Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 23 Jun 2014 (Monday) 17:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How can I make this more dreamy?

short_wave
664 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 25, 2014 19:20 |  #16

p00kienrayray wrote in post #16994455 (external link)
I like #1 as well. To me dreamy means soft, magical, almost fantasy-like (if that is any better description).

Arghh I don't have PS. I have Paintshop Pro X6, but rarely use it bc it's complicated compared to LR and it runs kinda slow on my desktop.

Glad you like my edit!

If you want soft and fantasy, shoot wide open to get max separation and melt the background. Perhaps wide open with your 28mm for some slight distortion.

As far as post, you can do quite a bit with LR, but you may need to consider your background. Shooting with strobe can also give you a surreal look when done correctly.

Feedback
www.john-benitez.com
insta: @johnbenitez

sponsored links
p00kienrayray
THREAD ­ STARTER
557 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Jun 25, 2014 19:57 |  #17

short_wave wrote in post #16994583 (external link)
Glad you like my edit!

If you want soft and fantasy, shoot wide open to get max separation and melt the background. Perhaps wide open with your 28mm for some slight distortion.

As far as post, you can do quite a bit with LR, but you may need to consider your background. Shooting with strobe can also give you a surreal look when done correctly.

I usually shoot wide open. Forgot why I didn't for this pic. As far as strobes, I have some, but this was more of a quick unexpected snapshot than anything. I probably would have missed the moment by the time I was done setting everything up.

Some cameras, some lenses

short_wave
664 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 25, 2014 21:01 |  #18

p00kienrayray wrote in post #16994641 (external link)
I usually shoot wide open. Forgot why I didn't for this pic. As far as strobes, I have some, but this was more of a quick unexpected snapshot than anything. I probably would have missed the moment by the time I was done setting everything up.

I wasn't meaning this shot in particular, just for future stuff!

Feedback
www.john-benitez.com
insta: @johnbenitez

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,448 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jun 25, 2014 21:17 |  #19

p00kienrayray wrote in post #16994455 (external link)
Arghh I don't have PS. I have Paintshop Pro X6, but rarely use it bc it's complicated compared to LR and it runs kinda slow on my desktop.

Here is v.10 (which is two versions down from current) unopened for $30.00.

http://www.ebay.com …tware&hash=item​2334838ba7 (external link)

Seller has a 99.2 positive feedback.

I would think about it.

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

bob_r
Goldmember
2,391 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 25, 2014 21:52 |  #20

If you like the soft dreamy look, you might want to consider getting a soft focus filter. I bought a cheap one on ebay recently and like it for certain shots. I used one of these ($24 one) for the shot of pink spirea: http://www.ebay.com …r-2-P840-Filter-/78779581 (external link)

I tried playing around with your image to see if I could soften it. I just selected the boy and some of the prominent bubbles and then selected the "inverse" of it. Then I selected gaussian blur and set it to 2.5. I then select inverse again and set gaussian blur to .5 for the boy and the prominent bubbles. I then deselected and just selected "blur" for the whole image to soften it even more. I may have reduced the contrast a little too.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

p00kienrayray
THREAD ­ STARTER
557 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Jun 26, 2014 00:03 |  #21

short_wave wrote in post #16994718 (external link)
I wasn't meaning this shot in particular, just for future stuff!

Lol, of course :oops:

Radtech1 wrote in post #16994736 (external link)
Here is v.10 (which is two versions down from current) unopened for $30.00.

http://www.ebay.com …tware&hash=item​2334838ba7 (external link)

Seller has a 99.2 positive feedback.

I would think about it.

Rad

I was looking at the latest version which is $60 digital download on amazon. Is there much of a difference?

bob_r wrote in post #16994790 (external link)
If you like the soft dreamy look, you might want to consider getting a soft focus filter. I bought a cheap one on ebay recently and like it for certain shots. I used one of these ($24 one) for the shot of pink spirea: http://www.ebay.com …r-2-P840-Filter-/78779581 (external link)

I tried playing around with your image to see if I could soften it. I just selected the boy and some of the prominent bubbles and then selected the "inverse" of it. Then I selected gaussian blur and set it to 2.5. I then select inverse again and set gaussian blur to .5 for the boy and the prominent bubbles. I then deselected and just selected "blur" for the whole image to soften it even more. I may have reduced the contrast a little too.

I have a 52mm Hoya diffuser filter that I loved using on my 40mm pancake for soft portraits, but that lens was sold so cant use it anymore. Gotta find a 58mm one.

Some cameras, some lenses

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,448 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jun 26, 2014 00:35 |  #22

p00kienrayray wrote in post #16994965 (external link)
I was looking at the latest version which is $60 digital download on amazon. Is there much of a difference?

I would not know. I am still using v 2 and perfectly happy with it. (Came bundled with my 10D)

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

PhotosGuy
75,258 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 26, 2014 09:41 |  #23

I have a 52mm Hoya diffuser filter that I loved using on my 40mm pancake for soft portraits, but that lens was sold so cant use it anymore. Gotta find a 58mm one.

Here's an old way to do it in the camera. Post #5:
Enlarging through Vaseline
It would be best to use a UV filter to protect the lens.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
6,487 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 26, 2014 09:53 |  #24

PhotosGuy wrote in post #16990795 (external link)
Take a shot. Then look for "the" shot.

A very good advice.

justamateur
214 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jun 27, 2014 22:25 |  #25

p00kienrayray wrote in post #16990235 (external link)
I like this idea, but it doesn't look right to me for some reason. Want a softer look.

If I understood correctly, you'd like to get some blur. Since I don't have photoshop to work with layers, I've tried blur in LR5. Sorry, it's very quick and very inaccurate, I just give you and idea. With photoshop it would not be so much "brushing" :)

Adjust brush- big size-sharpness- reduce the sharpness all around the picture except the area you want leave sharp.
I set the brush 100% reduction, it's obviously too much. Blur, click done.

Then you do adjust brush again, but minimize the brush to the average size of bubbles, change the number of sharpness and "wash" the blur out of areas you want.
Something like that. I also would change white balance warmer a bit. I did not touch it, but you can do a bit custom warming, imo.

I would do much better, but it's late night here, time to go to bed.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

3,636 views & 0 likes for this thread
How can I make this more dreamy?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.