Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 11 Jun 2014 (Wednesday) 00:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #488 - Home decorating accessories

rpolitsr
Joined Jun 2005
Quito - Ecuador
Jun 11, 2014 00:46 |  #1

Challenge #488 - Home decorating accessories

Submissions

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/488_thumbnails_chronological.jpg

I was not sure about the topic, but it looks good now after your entries, thank you for that.

Comments in the order of appearance:

• teekay – G15 – Top Shelf Memories
    Looking at the the miniatures in the top of the shelf is the right attitude to remember the real planes or even to see yourself in a cockpit. Below the planes, the titles of books where famous writers, serious adventurers/investigat​ors and others share their thoughts means that life is a never ending experience. All very well expressed in an interesting photo. Thank you for starting the week setting the standards high.
    -
  • tuttifrutti – G1X – Part Of The Furniture
    "Furry and alive" was not initially part of my possible descriptions, but certainly cats stay still long enough to become part of the furniture. Nice attempt, cute image. :)
    -
  • Maureen Souza – Pro1 – Our Travels on the Wall...& Our Dog, too
    Almost a dual theme: The beautiful pictures hanging on the wall are a good decoration and the sofa a good place to sit and remember those travels. The dog is telling us "this is a comfortable place of my home".
    -
  • Spoco57 – G1X - Suriname Sam the wooden toucan
    The large beak of a toucan is iconic of all Central and South America forests. The carved name behind the bird is a nice addition to mark its origin . Nice decoration, nice picture. Why 'Sam'? I would like to know if it is the name of your ornament or the name of some typical Suriname character.
    -
  • OhLook – G15 – Miniature iron kettle where we keep garlic
    Enhancing the volume, the wood texture and the garlic skin with the lateral lighting was a great idea. The separation from the blurred background is nice. Only the symmetric patterns of the background play against the natural textures, but that is just nit picking.
    -
  • marie – G12 – base of the frypan hanging over the cooker
    Flat and thick iron used to be the bases of older frying pans. The pattern of this one is certainly closer to an ornament, and the camera angle adds the twist for a pleasant, unexpected and puzzling perspective in the photo. I am sure that without the clue of the title, this can be a real winner in a 'guess the object' contest too :)
    -
  • Raven – G16 - Navajo Wedding Vase
    The combination of the light, the background, the mat and the unique vase make me think of a museum display. Great to have at home such a beautiful thing and get this fine capture.
    -

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/488_thumbnails_winners.jpg

Raven, congratulations. Find an interesting theme for challenge #489 and Good Luck!

Regards

rafael

Home decorating accessories topic description:

Any of those small items that help to make unique your home. They can be on tables, hanging on the walls or from the ceiling, standing in the floor.
I hope you got the idea, I do not dare to list specific items by their names in English as examples.
Pay special attention to the light and choose three dimensional objects as the first option.
Objects in two dimensions are not forbidden, just be sure that the photo is not 'flat'.
Enjoy.

To submit, click Post Reply and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 16 June 2014.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II and Pro1 only.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the message subject line.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature
on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging"
(about a third of the way down the page).
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleriesexternal link
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
teekay
Goldmember
2,592 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Jun 14, 2014 11:44 |  #2

Top Shelf Memories

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

G15

tuttifrutti
Joined Aug 2008
Aldershot, Hampshire UK
Jun 14, 2014 14:04 as a reply to teekay's post |  #3

Part Of The Furniture

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2918/14417955231_0395945024_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nY4M​M2] (external link)Bart Chillaxing (external link) by ***tuttifrutti*** (external link), on Flickr

G1X

Hello...
My name's Ian and i'm a photography junkie :rolleyes:

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Jun 14, 2014 18:48 as a reply to tuttifrutti's post |  #4

Our Travels on the Wall...& Our Dog, too

Pro 1

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

Spoco57
Joined Mar 2013
Allegany County, NY
Jun 15, 2014 13:30 as a reply to Maureen Souza's post |  #5

Suriname Sam the wooden toucan

G1X

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3902/14242971897_50b2e2499b_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nGAX​jZ] (external link)IMG_4848 (external link) by spocoyankees (external link), on Flickr

