Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing
Thread started 05 Jun 2010 (Saturday) 04:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: 5D2 video - why choppy editor preview

Moppie
14,715 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2004
Akarana, Aotearoa. (Kiwiland)
Jun 05, 2010 20:56 |  #16

bpaulette wrote in post #10309582external link
We REAAAALLLLY need to make a sticky post in this forum that very clearly tells people not to expect smooth playback of native files on their computer (I know this is touched on in one of them, but this needs to be in the thread title, so they'll read it). This is the most common thread topic that appears on this forum

The sum up: Everybody has totally crappy playback of native files, they're a nightmare to work with in anything but CS5, yada yada yada.

I convert with Neoscene before attempting any editing. Will attest to its goodness.

Don't mean to sound snarky, just so many threads on the same... thing... over... and over.

Write it up, add some links, format it nicely, post it as a new thread, then report it asking for it be made a sticky :)

A mod will see it, and, its it up to standard sticky it for you :cool::cool:

flickrexternal link

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

sponsored links
Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Jun 06, 2010 06:07 |  #17

Meanwhile, I stickied this thread and changed the subject line.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

KevinA
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Surrey
Jun 08, 2010 16:07 as a reply to Pekka's post |  #18

...and all I did was ask a question!

Thanks guys this is all really useful.

5D Mk3 | Canon 85mm 1.2 ll L | Canon 100mm 2.8 L Macro IS | Canon 135mm 2.0 L | 4 X EX600 RT Speedlites | ST E3 RT Transmitter PLUS... Fuji XT-2, Fuji X-Pro 2, 10-24mm 14mm, 23mm 35mm, 56mm 90mm, 50-140mm & 100-400mm lens... and a selection of Pocketwizard flash triggers
www.ahronson.com (external link)

PhotosByT
222 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Ontario, Canada
Jun 25, 2010 23:09 |  #19

Oh darn.. good to know I'm not the only one with this problem.. I guess I can now justify upgrading my puter! ;)

KevinA
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Surrey
Jun 27, 2010 06:09 as a reply to PhotosByT's post |  #20

Problem completely solved

I have upgraded to CS5. Everything runs like a dream.

Woohoo!

5D Mk3 | Canon 85mm 1.2 ll L | Canon 100mm 2.8 L Macro IS | Canon 135mm 2.0 L | 4 X EX600 RT Speedlites | ST E3 RT Transmitter PLUS... Fuji XT-2, Fuji X-Pro 2, 10-24mm 14mm, 23mm 35mm, 56mm 90mm, 50-140mm & 100-400mm lens... and a selection of Pocketwizard flash triggers
www.ahronson.com (external link)

bjmin
95 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Jul 18, 2010 03:07 as a reply to KevinA's post |  #21

Is it necessary to run in x64?
Might have to upgrade the computer again. I believe there is also a Moore's law associated with upgrades fro video processing

pfpeter
134 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Denmark
Jul 18, 2010 15:30 |  #22

bjmin wrote in post #10556869external link
Is it necessary to run in x64?
Might have to upgrade the computer again. I believe there is also a Moore's law associated with upgrades fro video processing

Adobes Premiere Pro is a 64-bit only application.

Kind regards
Peter
Pictures on Flickrexternal link. | Gear List - "Noobs worry about Megapixels, Hobby-users worry about gear, Pro's worry about light"

EyeNorth
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Aug 04, 2010 14:50 as a reply to post 10309582 |  #23

Like said above, H.264 is a delivery codec and has a highly compressed colour space. By using the Cineform codec and transcoding via Neoscene, it interpolates to a better color space for color grading and post-work. It costs money though.

The Avid DNxHD codec mentioned above is free and ok, but degrades more than cineform over multiple renders (though I won't dare to think about the degradation over multiple renders with H.264). Another visually lossless codec that visually keeps up with cineform is Lagarithexternal link. It is however slower in encoding and playback, so don't expect 30 fps in 1080p with fx applied.

Another free possibility is the grand old Huffyyuv codec, though count on big files in that case.

Cineform might be worth the money though - really fast and retains quality over multiple renders well. Some years ago I used to be able to edit several streams of HDV (1440x1080) video using cineform on the timeline with an old single core 2.1 Ghz box with a crappy graphics card. Playback was smooth. But, just loading one of the mpeg2 encoded hdv streams from the camera onto the timeline, would choke everything completely up. H.264 is much harder on the CPU than mpeg2.

EyeNorth.comexternal link

Terjay
448 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Ylöjärvi, Finland
Aug 04, 2010 16:44 |  #24

Cineform Neoscene completely messed up anything I tried to put through it. The AVI files were full of sound and video glitches and the MOV variant wanted to render a 30 second clip for four hours.

EyeNorth
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Aug 13, 2010 06:13 as a reply to post 10309582 |  #25

Cineform Neoscene is a good option for transcoding with fast render times, smooth playback and high quality retention over multiple renders - costs $99 though. Another option that is free and nearly as fast is the Matrox I-frame HD codecexternal link. It only goes on a PC-platform though. The Avid codec is also good and free, but slower than both above.

One other option is the Lagarithexternal link codec. This one is no porsche in playback or rendering, but it outperforms the others in quality retention over multiple renders and the file size compression is quite good, so you save some space. From my experience it's also less buggy in NLE environments than cineform and Matrox.

EyeNorth.comexternal link

mäger
173 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Aug 17, 2010 14:48 |  #26

pfpeter wrote in post #10559238external link
Adobes Premiere Pro is a 64-bit only application.

and it only works on the god damn idiotic windows 7. does not work on xp x64 :s

what do you do with the video after exporting it with lagarith codec though?

-.-

jeffmurray
Joined Nov 2010
Hobart, Tasmania
May 25, 2011 06:56 |  #27

Anyone using Avid Media composer. I recently upgraded to version 5.5 on Windows 7 64 bit. I let the PC upgrade to Service Pack One (Note: not supported for MC5) and let it update to the latest driver for the NVidia Quadro series (also not supported).

My playback of linked AMA native 5D files is really good now. Still can't use the full resolution so setting quality to low - but I can edit the selections with playback at real time, which really speeds the workflow.

Thought - I would share my experiences based on one project edited this way. I did get some errors - mainly ones I have had since going to later versions ie: from 5.01 to 5.03 and higher to the later point versions. After 5.01 I have always had an error with rendering some dissolves - a reboot fixes these.

I am sure there might be other errors - but I have a back up of my system prior to SP1 and can roll. My 2c worth on playing native files.

With kind regards
Jeff
www.jeffmurrayimaging.​comexternal link
https://www.facebook.c​om ...ayimaging/317312484​981413external link

wasabean
388 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Southern California - Los Angeles
Dec 06, 2011 15:21 |  #28

you probably need to render the clip before trying to preview it. you'll see either a red, yellow, or green line in the timeline. green means its rendered and it'll preview smoothly, yellow means it might need to be rendered and might/might not preview smoothly, red means it needs to be rendered in order for preview to be smooth. you can initiate a render simply by hitting the "enter" key on the keyboard.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Australia
Jul 15, 2014 20:31 as a reply to wasabean's post |  #29

Try converting from H.264 codec to XVID.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

turnerdaniel
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Nov 2014
Nov 08, 2014 04:50 as a reply to post 10309582 |  #30

nice reviews. thanks for sharing

sponsored links

40,506 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D2 video - why choppy editor preview
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.