopes my camera gear is the cheap stuff in the safe and listening to it groan as the safe was forced shut is going to force me to buy yet another, bigger safe.

Mark_Mason
593 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Hillsboro, Oregon
May 08, 2014 22:25 |  #36

I keep all my gear and guns in my safe.

IMAGE: http://m-mason.smugmug.com/Miscellaneous/Misc-1/i-TnCJJDh/3/M/safe%20pics%20001-M.jpg

It is bolted down and has seismic sensors on it for my alarm system.

Get the biggest one you can afford.

Canon Stuff

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,712 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2005
silicon valley
May 08, 2014 23:59 |  #37

Mark_Mason wrote in post #16891818 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

that's a great set-up. I have a 4-foot job box bolted to my closet floor where I set my gear bags into when I return home. not as secure as a safe but meant to deter snatch and grab burglars, and only cost me a couple hundred bucks. I also have a couple hundred pounds of weight plates inside the box so if you do manage to break it loose from the floor you'll have to lug it.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, 430exII, gitzo 3542, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,712 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2005
silicon valley
May 09, 2014 00:02 |  #38

Colt4570 wrote in post #16871721external link
Two full size floor safes, and would get a third if I had the room for another. Still need to look into some insurance as well. Not paranoid, just realistic, violent crimes are down, but property crimes are up. Typically, if they can't grab it in 5 min or less, they're not going to take it.

You can't have the "It'll never happen to me" attitude. If it doesn't, that's great, but it's better to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

so true. a neighbor had his house robbed a couple years ago. they pulled into his driveway and tossed his house, took all flat panels and electronics and were gone in 10 minutes.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, 430exII, gitzo 3542, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff

Mark_Mason
593 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Hillsboro, Oregon
May 09, 2014 22:48 |  #39

ed rader wrote in post #16891936external link
that's a great set-up. I have a 4-foot job box bolted to my closet floor where I set my gear bags into when I return home. not as secure as a safe but meant to deter snatch and grab burglars, and only cost me a couple hundred bucks. I also have a couple hundred pounds of weight plates inside the box so if you do manage to break it loose from the floor you'll have to lug it.

Thanks.

This set up has changed since this pic was taken. I have built a "wall" around it to keep people from being able to see it from the street. (its in my garage) and it's covered in "explosives" stickers and signage now. I keep some reloading powder in there. Heaven help someone that tries to cut it open with something that makes a lot of sparks/heat.

Canon Stuff

tnguyen600
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2009
Philadelphia, PA
May 13, 2014 08:16 |  #40

that's an awesome size safe. How did you get in it the house? lol Looks wide and probably deep.

Mark_Mason wrote in post #16891818 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Gear List
www.tvnphotography.com

jbrackjr
479 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Georgia, USA
May 13, 2014 09:59 |  #41

One guy with a pallet jack. All will go through a 36 inch door way and most will go through a 32 inch.

Jim
Gear List

Mark_Mason
593 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Hillsboro, Oregon
May 13, 2014 21:42 |  #42

jbrackjr wrote in post #16901466external link
One guy with a pallet jack. All will go through a 36 inch door way and most will go through a 32 inch.

This.

Mine is in my garage. Its very important to bolt your safe to the floor. I took the exta step of putting sensors on mine that are hooked to my alarm system, so that if anyone tampers with it, I'll know and send the Po-Po ASAP.

Canon Stuff

sponsored links

8,358 views & 0 likes for this thread
Using a Gun safe?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.