Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 13 Oct 2014 (Monday) 20:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Which pocket wizards for HSS?

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,415 posts
Joined Mar 2008
London, Ontario
Oct 16, 2014 08:33 |  #31

Numenorean wrote in post #17214983external link
I have the TT5's and TT1's with AC3's and AC9's and everything works great. I don't understand all these people that have problems. I use them all the time and I don't have misfires or any other issues. All of it just works.

I'm pretty much in the same boat...
I was an early adopter of the TT1/TT5, and love them! Not perfect, but pretty damn close!

I've really stopped using the TT1... found the range to not be quite the same, but range is almost never an issue when doing weddings.... the battery is the real reason I stopped using it - just trying to keep the spare stuff in the bag to a minimum... but I still have 1, and sometimes do still use it.... having nothing but TT5s in the bag makes it easy to setup/have extra for backups, etc...

The TT5 with rechargeable batteries is somewhat unreliable... but with throwaway batteries (good brands too) it is rock solid...

I understand that there are cheaper options now... some will call those better as well... no experience with those, but my experience with the Flex system, and PW support, keeps these devices in my bag!

5D3 x2 / 5D2 / 1D IV / 6D
Sig85 /35L/100L/135L/16-35L II/70-200L II/100-400L
B400 x2 / B800 x2 / ABR800 / VML x2
600EX x5
TT5 x8 /
PW TT1 / AC3 x3 / AC9 x4

sponsored links
AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Oct 16, 2014 08:55 |  #32

SMP_Homer wrote in post #17216036external link
I'm pretty much in the same boat...
I was an early adopter of the TT1/TT5, and love them! Not perfect, but pretty damn close!

I've really stopped using the TT1... found the range to not be quite the same, but range is almost never an issue when doing weddings.... the battery is the real reason I stopped using it - just trying to keep the spare stuff in the bag to a minimum... but I still have 1, and sometimes do still use it.... having nothing but TT5s in the bag makes it easy to setup/have extra for backups, etc...

The TT5 with rechargeable batteries is somewhat unreliable... but with throwaway batteries (good brands too) it is rock solid...

I understand that there are cheaper options now... some will call those better as well... no experience with those, but my experience with the Flex system, and PW support, keeps these devices in my bag!

Michel, I've always used my sanyo eneloops for my PW's. So does the 1.2v vs 1.5 alkalines make a difference??? I'll have to try ;)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,950 posts
Joined Jan 2005
S Yorks UK
Oct 16, 2014 13:30 |  #33

Alveric wrote in post #17214850external link
mmmfotografie, don't exhaust yourself, mate. Some consumers will never recognise value nor be attracted by it. All they care about is dirt cheap, and if the gizmo 'works' then that's good enough. They're the same group who find anything over 50 dollars outrageously, obscenely expensive; the same people buying Accents, Corollas and Versas because they're cheap and just work and 'for what I do, it's best bang for the buck', and whoever buys a Mercedes is an idiot.

And you know what? The blokes at Daimler-Benz aren't losing any sleep over the millions buying cheap Asian cars, nor are they lowering their prices in an attempt to cater to such crowd. And that is not to say that Mercedes and BMWs never have any problems or don't break down: they do, but those who recognise and, most importantly, appreciate value and excellent customer service, hold on to their cars and keep honouring the makers with their business even if the cars have to visit the garage every now and then. What is funny is that those who build the cheap Asian vehicles don't actually drive them: they drive premium European cars. Hmmmm... Wouldn't be surprised if the marketing department at Yong Nuo is actually using Profoto heads for their product imagery.

Truth is, most buyers are perfectly free to choose where to put their money, and if a vast group of them decide to buy tons of junk at prices they can't resist, well, all the power to them. What is indeed aggravating is then having them troll every single thread where PocketWizard is mentioned with their YN propaganda.

If the OP is asking for options, then by all means feel free to pitch whatever you think is best; but if the original question refers to a specific product/system, then be objective and provide advice that is apropos or browse off without saying anything. Telling someone to just sell that @#$%^ PW and buy something else, is neither objective nor helpful: it is a most infuriating form of trolling. How would they like someone bombing every YN-related thread with 'that's what you get for buying crap; sell that POS immediately and get yourself a pair of PocketWizards!!!' ?

