Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 30 Sep 2014 (Tuesday) 17:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #504 Town/Cityscape

Spoco57
Joined Mar 2013
Allegany County, NY
Sep 30, 2014 17:00 |  #1

Challenge #504 - Town/Cityscape

Looking for any town or cityscape. Night or day shot. Can be a backed-off wide shot, or a street scene. Looking for busy storefronts, signage, businesses, lights, traffic, people, no people, high perspective, low perspective... whatever you can come up with.

Lovely pix from everyone. Thanks for your contributions

Teekay: My Infrared Home. I am woefully ignorant of the process of infrared photography, but I am sure that this photo is at the far end of a learning curve. I love it. The white weeping willow and foreground trees balance the impossibly blue sky. Fantastic shot.Thank you

Rpolitsr:Growing to hide the Mountains. Great title. I can pick out those far peaks. I love the organic shape of the horizon contrasting with the linear geometry of the city. This is the kind of shot I was imagining as a cityscape. Thanks.

Sibil:Octoberfest Festival. A riot of color. White balance of all those flourescent light seemed to be no problem for your G11 because the colors look great. Everyone concentrating on winning a stuffed animal. Fun shot, and full of things to look at. I like the busyness of it. I appreciate your photo.

Cookie555:Leipzig waiting for a gap. A great shot of a city in motion. Wow, that train must have been moving right along.... it's just a blur. Very imaginative shot. I like the overhead wires and the Brasil signage. Very interesting cityscape. Thanks.

OhLook:Renovation. Ok, this one was a bit of a slow burn for me, but I have really fallen for it in a big way. Like a watercolor. I imagine those are SF rowhouses behind the curtain? This is a shot that really fires the imagination. How can you make a cityscape less gritty and more ethereal? Put it behind a shimmery screen. Fascinating shot.
Thanks

Marie:Temple Bar Dublin. Oh you have gone and done it. We had such a wonderful time in Irleand, and spent a part of a day at Temple Bar and had a great meal at an establishment very much like this one. I'm not a real beer drinker, but I very much enjoyed the draft Guinness in the Irish pubs, and your photo takes me back there. This is such an iconic scene... it sure visually expresses Temple Bar and Dublin downtown life! Thanks for bringing back very fine memories!

I liked all the submissions but had to pick so here is your podium.

Third:rpolitsr-growing to hide the mountains. This is a cityscape.

Second:teekay-my infrared home. I admire the skill and technique on display here.

First:OhLook-renovation. The more I looked at this photo, the more I liked it. Very cool!

To submit, click Post Reply and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 6 October 2014

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera (G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12 ,G1X, G15, G16) or Pro 1 only.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the message subject line.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature
on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging"
(about a third of the way down the page).
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

sponsored links
teekay
Goldmember
2,588 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Oct 02, 2014 18:42 |  #2

My Infrared Home

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/NoImage.jpg
G3 (IR mod)

rpolitsr
Joined Jun 2005
Quito - Ecuador
Oct 04, 2014 20:57 |  #3

growing to hide the mountains

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/504_cityscape_CRW_1372_960.jpg

powershot Pro1

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleriesexternal link
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
5,112 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Oct 05, 2014 06:46 as a reply to rpolitsr's post |  #4

Octoberfest festival

G11

IMAGE: http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/Mirook/IMG_5693fest.jpg

Cookie555
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Isle of Man
Oct 05, 2014 17:59 as a reply to Sibil's post |  #5

Leipzig waiting for a gap

G16

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Wayne

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,173 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Post has been edited 4 months ago by OhLook.
Oct 05, 2014 19:21 |  #6

Renovation

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

G15

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002
Oct 06, 2014 05:11 as a reply to OhLook's post |  #7

Temple Bar, Dublin

G12
1/100 f3.5

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/image/146478406/original.jpg

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

Spoco57
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2013
Allegany County, NY
Oct 06, 2014 13:04 |  #8

Challenge closed. Thanks for your entries. I'll be back this evening with a podium.

