Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Aug 2014 (Wednesday) 19:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens / Camera for European Travel?

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 15, 2014 09:44 |  #16

Jamooche wrote in post #17094926 (external link)
I hear you. Part of me wants to just use my iPhone.

I have been thinking this for a long time, then I regret it like an idiot because my 5D2 would blow just about everything else away. Take the 5DIII. You may feel it heavy at times, but you won't have regrets. For unimportant trips, sure, take the iPhone, but for real landscape and citiscape work, you won't regret taking the best gear you have.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

sponsored links
ctwatkins
526 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 15, 2014 10:17 |  #17

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #17097740 (external link)
SL1 plus 10-18 and 40mm pancake.

If the entire setup gets stolen you are out less than a grand. Leave the 5D3 at home.

^^THIS^^

There was a thread on either POTN or FM recently by a member who was robbed of all their gear in the street in Europe (maybe Paris). The police were of zero assistance and other tourists were in the police station at the same time reporting robberies. I think Rom gypsy groups jacking American tourists has gotten to be a huge problem. No way I'd risk a bag full of expensive gear traveling in Europe personally.

Gear: 5D MKIII * 6D * 35L (1.4) * 135L (2.0) * 24 - 70L (2.8II) * 70 - 200L (2.8ISII) * 200L (2.0IS) * 580 EX * Induro CT213 * PCB AB B800 (X3) * Pocketwizard Plus

vengence
Goldmember
2,100 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 15, 2014 10:47 |  #18

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #17097740 (external link)
SL1 plus 10-18 and 40mm pancake.

If the entire setup gets stolen you are out less than a grand. Leave the 5D3 at home.

This isn't a bad kit. The other I'd suggest is an RX100 mark ii. It's roughly the size of a cell phone, and will get you IQ & ISO performance similar to if not a little better than your SL1 & an 18-55. Did I mention it's the size of a cell phone?

squiLL
667 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 15, 2014 11:30 |  #19

Jamooche wrote in post #17094631 (external link)
I an going on a trip to The Netherlands and Belgium soon and have decided I want to take a minimal kit.

I'm leaning towards taking only the 5D Mark III with the Sigma 35mm f/1.4. It has been my go to setup for general snapshots. However, my 2nd even more minimal go to setup has been the Canon SL1 with the 24mm f/2.8 IS lens. They are basically the same thing but FF vs APS-C and 1.4 vs 2.8 IS.

I'm leaning towards the 5DII / Sigma 35.

Has anyone done a one lens single focal length setup on a 10+ day trip? What did you take? Would love to hear your thoughts / experience doing this.

Thanks!

I purchased an x100s for my honeymoon trip to Hawaii. It was the perfect camera for travel. Compact, but sharp as a tack at F2. I love shooting at 35mm, it is the perfect focal length.

Definitely beat hauling my 5D3 with my 35 F1.4

I definitely recommend it!

Mike Cassara
Marketing Manager - Tiffen Filters

Tiffen.com (external link)

Staszek
Goldmember
3,594 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 15, 2014 11:45 |  #20

ctwatkins wrote in post #17097855 (external link)
^^THIS^^

There was a thread on either POTN or FM recently by a member who was robbed of all their gear in the street in Europe (maybe Paris). The police were of zero assistance and other tourists were in the police station at the same time reporting robberies. I think Rom gypsy groups jacking American tourists has gotten to be a huge problem. No way I'd risk a bag full of expensive gear traveling in Europe personally.

I traveled with two 5D3's, 16-35 II, and 70-200 II in Paris and Barcelona last year and had zero issues. Just be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine. Tons of people get pick pocketed, but if you're smart, you can minimize your risk.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
5D3's | EF 24L II | EF 35L | EF 50L | EF 100L Macro | EF 135L | EF 70-200L II | EF 300 f/2.8 IS | 600EX-RT's | Quadras

ctwatkins
526 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 15, 2014 16:07 |  #21

ctwatkins wrote in post #17097855 (external link)
^^THIS^^

Found the thread I referenced here:

http://http://photogra​phy-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=1384992&highl​ight=Paris

Gear: 5D MKIII * 6D * 35L (1.4) * 135L (2.0) * 24 - 70L (2.8II) * 70 - 200L (2.8ISII) * 200L (2.0IS) * 580 EX * Induro CT213 * PCB AB B800 (X3) * Pocketwizard Plus

P4ulG
522 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 15, 2014 16:35 |  #22

Last I came your way to DC for 3 weeks and decided to take only the 600D and 24-105mm. I wish I hadn't. It turned out to be cumbersome and seemed to get heavier as the weeks went on to a point that towards the end of the last week I tended to leave it behind. I'd take your high spec compact.

