Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 15 May 2014 (Thursday) 15:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Pre-prom photography advice

kenjancef
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
East Providence, RI 02914
May 15, 2014 15:03 |  #1

I figure a prom is sorta like a wedding, so I hope it's ok to post this here...

A friend of mine is in a bind. He was going to have someone take shots of his daughter and boyfriend before their prom TOMORROW, and they pulled out at the last minute, so he is asking me to do it as a favor.

Now... I'm a sports shooter, so as far as lens choice goes, I'm not sure what to do.

It will be outside, in a garden area, mostly green grass, with a white gazebo in the middle. The weather is calling for mostly cloudy skies, with massive rain holding off until later in the evening. I am meeting them at 4pm. So here are my lenses/bodies:

1D Mark IV
1D Mark III

70-200mm f/2.8 mark II
24-70mm f/2.8 mark I
50mm f/1.4
85mm f/1.2

This isn't going to be anything fancy, but I still want to do my best. I am thinking of one body and one lens, just to keep it simple, but I'd like some opinions. Who knows... if I like this sort of photography, maybe I'll keep doing it... :)

Gear List
My Flickr Pageexternal link

sponsored links
Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008
NJ
May 16, 2014 07:01 |  #2

The forecast sounds promising, though you may need to watch for shadows in the eyes.

My recommendation is to take an Engagement Portrait Session approach. When I do them, I typically bring my 35 and 85 because we move around a lot and I want to keep myself very light and portable. In your case, however, you'll probably want to get wider than 50 at times and I suspect you won't move around as much, so I recommend putting the two zooms on your two bodies.

Search out engagement portraits for ideas on posing. I'm sure photos of a couple heading to prom won't be quite as intimate as these, but it's a good place to get some thoughts.

Robert Wayne Photographyexternal link

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
May 16, 2014 18:13 |  #3

Shooting is the easy part. Posing and directing them are another. If you are not going to be in any tight spaces then the 70 to 200 will work fine and take the 24 to 70 just in case.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

kenjancef
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
May 16, 2014 22:38 as a reply to scorpio_e's post |  #4

Thanks for the tips!

Turned out that the rain stopped just as I took the first few shots. I took both bodies and both zooms, but only used the 1D Mark IV and the 24-70. I know my settings weren't optimal, went 1/320 at f/3.2, but as I said, I'm a sports shooter, and was TOTALLY out of my element. I did some research on poses, so that helped. But I also know I need to work on backgrounds and such. I did the best I could with what I know...

Oh, and the funny thing (well, almost not so funny...), after I took the last shot and was quickly going through them in-camera, I noticed the colors were a bit off... I had the white balance set for Flourescent! I shot an indoor basketball game on Wednesday, and forgot to change it... but luckily I shoot RAW, so I was ok.

If these aren't so bad, maybe I'll look into it as an add-on for my jobs...

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5160/14014769837_c4c8312eb9_z.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nmrm​NH] (external link)AL0C0135 (external link) by kenjancef (external link), on Flickr

Gear List

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,012 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
May 16, 2014 22:58 as a reply to kenjancef's post |  #5

Turned out very nice.

Mark

kenjancef
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
May 17, 2014 00:26 |  #6

rrblint wrote in post #16910049external link
Turned out very nice.

Thanks!! Not bad for a first-timer. Much to learn though...

Gear List

tim
Light Bringer
50,842 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
May 17, 2014 01:59 |  #7

Nice work.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Sibil
Goldmember
4,908 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
May 18, 2014 08:54 as a reply to tim's post |  #8

How ironic. I'll be in your shoes in a few days. There will be a hired photog for couple shots, but I am asked to bring my camera for group/family shots. There will be about half dozen families. I am nervous as hell, as I know I'll have to deal with shadows, and must use shoe-mounted flash for fill. Gear-wise, I am covered, but knowledge/experience-wise, I am naked.

sponsored links

2,490 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pre-prom photography advice
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.