Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 21 Sep 2014 (Sunday) 12:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can someone explain to me what these Nikon threads do around the EOS forum?

sega62
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 21, 2014 12:58 |  #1

Got enough of DPreview forum being polluted by them.
The mods are off on sundays ;)

sponsored links
craigbeckta
186 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 21, 2014 13:21 |  #2

I guess it's just Canon owners who are annoyed that Nikon and
Sony have a better sensor.

I think people expected Canon to come out with a camera
that matched the new Nikon D810.

"Online Digital Photography Training ( Image Classroom )" (external link)

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 21, 2014 13:29 |  #3

craigbeckta wrote in post #17169066 (external link)

Nah....
Not me, i have enough dough to buy all system, believe me.
But would really like to have a open forum if that is the case.
And about waht you said, there is frustration on both side my friend.
Cant wait to get my hands on a great auto-focus for shooting birds, at a great price (7DmkII)

Not taking away the good stuff Sony does, and Samsung and Fuji

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 21, 2014 13:47 |  #4

I'm one of the Nikon people who post here. I wouldn't worry about it, but would suggest if you don't like the threads you not read them, or you could identify us and add us to an ignore list. I doubt the mods will take any action on your little rant, we've been here awhile, and Pekka has said we'll have our own camera/etc section once the new SW rolls out.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,761 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 21, 2014 13:55 as a reply to  @ rick_reno's post |  #5

It must be a good thing, since without knowledge about what can be done with other stuff we don't know what to do with the Canon stuff either, and in particular we don't know what to wish for.

Anders

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 21, 2014 14:02 |  #6

rick_reno wrote in post #17169115 (external link)
I'm one of the Nikon people who post here. I wouldn't worry about it, but would suggest if you don't like the threads you not read them, or you could identify us and add us to an ignore list. I doubt the mods will take any action on your little rant, we've been here awhile, and Pekka has said we'll have our own camera/etc section once the new SW rolls out.

Believe me I dont read those Nikon threads, its just a case of non mixing brands, that is why its called the EOS forum, and the day the new potn will be online, it will take a while.
I am very happy for you nikon camera, by the way and hope you have fun with it.
Surely this thread will be move, but hey got to say what i feel.
Its no rant, its just a point of view.

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
7,837 posts
Gallery: 1466 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 21, 2014 15:05 |  #7

I dont understand why people decide to be so one sided about there choice of make of gear, there are other sites out there where different makes sit side by side in a happy mixed forum, imagine similar models sitting next to each other in q/a and post picture sections, where people swap advice and info, without being elite st or bigoted about their own gear.
Many other sites out there but non better than this and if it was more multi/mixed user then that would be the icing on the prev-cake.

P,

Olympus E-M1 and some Zuiko glass

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,224 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Sep 21, 2014 15:21 |  #8

Why not? While there's a large gear head presence here, there are areas where brand loyalty is irrelevant. There are those who think that good photography can come from any brand. If somebody posts to the critique corner, I don't care what they used to get the shot. I look at the photo. f/8 on a Nikon is the same thing as f/8 on a Canon.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Overread
Goldmember
2,182 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 21, 2014 15:25 |  #9

Many members use both systems or have changed systems, but are still part of the community here on POTN. Just because they changed their tools doesn't mean they want to change the society and group that they interact with. The admin/mods have even made it clear that in the future of POTN they hope to change the sites structure to be more open to other brands not just be focused purely upon Canon equipment.

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 21, 2014 15:29 |  #10

Pagman wrote in post #17169273 (external link)
I dont understand why people decide to be so one sided about there choice of make of gear, there are other sites out there where different makes sit side by side in a happy mixed forum, imagine similar models sitting next to each other in q/a and post picture sections, where people swap advice and info, without being elite st or bigoted about their own gear.
Many other sites out there but non better than this and if it was more multi/mixed user then that would be the icing on the prev-cake.

P,

I have multi gear (fuji xe2), its just that it think it should remain Eos only.
Sure its good stuff all around.
But imagine if its full of other camera brands in this forum, it would be difficult to find the canon thread.
Anywy, if this happens they will surely pop up another more restricted one somewhere on the web.

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 21, 2014 15:30 |  #11

Overread wrote in post #17169315 (external link)
Many members use both systems or have changed systems, but are still part of the community here on POTN. Just because they changed their tools doesn't mean they want to change the society and group that they interact with. The admin/mods have even made it clear that in the future of POTN they hope to change the sites structure to be more open to other brands not just be focused purely upon Canon equipment.

I did not know that, if it comes to that i'll have a option.
But thinking of it, was'nt this forum meant to be so in the first place?
Multi brand usually gets annoying, full of bashing.
Just look at miranda and dpreview

Overread
Goldmember
2,182 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 21, 2014 15:48 |  #12

Eh multi-brand bashing is mostly a result of moderation - or rather lack-there-of.

Most sites run without huge wars and are multi-brand. In fact most of the time the whole brand wars thing is a totally artificial construct people "play" around with. You only ever get a tiny handful of people who are actually serious about it (mixed in with a couple of trolls who just want to see the site rage for a few hours).

I mean heck most of us own more than one camera brand anyway, be it DSLRs or smaller point and shoots along with the DSLR - or film cameras - or medium or large format. So we are already a multi-brand environment and multibrand individuals.

POTN would likely retain its strong Canon focus - it would just have subsections for other brands rather than just one or two MEGA threads (which are not all that helpful, especially to new people who can't always get into the the community who actively chatter in those threads)

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 21, 2014 15:57 |  #13

I hear you.
But what i was saying is if you have a fuji and a canon and a nikon for exemple, you dont mix em, thwy are three different animals.
And if i want to talk Fuji Xe2 I surely will not post here, and also i would not compare them, or if i do is with respect.
They only thing I read with the Nikon and Sony threads, is the sensor vs Dr.
Believe me its really sad after awhile.
Hope we dont get this over here.
I might get another camera brand in a near future, it will be the third one, but i'll post to the proper one, that is for sure.

kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 21, 2014 15:59 |  #14

POTN is an amazingly good forum, with a very nice culture and polite language. There is enough photo forums out there with a very hard cind of attitude inside the forum. Don't dare to ask noob questions there, you will be bullied away with: "google it", "wrong place to ask" messages in a very rude way.

I guess that is why most Nikon users are here. It is quite simply one of the best places I know about.

Most of the posts here are not brand related, so... why not join the place where you get a warm welcome. It surely is a great pluss for the forum that other brands are represented... I mean it is not decreasing the quality of the forum, the opposite is the case.

Living in Austria, I am so glad that there is stuff like Gimp out there...
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/41388512@N05/ (external link)

eth3rton
Goldmember
1,109 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 21, 2014 16:01 |  #15

craigbeckta wrote in post #17169066 (external link)

Troll much :rolleyes:

sponsored links

5,488 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can someone explain to me what these Nikon threads do around the EOS forum?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.