Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation
Thread started 27 Oct 2014 (Monday) 12:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Does this help at an airshow?

goldenturtle
137 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Western Maryland
Oct 29, 2014 23:29 as a reply to post 17240535 |  #16

Mayhaps he's trying to impress people who don't know any better.:lol:

sponsored links
chuckie365
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
San Diego
Oct 30, 2014 00:13 |  #17

Ok good...I thought he knew something that all of us didn't...lol :P

Few Canons...few lenses...
Flickrexternal link

http://www.scapeshots.​comexternal link

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Oct 30, 2014 01:24 |  #18

Shake N Vac wrote in post #17237171external link
I have seen a few people using flash on their cameras at airshows - there was a guy near me at Duxford this year with a 1DX and 500mm L glass with his canon speedlight firing away throughout the show. Not that it had the recycle time to keep up with his almost constant burst mode.

He seemed to think it made a diference when asked about it, haven't seen his photos so he may be right though I wouldn't have thought it would. He had a lot more kit (and a lot more expensive kit) than me so either knew what he was talking about or has more money to burn on gear than most :)

Also lots of tablets and phones with the flash on too.

And what good does that flash even do? Some people make me wonder. I even wonder how people can use a tripod at an airshow. What I even find more amusing are people who use a monopod. How is that even going to work at an airshow?

Shake ­ N ­ Vac
520 posts
Joined Sep 2012
UK
Oct 30, 2014 02:47 |  #19

seaninsa wrote in post #17241133external link
And what good does that flash even do? Some people make me wonder. I even wonder how people can use a tripod at an airshow. What I even find more amusing are people who use a monopod. How is that even going to work at an airshow?

I was hedging my bets with 'money to burn' over knowing something everyone else didn't.

Never managed tripods/monopods at airshows myself either. The strain it takes off your arms is more than accounted for by having to crouch every time the plane goes up and the camera has to be titlted. Maybe theres a technique to it but I just felt compelled to lift the tripod off the ground every time the Eurofighter did its rocket into the skies thing.

Canon 6D / Canon 70-200 IS ii / Sigma 100 Macro f2.8 / 50mm f1.8
www.sm-wedding-photography.co.uk (external link)

texaskev
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
Austin & Dallas Texas
Oct 30, 2014 03:04 as a reply to post 17240535 |  #20

If he had them turned on then that was just (dare I say it) dumb. I'd tell the guy to google 'inverse square law of light'.

Canon 1DX II, 1DX, 11-24 F4 L, 100 F2.8 L, 16-35 F2.8 L II, 17-40 F4 L, 24-70 F2.8 L II, 24-105 F4 L II, 70-200 F2.8 L II

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Oct 30, 2014 03:08 |  #21

Just happened to be passing by...

I can't imagine flash helping outdoors at airshow distances in any way. Wish I had his AA Battery contract.

I have seen flash used outdoors, pointing straight up but with the white bounce panel extended. You'd be surprised how much that can help put a little life in eyes or open shadows under hats. Yes, it can help...

<re-engage cloaking device>

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,066 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010
Nelson, New Zealand
Oct 30, 2014 03:12 |  #22

seaninsa wrote in post #17241133external link

Using an EF 600 f4 on a tripod with gimballed head makes a heap of sense, if the tripod is tall enough. There is no restriction to movement and the exposure can be kept slow enough to get a good prop blur....hard to do with a 12 lb lens hand held! But I take your point about conventional tripods...way too cumbersome.

As for flash...:confused::confused:

Growing old disgracefully!

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,066 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010
Nelson, New Zealand
Oct 30, 2014 03:13 |  #23

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #17241187external link
Just happened to be passing by...

I can't imagine flash helping outdoors at airshow distances in any way. Wish I had his AA Battery contract.

I have seen flash used outdoors, pointing straight up but with the white bounce panel extended. You'd be surprised how much that can help put a little life in eyes or open shadows under hats. Yes, it can help...

<re-engage cloaking device>

Hi Jay!

Growing old disgracefully!

Gary ­ McDuffie
Goldmember
3,022 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Scottsbluff, NE USA
Oct 30, 2014 23:23 |  #24

Re-emergence!

Gary
"I'm not much of an artist, but I like to document certain things that I see."
----------
5DII, 7D, some L, Manfroto one and three legged devices, shooting & learning bit by bit via POTN

TheBigDog
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Sicklerville, NJ, USA
Oct 31, 2014 10:31 |  #25

jwol wrote in post #17240520external link
So that's how I should be dealing with back lighting!:rolleyes: As someone already said, ain't gona work on a plane flying a quarter mile away.

Ha, we've been doing it wrong all this time John!

Chris
http://www.cegphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link) * Facebook (external link)
Nikon D5 * D810 * 24-70 f/2.8 * Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art * 105mm f/2.8 * 70-200 f/2.8 * 80-400mm * Sigma Sport 150-600mm

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
Emerald Coast, FL
Nov 01, 2014 22:27 |  #26

I'm not sure which is more amazing... the rig or Jay popping his head back in here!

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lostexternal link
Gear list and some feedback

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Nov 03, 2014 03:01 |  #27

those of us that have been around awhile are less impressed with rigs as we are photos. Just sayin... ;)

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

sponsored links

4,191 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does this help at an airshow?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.