Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 17 Oct 2014 (Friday) 00:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

iMac Retina and resolution of current cameras

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Oct 22, 2014 07:09 |  #46

AJSJones wrote in post #17226288external link
That was true in Ansel Adams's time, but not today. Today, a display or a camera with more pixels has more resolution (whether you like it or not:D there are now two separate definitions of the word: - 1) how many distinct details can be perceived and 2) how small are the details that can be perceived)

I was not aware Mr. Adams shot digital, I thought he felt with film grain and that is very, very different form pixel structure.

Resolution comes from the source and is never even to the pixel structure of a sensor. Same goes for the monitor. Between the MTF and Kell Factor the resolution never equals the pixel structure when going from an analog capture to a digital medium and back again.

I try to make art by pushing buttons

sponsored links
Shake ­ N ­ Vac
520 posts
Joined Sep 2012
UK
Oct 22, 2014 07:30 |  #47

Looks rather nice but I wish they would do it without a glossy screen, I just can't work on them. I'm sure it's just personal preference but I much prefer a screen that isn't glossy.

Canon 6D / Canon 70-200 IS ii / Sigma 100 Macro f2.8 / 50mm f1.8
www.sm-wedding-photography.co.uk (external link)

AJSJones
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2001
California
Oct 22, 2014 13:22 |  #48

K Soze wrote in post #17226804external link
I was not aware Mr. Adams shot digital, I thought he felt with film grain and that is very, very different form pixel structure.

Well, that was rather the point, so to speak. Resolution used to mean something else

Ansel Adams, "The negative", 1981 (p. 20) wrote
Resolution refers to the ability of the film to render distinguishably fine detail, measured by photographing a test chart made up of closely spaced lines.

The idea that a 4x5 piece of Kodak Plus X would have more resolution than a 35mm FF piece would have seemed ludicrous to him:D

My picture galleriesexternal link

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Nov 03, 2014 18:46 |  #49

CyberManiaK wrote in post #17220884external link
Well it's not a pretty much standard one, it's one meant for laptops it is the m290x gpu. here is an interesting analysis http://www.extremetech​.com ...-5k-out-of-a-last-gen-gpuexternal link

That site is wrong. It's been since proven by users and reviewers that the new iMacs do run at 60hz at 5K. Extremetech AssUMed too much, but it did get them a lot of page hits. LOL

I do agree though Apple went with the wrong GPUs, and the Nvidia 9xxM options would have been a far more powerful/energy efficient choice (price might have been a reason though, don't know).

Doesn't Retina have display options allowing everything to remain the same size as a 1440p screen screeen, it just doubles the pixels for a smoother look? That would be perfect for most people but when editing a photo in PS I would like the other option. I wonder if you can choose "per program"

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Nov 03, 2014 19:29 as a reply to AJSJones's post |  #50

double post

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Nov 03, 2014 19:29 |  #51

AJSJones wrote in post #17227447external link
Well, that was rather the point, so to speak. Resolution used to mean something else

The idea that a 4x5 piece of Kodak Plus X would have more resolution than a 35mm FF piece would have seemed ludicrous to him:D

Resolution is resolution

AJSJones
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2001
California
Nov 03, 2014 20:50 |  #52

K Soze wrote in post #17250510external link
Resolution is resolution

A post is a post.
Doesn't really help much to say X is X, does it?:D
If you were to say what you mean by X it might be a post.

My picture galleriesexternal link

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Nov 04, 2014 00:13 |  #53

http://arstechnica.com ...at-60hz-at-5k-resolution/external link

Bonbridge
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
Netherlands
Nov 05, 2014 15:49 |  #54

I think I am going to buy one.

Not the standard one but probably with two upgrades.

- 4.0-GHZ quad-core intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4,4 GHz (upgrade)
- 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4 GB
- 512 GB flash (upgrade)
- AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2GB GDDR5

+ Magic mouse and wireless keyboard

I am going to use it for internet and photo edit (Lightroom). Is this the right choice or am I missing and/or overupgrading something?

5DII + 6D | 16-35/4.0L IS | Σ35/1.4A | 40/2.8 | Σ85/1.4A | 85/1.2L II | 70-200/2.8L IS II
iMac Retina 5k | i7 | 24Gb RAM | 512GB Flash | 4GB M295X

Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
Joined Jan 2013
Out of the pack
Nov 05, 2014 17:29 |  #55

Bonbridge wrote in post #17254309external link
I think I am going to buy one.

