Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Thread started 01 Aug 2014 (Friday) 10:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Experimenting with light painting: first shots

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post has been edited over 3 years ago by Levina de Ruijter.
Aug 01, 2014 10:15 |  #1

Hello everybody. I'm experimenting with light painting and tried it out on a pair of shoes of mine last night. I thought I would share them here and hopefully get some pointers? I also wonder what flashlights I could buy for this as I made these with a no-battery flashlight, you know, the kind that requires you to spin a handle until you're blue in the face... :D

This is a single shot and my favourite of the day (or night really)

IMAGE: http://cdn.ipernity.com/144/19/43/34141943.e3f70c42.jpg

This is a stack of three (one for the front, one for the side of the left shoe and one for the heel of the right shoe)

IMAGE: http://cdn.ipernity.com/144/19/45/34141945.bccf44cf.jpg

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Aug 02, 2014 16:53 |  #2

Wow... 48 views and not one comment? These must be really bad then.

Levina

erikfig
Goldmember
2,140 posts
Joined May 2012
Orlando, FL
Aug 02, 2014 17:34 |  #3

I like the first one, looks sexy and fashion to me. Watch the edge on your shadows while processing. They look weird. :D

Who cares about my gear?
FlickR (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Aug 03, 2014 16:10 |  #4

Thanks, Erik! Appreciate your comment and I'm glad you liked the first one.
However, I don't understand your remark about the edge on the shadows. Could you explain what you mean so I understand and can learn from it? Right now I look at the shots and am puzzled. These are my first steps into artificial lighting and it's like starting over again. :)

Levina

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,292 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Aug 03, 2014 16:14 |  #5

I thought I posted here yesterday, but either my post was removed or something went wrong in getting it onto the page. The gist was, I liked these photos but didn't have anything helpful to say about them.

Most of my pictures don't get comments, either. That's just the way it is.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Aug 03, 2014 16:56 |  #6

OhLook wrote in post #17074017external link
I thought I posted here yesterday, but either my post was removed or something went wrong in getting it onto the page. The gist was, I liked these photos but didn't have anything helpful to say about them.

Most of my pictures don't get comments, either. That's just the way it is.

Hi, OhLook. Well, you know, when posting in a dedicated thread for this or that (like "flowers" or "national parks"), one usually gets no responses unless the pic is exceptionally good. But when you start a thread in the image sharing section with a few shots, then yes, I do expect responses. Maybe I'm spoiled by the bird forum where people try at least to not let threads go off the radar with a big zero. :) Plus maybe this particular forum doesn't see as much traffic as say, the bird forum?
Anyway, thanks for the comment. As you can see I'm experimenting with light of a kind, but there's lots to learn. :D

Levina

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,292 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Aug 03, 2014 17:10 |  #7

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17074098external link
Plus maybe this particular forum doesn't see as much traffic as say, the bird forum?

It doesn't, not nearly. The numbers in the right columns on the main page bear that out. The bird forum also has its own culture, which includes the giving of "Nice shot" posts, which are minimal responses when they include nothing else. Wildlife and Macro are like that, too.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Aug 03, 2014 17:31 |  #8

OhLook wrote in post #17074120external link
It doesn't, not nearly. The numbers in the right columns on the main page bear that out. The bird forum also has its own culture, which includes the giving of "Nice shot" posts, which are minimal responses when they include nothing else. Wildlife and Macro are like that, too.

Yeah, there have been many discussions about the "nice shot" responses on POTN over the years. In most of the image sharing forums, people just want to be nice to other people, even if they don't have a lot to say. And most people who are starting an image sharing thread but not getting any responses will feel bad. So even a "nice shot" does mean something and it is better than nothing. Besides, forums in the Image Sharing section are for "sharing" and not meant for critique. Unless somebody specifically asks for it and even then you have to be careful as people don't take criticism well, even when they invite it. That at least is my experience.

However, I was not after a "nice shot" at all when I posted the shoes here. I am on terra incognita with this type of photography and simply need feedback, mostly on technique and I thought this was a good place for it, better than the Critique Corner. I loved how Erik had a real criticism about the shadows. Of course I'm just too moronic to understand so I'm hoping he will elaborate and I can learn something. :)

Levina

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,292 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Aug 03, 2014 17:54 |  #9

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17074143external link
Yeah, there have been many discussions about the "nice shot" responses on POTN over the years. In most of the image sharing forums, people just want to be nice to other people . . .

A marginally relevant confession: I'm realizing, shamefully late in life, that most people's main interest is people. That explains the popularity of small talk over the substantive conversations that would engage me more. It explains why the "How are you?" and "Happy birthday" rituals persist. Let me hear something original! Then we can really talk.

