Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 28 Sep 2008 (Sunday) 14:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What's Your Computer Build?

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,566 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Utah, USA
Feb 24, 2014 00:39 |  #1591

sapearl wrote in post #16712371external link
Thanks Erik, I appreciate the input. DROBO uses their own flavor of RAID5 which has the flexibility of adding different sized drives. Others may also do this but they do it in a sort of no-muss-no-fuss arrangement with some other useful features.

It also means you are up !@#$ creek if it has any hiccups. Stick with the standard RAIDs, IMO.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links
Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,670 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Feb 24, 2014 05:47 |  #1592

Well, i think i will stay with my old parts for now, 5 desktops and 4 laptops are a lot, so i have no plan to buy newest parts again for another build, whenever i need to upgrade i will.

The only thing that will make me worried of my computers is if i will start doing very heavy tasks, such as editing videos or doing giga panos, what do you think i need if i go that far level?

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/external link
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Feb 24, 2014 06:36 |  #1593

tkbslc wrote in post #16712557external link
It also means you are up !@#$ creek if it has any hiccups. Stick with the standard RAIDs, IMO.

That's always confused me - what exactly are the standard RAIDS? RAID5 which DROBO uses has been around for many years.

What's nice about the new 5D DROBO is you can have it loaded with three physical hard disks, one of those can fail and the system will automatically rebuild itself as soon as you replace the failed device. They still recommend an off-site backup though as further "insurance."

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

silvrr
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2007
Chicago,IL
Feb 24, 2014 06:57 |  #1594

sapearl wrote in post #16712905external link
They still recommend an off-site backup though as further "insurance."

IMO you should always have an off site backup. Having your files backed up is good but if stored in the same location a fire or flood can quickly take out both copies. And with the large portable hard drives available these days it makes it really easy to do.

Canon 6D l 24-70 f/4L l 100L l 430EX l 430EX II l Kenko Extension Tubes l Sigma 50 Art
flickr (external link) FeedBack

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Feb 24, 2014 07:00 |  #1595

silvrr wrote in post #16712931external link
IMO you should always have an off site backup. Having your files backed up is good but if stored in the same location a fire or flood can quickly take out both copies. And with the large portable hard drives available these days it makes it really easy to do.

Absolutely agree with this philosophy. For years I've had one of those little WD Passports that came to work with me on a daily basis ;)

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
Joined Jun 2009
San Jose, CA
Feb 24, 2014 09:22 |  #1596

sapearl wrote in post #16712905external link
What's nice about the new 5D DROBO is you can have it loaded with three physical hard disks, one of those can fail and the system will automatically rebuild itself as soon as you replace the failed device. They still recommend an off-site backup though as further "insurance."

That is RAID5 - a striped array of redundant data configured so that any one failed device won't kill the array.

There are a variety of standard RAIDsexternal linkfrom level 0 to level 6 that have various combinations of mirroring and striping to improve speed and reliability.

The difference may be in the implementation. I like using the Adaptec products because I know they are internally compatible. If I create a RAID 5 on a 5405, for instance, and the card fails then I can replace the card with another, newer version of the same card or any card from that family and the controller will pick up on the metadata in the array (indicating configuration, etc.) and nothing will be lost.

I don't have the same confidence for DROBO or for any of the onboard RAID solutions.

Since the entire reason I use RAID is for confidence I'm going to maximize that with proven alternatives.

The nice side benefit of buffered RAID cards is that they perform better than most other solutions too...

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.comexternal link

Bumgardnern
976 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Nashvegas
Feb 26, 2014 21:47 |  #1597

Here it the current build that I am working on. This rig will be running OSX and I may add dual boot at some point.

PCPartPicker part listexternal link / Price breakdown by merchantexternal link / Benchmarksexternal link

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processorexternal link ($329.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboardexternal link ($131.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memoryexternal link ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Diskexternal link ($155.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB Video Cardexternal link ($154.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Caseexternal link ($69.99 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supplyexternal link ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Eizo FS2333-BK 60Hz 23.0" Monitorexternal link ($387.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $1415.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-26 22:45 EST-0500)

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Nov 06, 2014 22:27 |  #1598

I need to replace my PC I built 10 years ago, it was loaded at the time, even got an IPS monitor from Dell (same as the Apple Cinemas), used only the best parts and it still runs Win7 and PS CC 2014 (I even did a 120 layer edit on this machine with 2GB ram LOL).

But it's served it's time. Last autumn I tried to go mac, but ended up going back, to PC, as all 3 iMacs I bought had defective screens (dead pixels, then colour grading (blue to yellow), then a huge smudge inside). The OS is elegant, but after being a Windows user for 18 years it was hard to get used to (limitations especially with video as there are no apps to quickly cut/edit avi,wmv, mp4's for the mac, my go to is AviDemux but the mac version was buggy has hell, I think because it's not supported on Mavericks or newer). Also my go to email for 15 years is through Outlook.com (my ISP moved us over a few years ago keeping same email accounts) and on the PC using Office 2013 I can sync emails, contacts and seamlessly using Exchange Activesync, which is NOT available on a mac, even with the Office for Mac software. (ironically Activesync works with the iPhone, so my email and contacts and calendars work fine).

But to the point, I may just build my own PC again, but unlike when I used to do it all the time 10 years ago, the number of motherboard (and chipset), CPU, and memory options has grown exponentially.

What would be a good start for a high end motherboard with the latest chipset, not overclocking or extreme gaming, but something that is fairly "future proof" as my Asus A8N Deluxe was 10 years ago? And a good 4GB video card that is fast, but not necessarily the fastest 980 (I prefer Nvidia and still don't know why Apple went with the AMD GPU instead of the new much faster, lower power 9xxM's from Nvidia).