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,176 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Post has been edited 4 months ago by OhLook.
Jun 15, 2014 18:21 as a reply to Spoco57's post |  #6

Miniature iron kettle where we keep garlic

HOSTED PHOTO

G15

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002
Jun 15, 2014 19:15 as a reply to OhLook's post |  #7

base of the frypan hanging over the cooker

G12
1/59 f3.2

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/image/156130953/original.jpg

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Seattle area, WA, USA
Jun 16, 2014 03:04 as a reply to marie's post |  #8

Navajo Wedding Vase

G16

IMAGE: http://jimowensphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v187/p935884972.jpg

~Jim

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2005
Quito - Ecuador
Jun 16, 2014 09:27 |  #9

Thank you for the participation!

Challenge # 488 - Home decorating accessories is now CLOSED for judging.

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2005
Quito - Ecuador
Jun 17, 2014 13:53 |  #10

Results on top. ( sorry for the delay ).

Comments are welcome.

rafael

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Seattle area, WA, USA
Jun 17, 2014 15:47 |  #11

Thank you, Rafael. Fun theme this week!
Congrats, OhLook and Maureen. Great idea for a garlic pot.
And, Maureen, some very beautiful photos on the wall. Nicely done collage.

I've collected Native American art for many years. Mostly Northwest NA (Alaska, BC, WA). That is, until we started vacationing in Arizona. I picked up this piece in Sedona, AZ about four years ago. So now Southwest NA art has slowly crept into the mix. :-)

Will post the next contest later this evening.

teekay
Goldmember
2,592 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Jun 17, 2014 18:20 as a reply to Raven's post |  #12

Congratulations Raven, OhLook and Maureen - three good choices, Rafael, although I might have given the edge to that neat little garlic pot.

My own entry was really just a quick snapshot (using onboard flash - yuck!) to get the challenge going and as usual after the others started coming in I thought of better ideas but as usual was just too lazy! :rolleyes:

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002
Jun 17, 2014 18:22 as a reply to Raven's post |  #13

:)
Congratulations to winner Jim
:cool:
and to OhLook and to Maureen
agree the winning shots are really beautiful
thought all the pictures just terrific
:) many thanks Rafael for hosting and judging.
thanks too for comments and beautiful display shown of winners entries

with the frying pan I was kindof trying }lol{ to go for the 3D effect which you mentioned in your request above for challenge entries. I was taking all angles (or should I say angels) ... on Sunday morning
lol
I thought Spoco's beautiful toucan may be 'the one' of the Guinness species, one they use in their ads, thought for a second he was the one :shock:
(which maybe flew away to his original warmer climes having had much too much of the dark stuff over here)
lol

anyone who knows not what I am talking about (per usual) lol . well, thats ok too

:D

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,176 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Post has been edited 4 months ago by OhLook.
Jun 17, 2014 19:00 |  #14

Thank you, Rafael, for hosting and for awarding me second, and congratulations to Raven and Maureen. Coming in right behind Raven's beautiful vase isn't bad at all.

The instruction to pay special attention to lighting was scary. Indoors, all I have that works decently is window light. This was the setup:

HOSTED PHOTO

Big window at the left, afternoon. Subject on an upside-down homemade wooden box, on the G15 box, on a dictionary, on a table. Behind subject: aluminum screen backdrop in front of white foam board. To the right: black card held in place with a plastic clothespin-type clamp at each lower corner and a CD set (Sibelius's symphonies, if anyone wants to know).

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Jun 17, 2014 22:45 as a reply to OhLook's post |  #15

Congrats to Jim & OhLook. I don't know about you guys but I took pictures of many things around my house & nearly entered my clowns. But then I saw Jack sleeping on the couch beneath the canvas prints & even tho my shutter speed was 1/20 hand held, I skipped the clown & posted this instead. We talked for years about putting our travels photos on the wall & just finally did it last winter. It was terribly hard to pick just a few out of the many thousands we have......;)

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

sponsored links

4,810 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #488 - Home decorating accessories
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.