"Nice shot" has a purpose when it encourages a beginner, but once you're past the stage of doubting whether you can do anything worthwhile with a camera, wouldn't you want to hear something more specific that addressed your strong and weak points?

Besides, forums in the Image Sharing section are for "sharing" and not meant for critique.

I am on terra incognita with this type of photography and simply need feedback, mostly on technique and I thought this was a good place for it, better than the Critique Corner. I loved how Erik had a real criticism about the shadows.

Lucky for you that Erik violated the etiquette of the Photo Sharing section!

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Aug 03, 2014 18:48 |  #10

OhLook wrote in post #17074171external link
A marginally relevant confession: I'm realizing, shamefully late in life, that most people's main interest is people. That explains the popularity of small talk over the substantive conversations that would engage me more. It explains why the "How are you?" and "Happy birthday" rituals persist. Let me hear something original! Then we can really talk.

"Nice shot" has a purpose when it encourages a beginner, but once you're past the stage of doubting whether you can do anything worthwhile with a camera, wouldn't you want to hear something more specific that addressed your strong and weak points?

Lucky for you that Erik violated the etiquette of the Photo Sharing section!

I'm not very good at small talk either, OhLook, but find forums such as these not really the place to be for a good, in depth conversation. Those I have with my friends when we're together. The interesting conversations I did have here at POTN over the years, most always ended up being a mess because with a serious subject matter comes serious and passionate opinions and to complicate matters, many see such a conversation as a pissing contest and they just want to win the argument. So I have learned to stay away from such conversations, unless something that I really care about catches my eye and I can not be silent on the subject.

To answer your question: I could be wrong but it seems to me that an advanced photographer should know her strong and weak points, methinks, or she is not advanced. With my bird photography I know my strong points and I know my weak points and I take them both as is and don't care much about what other people have to say about it because this is as good as I can be at it. Having my weak points in my bird shots explained to me is pointless to me because certain limitations, specifically those related to my health or lack thereof, make it impossible to improve on those weak points. I have accepted that. So no, I'm not looking for any criticism on my bird shots. If you like them: fine. If not: move on. Either way is fine with me. And should I want an opinion, I will ask for it.

Like I did here, with this light painting stuff. This and product photography are new types of photography for me and I know nothing of it yet and I most certainly don't know if I have strong points as all I see at the moment are weak points. :D So for this, yes, I do like some feedback. And if you go back to my OP, you can see that I asked for pointers and some help.

I don't know if you were being sarcastic there, OhLook, but the thing is that there is no etiquette. ;) It's just that if you've been around these forums awhile you will learn that unsolicited criticism in the image sharing section is usually not appreciated and people will often be offended and angry. And so, Erik did not violate any "etiquette" but simply responded to my request for help, is all. :)

Levina

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,292 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Aug 03, 2014 19:59 |  #11

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17074249external link
I . . . find forums such as these not really the place to be for a good, in depth conversation. . . . The interesting conversations I did have here at POTN over the years, most always ended up being a mess because with a serious subject matter comes serious and passionate opinions and to complicate matters, many see such a conversation as a pissing contest and they just want to win the argument.

That's certainly true! Threads often get locked shortly after they become interesting. But there are threads like Composition & Arty Stuff that serve as exchanges for opinion and analysis of images and are very rarely combative. You can even say "Sorry, this one doesn't do anything for me" without starting a fight.

I could be wrong but it seems to me that an advanced photographer should know her strong and weak points, methinks, or she is not advanced.

Well, I was thinking more of photographers who aren't advanced and know it but aren't absolute clueless beginners and want to learn. In some threads, the more-advanced people occasionally offer feedback that helps me judge whether I'm on the right track and what to do in the future.

I don't know if you were being sarcastic there, OhLook, but the thing is that there is no etiquette. ;) It's just that if you've been around these forums awhile you will learn that unsolicited criticism in the image sharing section is usually not appreciated and people will often be offended and angry.

I wasn't being sarcastic.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Aug 03, 2014 20:13 |  #12

OhLook wrote in post #17074330external link
I wasn't being sarcastic.

Honestly, I didn't think you were as I believe you're not that kind of person. But I still have difficulty reading you at times and I wasn't sure, hence my remark. :)

Levina

JanetS
Joined Jan 2009
North Mississippi
Aug 03, 2014 21:19 |  #13

I like these photos, particularly the depth of the colors in the first one.
I've dabbled in painting with light, and your results far exceed any of my humble efforts.

Essentially what photography is is life lit up.
- Sam Abell

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Aug 03, 2014 23:58 |  #14

Thank you so much for your kind words, Janet, but I have a feeling that beginner's luck might have been involved in these! :)

Levina

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006
LA
Aug 04, 2014 00:04 |  #15

Nice.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

sponsored links

10,305 views & 8 likes for this thread
Experimenting with light painting: first shots
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.