I know it's a lot to ask but I figure I would try. I'm having a really hard time spending $4k cdn with tax on a iMac (it's not even maxed out).

I know I can't match the iMac's screen, but even two good 27" 1440p IPS screens would be nice (maybe even 24" 1440p IPS).

Just brainstorming here.

Btw, I kind of like the white cases like Bumgardnern's Prodigy, or the Phantom case (which is much bigger).

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

bikfoto
Alexander the Wannabe
420 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Nov 07, 2014 12:46 |  #1599

Well, I've been in your shoes. Being an IT guy, you know I'm all Windows :) ! But last months I finally made a switch and got a Mac. Well, up to this day I've never looked back. In fact, I could do tons of network programming via Terminal to write my bash scripts. As for the specs, you don't only pay for them. You pay for the whole Mac-OS. It runs smooth on minimal hardware. I've also installed Parrallels being afraid of Mac OS initially :) This gives me a chance to use my same desktop via Win environment with Windows 10 Beta.
I think for typical photography you'll need:
- Core i7 4790 or faster
- 16Gb RAM (could do with 8Gb though)
- nVidia 740 or faster video card (doesn't have to be over 2gb)
- SSD - a must if converting Tiffs to Jpegs to Raw e.t.c.
A nice screen obviously is required.

bikfotoexternal link
Need a WEBSITE?external link
Gear & Feedback
flickrexternal link

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Nov 07, 2014 15:36 |  #1600

Thanks bikfoto. What size SSD did you get? That's a big conundrum IF I go to the mac. The Fusions look good but there are some downfalls (Bootcamp would be HDD only). I want to use at least Parallels since the Mac does not have any good small video editing software. By that I mean things like Avidemux or Virtualdub for easily cutting up avi, wmv, mp4, mkv files (or quickly converting them). Or at least I didn't find any (Avidemux is there but no real support once Mavericks arrived, it was buggy and slower on the i7 iMac I tried than my 10 year old athlon PC)

I often have to cut up and edit avi, mp4 files especially, and reoutput without reencoding (something that's easy on Windows).

Maybe the odd game too, I never have more than one at a time on my PC (heck I haven't played any in 6 years probably, but would be nice for a break with a powerful computer).

Thanks for the feedback bikfoto.

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

vienhuynh
305 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Nov 10, 2014 07:49 |  #1601

CPU: Intel i52500K
CPU Cooler: Cheap stuff $30 or something
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 pro B3
GPU: MSI 4G 970GTX
Memory: 8 GB Ram Corsair Vengeance
Hard Drive: Samsung F3 spin point
Power Supply: Corsair 750W
Case: HAF 932
Display: Samsung Syncmaster S24B300
Speakers: Creative T50
I/O Devices: Logitech G15 Keyboard, Logitech Proteus Core mouse, Wacom Tablet
Photo Related Software: Photoshop CS

6D|Canon EF 24-70mmL f2.8ii|Canon EF 17-40mmL|Canon 70-200mmL f2.8 ii|Dolica

Bonbridge
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
Netherlands
Nov 10, 2014 11:31 |  #1602

iMac 27" Retina 5k
4,0-GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost tot 4,4 GHz
24 GB 1600-MHz DDR3 SDRAM 2x 4GB + 2x 8GB
512 GB flash
AMD Radeon R9 M295X, 4 GB GDDR5

Will probably be delivered within two weeks.

5DII + 6D | 16-35/4.0L IS | Σ35/1.4A | 40/2.8 | Σ85/1.4A | 85/1.2L II | 70-200/2.8L IS II
iMac Retina 5k | i7 | 24Gb RAM | 512GB Flash | 4GB M295X

Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,035 posts
Joined Feb 2009
CA
Nov 10, 2014 11:57 |  #1603

Bang for the bucks - Reliability - Performance - Future upgrade ability - etc... Would the Dell XPS 8700 Intel Core i7-4790 Quad Desktop for $799.99 has the edge over custom build?

Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz (Turbo Boost to 4GHz) Quad-Core HASWELL
16GB RAM
2TB HDD
DVD burner
802.11n + gigabit + bluetooth 4.0
Windows 8.1
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 745 4GB
1yr warranty + tax + Free shipping

Plan after purchase:
Add SSD for OS (256GB) - Install Win7 (owned and preferred over Win8)
Add 2T WD Black Drive (x2) to run RAID 1

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Boston, MA
Nov 10, 2014 16:30 |  #1604

Tigerkn wrote in post #17263123external link
Bang for the bucks - Reliability - Performance - Future upgrade ability - etc... Would the Dell XPS 8700 Intel Core i7-4790 Quad Desktop for $799.99 has the edge over custom build?

I have not worked on a Dell desktop in a long time, but from what I remember the upgradeability was an issue due to limited chassis, PSU, etc. Having said that, I don't think you'll have problems with adding disks to the system.

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

bikfoto
Alexander the Wannabe
420 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Nov 12, 2014 13:25 |  #1605

DiMAn0684 wrote in post #17263597external link
I have not worked on a Dell desktop in a long time, but from what I remember the upgradeability was an issue due to limited chassis, PSU, etc. Having said that, I don't think you'll have problems with adding disks to the system.

Not anymore. I've upgraded 3 XPS 8700's with no issues even though they come in med towers. Added 2nd SSD, video, ram, PSU, and still plenty of room.

bikfotoexternal link
Need a WEBSITE?external link
Gear & Feedback
flickrexternal link

sponsored links

350,860 views & 83 likes for this thread
What's Your Computer Build?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.