Steve

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,640 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Oct 06, 2014 22:55 |  #9

Congrats to the winners and sorry I did not make it in...... my week just got away from me. I will peek in as time and internet permits and be back the middle of November. Keep up the great work; I am loving all the diversity in here lately. :)

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,173 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Oct 07, 2014 00:08 |  #10

That's a surprise! I had no expectation of winning this time, especially after marie's impressive entry came in, with those two groups of three men framing the doorway and balancing each other. Thanks, Steve! The building is in the East Bay. It has retail on the ground floor in front and apartments upstairs and in the back. My shot shows the back, which has had scaffolding up and black fabric draping it for a long time in preparation for painting. I have yet to see any painting going on.

I think showing things partly hidden can add interest to an image, and that one shows a big thing partly hidden. The building isn't pretty on its own, and the black veil softens it.

Congratulations to the other winners, and thank you to the creators of all the city/town scenes for letting me see them.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002
Oct 07, 2014 05:02 as a reply to post 17198433 |  #11

:)

Congratulations to winner Oh Look
and toTeekay and Rafael
really loved all of the shots
loved the mysterious magical look of OhLOook's winning shot, also Teekays magic, and Rafael's great scapes
loved Sibil's bottoms on the seats seemly enjoying themselves amid a colourful and fun atmosphere
also Wayne's lovely shot, I too wondered at that flash of speed ! lol
many thanks Steve for hosting and choosing and all the wonderful comments. its great you enjoyed and are still enjoying the memories of the places you visited over here. a lot of the pubs exteriors enable one to enjoy their sights especially for photos, and you took some smashing photos overall of everything when you were over
Congrats all. thanks OhLook . lovely to see all the different aspects around the world
:cool:

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

teekay
Goldmember
2,588 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Oct 07, 2014 10:42 as a reply to marie's post |  #12

Congratulations, OhLook, on your winning shot, and thanks for the prized second place, Spoco:)

I was surprised that more entries didn't start coming in from the start as this was such a wide open subject but in the end we had, as usual, a fine selection. Liked them all but think my top choice would have been Marie's pub shot.

Re your comments, Spoco, about my infrared shot being the result of some incredibly skilled and complex technique etc., I have to tell you that it's dead easy with a camera modified for IR like my old G3. Just a matter of shooting normally and then some processing to get the desired colours. What I like about IR is its ability to cut through haze to get really sharp details. (BTW I have that camera for sale - if anyone's interested send me a PM).

Cookie555
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Isle of Man
Oct 07, 2014 12:54 |  #13

Well done all great variety again.
I had only purchased the G16 a few days before this trip.
It gave me a great chance to try it out and have a play.
I used the ND filter (and my sunglasses!) at f8 and ISO 80 to give a SS of 1sec

Wayne

Spoco57
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2013
Allegany County, NY
Oct 07, 2014 13:36 |  #14

Cookie555 wrote in post #17199350external link
Well done all great variety again.
I had only purchased the G16 a few days before this trip.
It gave me a great chance to try it out and have a play.
I used the ND filter (and my sunglasses!) at f8 and ISO 80 to give a SS of 1sec

I kinda guessed that maybe the ND filter was in play in that shot. Fun!

Steve

rpolitsr
Joined Jun 2005
Quito - Ecuador
Oct 08, 2014 03:28 |  #15

Congratulations OhLook and teekay for the top places. Thanks for the other beautiful and interesting photos too.
Thank you Spoco57 for the third place and the comment.
"This is a cityscape" Yes, it is :) I translated the basic concept of the English word: Buildings outlined against 'natural' surroundings.
Landscape or Cityscape are translated as 'Paisaje' into Spanish. We may need an extra phrase to describe the type of 'paisaje' required.
For my photo, I walked down towards the lower neighborhoods and used the full zoom (200mm equiv) to capture the buildings of the 'valley' and the row of tall buildings in the González Suárez Ave. atop the hill in the east.

To show you a view from the roof of my house, I'm including the center part of a pano toward the east during a cold day when the mountains were covered with hail.

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/504_quitonevado_central_ver2009_960.jpg

And a view of the city towards the south with the Cotopaxi volcano (19 thousand feet) in the background.

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/504_cotopaxi_CRW_3255_2005_06_25_360.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://rpolitsr.rafael​polit.com ...W_3255_2005_06_25_8​00.jpg] (external link)
click to see a 800 pixels version (external link)
This cropped picture dwarfed to 80x80 pixels was my avatar in POTN some years ago.

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleriesexternal link
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links

4,369 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #504 Town/Cityscape
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.