Canon 6D Canon 600D Canons 24-105mm L 70-300mm L. 100mm F2.8 macro L IS. 16-35mm L nifty fifty. 55-250mm IS. Speedlights Siggy DG530 super Canon EX430II Vivitar 3700

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 15, 2014 16:57 |  #23

major tourist destinations will have tons of pick pockets, don't have your wallet in your back pocket etc. They do open backpacks and even steal lenses off cameras, in Paris it was mostly pretty teenage girls, well dressed and chatty.

I go to Europe about once a year (family) and depending on where I plan to go I either just bring a p&s or a slimmed down set of things. It's rare that I bring everything, since I travel with family (including kids) and can't stand at some corner for an hour waiting for the perfect light.

In Paris I had my 5d3 with the 24-70 Tammy and one other lens in a shoulder bag (that I could also drape over the camera a bit to make it less obvious, but I got tired of the weight (was hot and humid most days) and ended up shooting mostly with my G12. Much nicer experience and no problems with some places that don't even let you in with a backpack. I don't like checking a couple thousand $ with some kid on a summer job, LOL

ETA: watch your iphone or what you may have, much more likely to get stolen than big gear hanging around your neck. Treat it as if you had $300 in cash in your hands.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

MrWho
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 15, 2014 21:53 |  #24

I just came back from a 3 week stint recently, and it's a pain lugging around a large DSLR in a backpack. Journeys on trains and buses really drive home that a large setup will "take up half the bus" and make moving to the exits when needed painful when there's a crowd. There's also a difference when you have a car to drive your gear around and being on your feet with a heavy setup for 4+ hours.

If I had the kit, I'd take the whatever was closest to a MFT/mirrorless setup and keep that in a small messenger bag when travelling.

Gear

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,012 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 16, 2014 03:49 |  #25

Just spent three days in Lisbon and a week in wider Portugal with only the Pancake lens (and a camera, hurr) and ... it was perfect.

Been wanting something smaller and lighter for a while, not had the money to pick up another camera by Fuji or similar - this transformed my SLR into everything I really wanted. Smaller and lighter than with a zoom, plenty discreet enough for street work, and I don't feel like I missed many shots by not having WIDE ANGELS covered - but that's not my thing. Focal length on a full frame body is great, between 35mm and 50mm - not too wide, not too tight. AF isn't astonishing but unlikely to let you down too badly on vacation, and it'll really let you enjoy it - based on my own personal experience.

It's cheap and very cheerful, no need to invest in a new system if you're not looking to do that.

| Photographic for the People - New website coming soon. |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 16, 2014 07:37 |  #26

Owain Shaw wrote in post #17099399 (external link)
I don't feel like I missed many shots by not having WIDE ANGELS...

Guardian ones might help though...

garbidz
Goldmember
1,717 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 17, 2014 03:40 |  #27

5D III picture quality justifies the extra weight.
For years, I only had the FD 35mm f/2 SSC. Now I got finally the 35mm f/1.4 and it is sweet full open.
Still, if I really have to come up with presentable shots, I take the old 24-70 and shoot at f/4...f/8.
Sharp enough.

For street use, the Sony RX100 II is excellent and the version III might even be better with its faster lens.
The French do not like to have their pictures taken. They can get pretty obnoxious about it. You have to ask nicely and they like saying 'non' just because they can.

bag

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,012 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 17, 2014 04:25 as a reply to  @ garbidz's post |  #28

JohnB57 wrote in post #17099575 (external link)
Guardian ones might help though...

Oh, always. A must have.

| Photographic for the People - New website coming soon. |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

sponsored links

3,356 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens / Camera for European Travel?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.