Not the standard one but probably with two upgrades.

- 4.0-GHZ quad-core intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4,4 GHz (upgrade)
- 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4 GB
- 512 GB flash (upgrade)
- AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2GB GDDR5

+ Magic mouse and wireless keyboard

I am going to use it for internet and photo edit (Lightroom). Is this the right choice or am I missing and/or overupgrading something?

For PC (Microsoft windows) it might be enough ...
For Mac (OSX) you don't need all that power ...

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Nov 05, 2014 22:06 |  #56

^^ Curious guys, do you think 512 GB SSD is enough for a primary drive? I plan on using externals to store my pictures, and have gone back and forth on Fusion or SSD. Fusion gets great reviews from people who have used both and have said that even after exceeding the SSD limit, they don't really notice much difference in their real world usage compared to SSD machines they might have (beit another iMac, Macbook, or Mini).

Even by keeping pics on externals, apps and game installs are getting bigger and bigger (especially since a lot of developers only offer suite options). I wonder if 3 years down the road if that 512GB would be too wee? :)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
Joined Jan 2013
Out of the pack
Nov 06, 2014 00:38 |  #57

drisley wrote in post #17255026external link
^^ Curious guys, do you think 512 GB SSD is enough for a primary drive? I plan on using externals to store my pictures, and have gone back and forth on Fusion or SSD. Fusion gets great reviews from people who have used both and have said that even after exceeding the SSD limit, they don't really notice much difference in their real world usage compared to SSD machines they might have (beit another iMac, Macbook, or Mini).

Even by keeping pics on externals, apps and game installs are getting bigger and bigger (especially since a lot of developers only offer suite options). I wonder if 3 years down the road if that 512GB would be too wee? :)

Do it ! it's years now i store all pictures only on external drive, i "lightroom" them on external drive, LR Catalog also on external drive, it work very well, no more thinking about space on my internal HDD, over all it's a mind free and it's very practical (plug in different computer, whatever, you are free)
And now the external drive are very, very cheap ;)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,717 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Mar 2003
Hamilton, New Zealand
Nov 06, 2014 02:10 |  #58

chris panas wrote in post #17220095external link
Unfortunately most of the internet still hasn't adjust itself to the current retina displays, so I think it's gonna take some time before everything will look equally good on new iMac's screen. For now and at least for a year or two - there will be a a lot of websites not ready for a retina display with this resolution, which means most of the photos on the websites will look bad, that includes these forums here. I hated looking at photo threads on my retina macbook pro, all the photos were pixelated and scaled up. Not even gonna mention watching movies that are not in good enough quality :)

it's just not the internet. Apps within Windows has caught up to the higher res screesns. Even native apps within Windows sometimes doesn't scale up that well. And that's with Win8.1. Perhaps if they fix this issue with Win10 then that might force a lot of people to upgrade.

moving right a long, perhaps this will force the likes of Canon to have bigger than 20mpx cameras. Once everyone has gone to 4K or 5K or 6K or what ever comes next then the current size mpx of cameras isn't going to cut it.

But perhaps the next best thing isn't so much just a 16:9 format or even 16:10 format monitor but 21:9 ratio monitor.

http://petapixel.com ...itor-great-happens-curve/external link

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

lance60031x
ISO composure
Joined Apr 2013
Chicago area, IL USA
Nov 06, 2014 06:42 |  #59

OT - This is not really about camera pixels and screens - but I must say I picked up a "basic" imac retina and was having second thoughts until I got it up and running and some of my photos into LR. OMG - it is like comparing SD TV channels to a true HD channel. I am glad I moved from my old 5 yr old imac.

7d mii, 5d miii, 70-200 f2.8 ii, 17-40 f4, 24-70 f2.8 ii, 24-105 f4, 100 macro L, 300 f4 canon 50 1.4, canon 85 1.8, siggy 35 f1.4 siggy 50 1.4 A

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,305 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
Nov 06, 2014 07:47 |  #60

Resolution is one thing...but how accurate are the colours and how easily are these new monitors to calibrate. For fine print work, colour accuracy is more important than resolution.

Anyone have experience with these new 4k / 5k monitors when it comes to colour accuracy and calibration?

sponsored links

10,511 views & 0 likes for this thread
iMac Retina and resolution of current cameras
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.