Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 21 Sep 2014 (Sunday) 12:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Dear Canon

this thread is locked
Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Sep 21, 2014 14:16 |  #16

Scatterbrained wrote in post #17169110external link
On paper it has one of the best AF systems available in an SLR (maybe the best). The sensor is the only thing that is lacking (at low iso), but for the market the camera is aimed at it competes well with others in this arena.

What's it about the camera's ISO? Is it underperforming at low values?

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links
Overread
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2010
Sep 21, 2014 14:26 |  #17

In times past most pre-release RAWs are often under-whelming from most cameras. Sometimes its because the RAW codecs are not fully finished when the RAWs are made and so in the time between the shots being taken/processed and released and the time the camera comes out a software advance takes place. This is double true for anyone using 3rd party options as they won't have any codecs ready until AFTER the camera goes out for commercial launch.

So one element is the software isn't yet ready for the RAWs.

Secondly there's the fact that sometimes the RAWs require processing in a new way to get the best out of them - again this is something that tends to develop after launch as more people and different skilled people get a hold of them - work on them and start to revise workflows and concepts to get the best out of them

Finally there is always the element that the early shots are not all that good nor stunning - sometimes they can appear to be really rather poor - again more photographers - more skills and more variety opens up the market.

Honestly I suspect anyone making the big change in investment to jump ship on pre-release info is likely already wanting to jump ship and the pre-release just tips them over; or gives them a convenient excuse to spend all that money selling and rebuying and changing brands.

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

sirquack
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Sep 21, 2014 14:27 |  #18

35 posts after almost a year. Yeah, I don't really think you are really a Canon fan anyway. Good luck finding a Nikon you like. Any camera is a tool and with your post, I think you are as well.

Name is Ron.
Camera Bodies - T3i/(6D/7D2)-Gripped : Light - Yongnuo 565 EX/Mettle 600 Strobe
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Flickr (external link)
Edit photos as needed

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010
Toronto, Canada
Sep 21, 2014 14:28 |  #19

Why don't you tell us how you really feel OP.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

panicatnabisco
Joined Apr 2012
san francisco, CA
Sep 21, 2014 14:29 |  #20

I hope sony and nikon has a 7DII equivalent waiting for you

oh wait, they dont!

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24/1.4II | 24-70/2.8II | 24-105 | 50/1.8 | 50/1.2 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.2II | 100/2.8 IS macro | 400/2.8 IS | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8 Cinema BMD Ursa Mini 4k
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

sirquack
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Sep 21, 2014 14:31 |  #21

And it will be nice that a 7Dii will be there when I want to purchase one. I will be replacing my T3i with one probably some time next year. So for me, it fits right where I want it. The price is a little higher than I might want, but I user camera's as the tool they intended for, not some sort of magical talisman like your 420 name reference. Go back to your parent's basement and smoke yourself into a stupor.

Name is Ron.
Camera Bodies - T3i/(6D/7D2)-Gripped : Light - Yongnuo 565 EX/Mettle 600 Strobe
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Flickr (external link)
Edit photos as needed

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Sep 21, 2014 14:31 |  #22

lota420 wrote in post #17169012external link
I'm moving to NIKON.

And here's what the Nikonians are saying about 7DMKII. They're threatening to jump ship to Canon if Nikon doesn't respond to 7DMKII anytime soon!!

http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/13182​95external link

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sega62
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Sep 21, 2014 14:36 |  #23

SYS wrote in post #17169194external link
And here's what the Nikonians are saying about 7DMKII. They're threatening to jump ship to Canon if Nikon doesn't respond to 7DMKII anytime soon!!

Nah, we dont want them around, crying bout the sensor and DR.
Please stay away from the Eos forum pleaze

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Sep 21, 2014 14:38 |  #24

Alveric wrote in post #17169164external link
What's it about the camera's ISO? Is it underperforming at low values?

The 7DII sensor is essentially the 70D sensor with a revised microlens design (according to Canon their "all new" sensor has "redesigned microlenses"). Expect the low iso DR of the 7DII to be right in the ballpark of the 70D, just as the performances of all of their 18mp sensors were within spitting distance of each other. Right now Canon simply isn't competitive on the sensor front at low iso values. Of course most of the people looking to get a 7DII aren't looking to shoot at low isos.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Gaarryy
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
The Colony-- texas
Sep 21, 2014 14:39 |  #25

It is funny to read how the Nikon boards react. I still think both companies have shared agreements, this keeps people selling all the gear, to buy the competition for both sides. Why sell just a camera, when someone initial purchase will be camera and 3-4 lens

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

panicatnabisco
Joined Apr 2012
san francisco, CA
Sep 21, 2014 14:41 |  #26

SYS wrote in post #17169194external link

Its funny when the pendulum swings the other way:

"So what? Most do not care if it is just an improved 70D sensor. They are already pre-ordering the 7D2 by the thousands because of all the other killer features. The 7D was already a top-selling crop DSLR in the last few years, and the 7D2 will surpass those sales because it has the features action-shooters want without having to pay the high price of a 1DX."

Even Nikonions don't care about sony sensors, dynamic range and low ISO noise. Sports shooters dont stay at ISO 100

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24/1.4II | 24-70/2.8II | 24-105 | 50/1.8 | 50/1.2 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.2II | 100/2.8 IS macro | 400/2.8 IS | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8 Cinema BMD Ursa Mini 4k
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,287 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Sep 21, 2014 14:43 |  #27

sirquack wrote in post #17169182external link
35 posts after almost a year. Yeah, I don't really think you are really a Canon fan anyway. Good luck finding a Nikon you like. Any camera is a tool and with your post, I think you are as well.

Cameras should be tools, but every so often an OP is. ;)

Aside from spammers, this has to be the worst thread topic I have ever seen here at POTN.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12, Loxia 21, Loxia 35, FE 35 1.4, FE 55, Batis 85, Batis 135

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Sep 21, 2014 14:49 |  #28

Scatterbrained wrote in post #17169206external link
The 7DII sensor is essentially the 70D sensor with a revised microlens design (according to Canon their "all new" sensor has "redesigned microlenses"). Expect the low iso DR of the 7DII to be right in the ballpark of the 70D, just as the performances of all of their 18mp sensors were within spitting distance of each other. Right now Canon simply isn't competitive on the sensor front at low iso values. Of course most of the people looking to get a 7DII aren't looking to shoot at low isos.

I see. Bummer, I'm in the opposite camp: I loathe to shoot at ISO values greater than 400. :(

I'll hold tight to my 5D2 till I can afford the 1DX.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Tom_D
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
Napa ~ on the edge of retirement.
Sep 21, 2014 14:49 |  #29

If a camera release got you this upset you are in for a very long life of disappointments.

Gallery (external link)
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
More Wag, Less Bark

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Sep 21, 2014 14:54 |  #30

panicatnabisco wrote in post #17169216external link

Even Nikonions don't care about sony sensors, dynamic range and low ISO noise. Sports shooters dont stay at ISO 100

Some do and some don't, just like some Canon shooters do and some don't. Like I said however, the 7DII isn't aimed at the kind of shooter who is going to be worried about DR, it's aimed at people who want AF performance above all else, with high iso performance right behind that. With those criteria, I'd say the 7DII is positioned right where it needs to be.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links

6,079 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dear Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.