Yeah, I'm so stupid, instead of selling the Pocketwizards I should have insisted all the local wedding venues turn off all their radio equipment while I shot the first dance. Or wired the place so I didn't need radio.

Why on earth didn't I think of that:rolleyes: it seems so obvious now, I should have stuck to a product that failed to work properly, because it's expensive. I should get rid of the PoS triggers that work perfectly and consistently because they're cheap junk.

:lol::lol::lol:

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Oct 16, 2014 13:48 |  #34

I use my 580 EX with the PW's no issues with that either.

Gear List

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Joined Sep 2008
So Cal
Oct 16, 2014 14:01 |  #35

C'mon guys... even PW folks admitted to this issue. And their solution.

http://www.pocketwizar​d.com ...ts/other_gear/rf_sh​ields/ (external link)

From PocketWizard:

RF Shields
When the MiniTT1 Transmitter and FlexTT5 Transceiver first came out, US photographers struggled with limited range performance when the FlexTT5 (340 - 354 MHz FCC model) was paired with a Canon 430EX, 580EX or 580EX II Speedlite. Radio frequency interference emanating from these flashes around the PocketWizard reception frequency was the crux of the problem. After extensive development and testing there are now two solutions to this RF interference issue.

IMAGE: http://top5lists.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/do-you-feel-lucky-punk.png

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com websiteexternal link ----- SportsShooter profileexternal link ----- Facebook pageexternal link

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,068 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Oct 16, 2014 14:49 |  #36

EmaginePixel wrote in post #17216569 (external link)
C'mon guys... even PW folks admitted to this issue. And their solution.

http://www.pocketwizar​d.com ...ts/other_gear/rf_sh​ields/ (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

And what do want to prove in this way?

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,921 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Oct 16, 2014 15:08 |  #37

mmmfotografie wrote in post #17216634external link
And what do want to prove in this way?

The comic point is as of this moment if you buy the PW set you run a risk of it working or not. Do you feel lucky? I dont doubt there are lots of satisfied users, nor do I doubt those with unresolved problems. So you take a chance.

benji25
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Oct 16, 2014 15:11 |  #38

I did not mean to start all of this. I simply assumed after hearing about them and reading a few reviews the PW was essentially the industry standard. After hearing your points and moreso because there is a solution that sounds as reliable for less I am likely going Phottix. Even better is I have found a local set on craigslist.

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,068 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Oct 16, 2014 15:19 |  #39

benji25 wrote in post #17216659external link
I did not mean to start all of this. I simply assumed after hearing about them and reading a few reviews the PW was essentially the industry standard. After hearing your points and moreso because there is a solution that sounds as reliable for less I am likely going Phottix. Even better is I have found a local set on craigslist.

Did you check out the site mentioned earlier by me?

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,415 posts
Joined Mar 2008
London, Ontario
Oct 17, 2014 07:46 |  #40

AlanU wrote in post #17216063external link
Michel, I've always used my sanyo eneloops for my PW's. So does the 1.2v vs 1.5 alkalines make a difference??? I'll have to try ;)

that's the conclusion I came to...

5D3 x2 / 5D2 / 1D IV / 6D
Sig85 /35L/100L/135L/16-35L II/70-200L II/100-400L
B400 x2 / B800 x2 / ABR800 / VML x2
600EX x5
TT5 x8 /
PW TT1 / AC3 x3 / AC9 x4

Trailboy
539 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Oct 21, 2014 08:07 |  #41

benji25 wrote in post #17216659external link
I simply assumed after hearing about them and reading a few reviews the PW was essentially the industry standard. A

They were for quite a few years, but their (admirable) early attempt at moving ettl and manual control to radio transmission was poorly tested and went to market too early.

Their refusal at first to acknowledge the problem and continued lack of any serious updates or mark II versions whatsoever is what has now buried them in the eyes of many, especially those who thought they were worth spending the large amount of money on triggers that, up to that point, had a golden reputation.

sponsored links

4,464 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which pocket wizards for HSS?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.