Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 12 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 14:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

7D Mark II - Focus Discussions

2n10
Cream of the Crop
16,990 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Sep 2012
Sparks, Nevada, USA
Nov 26, 2014 13:27 |  #706

bigcountry wrote in post #17294248external link
The camera arrived today, here is the service details:

Your product has been examined and upon close inspection the exact cause could not be identified but it was found that causing front focus after some time. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the af assembly. Product fuctions were confirmed.

Congrats on the return. Let us know on how it works.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links
Methodical
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
Where ever I lay my hat is my home
Nov 26, 2014 13:47 |  #707

bigcountry wrote in post #17294248external link
The camera arrived today, here is the service details:

Your product has been examined and upon close inspection the exact cause could not be identified but it was found that causing front focus after some time. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the af assembly. Product fuctions were confirmed.

The pressure is on now. The whole world, well us 7D2ers, are waiting. waiting, waiting, waiting.:p

Hopefully, you are squared away. If so, Canon NJ may get swamped with new camera bodies.:lol:

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2012
Gloucester Co. NJ
Nov 26, 2014 13:56 |  #708

Methodical wrote in post #17294602external link
The pressure is on now. The whole world, well us 7D2ers, are waiting. waiting, waiting, waiting.:p

Hopefully, you are squared away. If so, Canon NJ may get swamped with new camera bodies.:lol:

lol...I'll have to drive up to see how it's going.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,101 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Nov 26, 2014 14:18 |  #709

hollis_f wrote in post #17294497external link
This is the standard service report for when they find nothing wrong. It means they put it on their test bench, ran the standard calibration (that is performed on all cameras at the factory), tested it and found it within specifications.

In other words - there was no detectable fault.

You are wrong. My 7D AF was back and front focusing intermittently. I verified that by comparing it first to Live view and then a series of tests on a wall target. I sent it in and they replied with that response. What else are they going to say? Admit to an actual problem? You know what that would cause? Look how long it took to finally admit to the 1D3.

When I got it back and posted shots on another site people replied I was posting the sharpest images they had seen and I had 5 great years with it. First cam I ever sent in for issues. Why would they say they were waiting for a tool if they were just going to give a canned answer?

I was not going to participate in this forum but I'm going to challenge you on that one. Mine is going to Canon tomorrow. Tests compared to my 5D3, with the same lens and settings was no contest.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

gschlact
Joined Jan 2010
Chicago 'burbs
Nov 26, 2014 14:40 |  #710

Methodical wrote in post #17294404external link
This part of the review caught my attention. I wander if this could be causing some of the AF issues (note: read the entire passage and not just the red portion).

An apparently undocumented attribute of the outer AF points (at least in single AF point mode) is that they all can use contrast information under the next AF point toward the center, causing the adjacent AF point to functionally appear as a focus assist-like point. When contrast becomes weak (or even non-existent) on a selected outer AF point and the next point down/up (for top/bottom AF points) or left/right (for right/left AF points) has good contrast, the 7D II will auto focus using the position of that particular assist point. Here is a pair of examples:

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Outer AF Point Attribute

No Contrast | Low Contrast

I created a white canvas in Photoshop and then created two vertical bars spaced to fall under the rightmost AF point and the next point to the left. The camera is unable to focus on the white canvas (no contrast available), but can easily lock focus onto the black bars. I then reduced the opacity of the right bar until the stronger-contrasting bar under the adjacent focus point took over the camera's attention. The 7D II was tripod-mounted and positioned at an angle to the display to better discern the camera's selected point of focus. Shown in the examples is a screen capture from DPP showing the selected AF point and the area where the LCD display's pixels are most in-focus. The bar under the right-most AF point is still visible in the "Low Contrast" example, but the camera focuses similarly on the strongly contrasting bar to the left.

Corner AF points (including the corner points in the slightly enlarged center section of AF points) utilize contrast information under the two adjacent points.

Whether the outer AF points are simply larger than the point indicator or the adjacent AF point is actually being used, I cannot say. Whether this feature is beneficial or problematic is dependent on the situation you are shooting in. It was somewhat problematic in the horse example I've been showing as the bouncing ears and mane did get the 7D II's attention sometimes. The 5D Mark III's AF system does not exhibit this behavior, but the 5D III's outer AF points are farther from the borders than even some of the 7D II's next-to-outer AF points...

Methodical-
This is a GREAT and CRUCIAL piece of information about the 7D ii AF!!!! What is the source (beyond the proof PS sample you created?)

I didn't see the image link for the example you created in PS.??? I am curious whether DPP indicated the outer or the assist point as the active focus point? My guess is the outer point is indicated as active which would drive most crazy. (this is my segway to the following...)

Lastly, WHERE in the menus does Canon provide the ability to turn off this automatic behavior of Use-AF-assist-point-with-outer-or-top-focus-points? This option MUST BE PROVIDED. The photographer must know that he is not getting focus where he intended!!!

Thanks again!!!

Guy
( gschlact )

i-G12
Wat?
1,360 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Seattle, WA
Nov 26, 2014 14:42 |  #711

lozw wrote in post #17294309external link
As every 7DMKII camera has the same firmware as every other one, then if the firmware is a problem then how come not every 7DMKII has focus problems?

It was/is the same with the 70D. I have the same camera, with the same firmware, and same lenses, as those reporting focus problem with their 70D. But I don't have a problem at all - so not sure what firmware update is required to fix their 'problem' when I don't have the problem with exactly the same firmware they have.

In the 70D case it seemed more to be an issue with misaligned AF sensors that was causing the problem - and the only fix for that is to adjust it or replace it.

It is very disappointing people had these problems with the 70D and now similar problems are arising with the 7DMKII.

It sound more like Canon need to improve their QC - especially with a pro-oriented 7DMKII

Great post.

70D > 7D Mark II .... Déjà vu

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Louisville, KY
Nov 26, 2014 15:45 |  #712

it seems better, but i honestly have not had time to test it other than random stuff around the house.

family came in for the holidays + delivering images and albums to clients before tomorrow has me bogged down.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographerexternal link
Travel the World and Photographexternal link
Find me on Facebookexternal link

Kickflipkid687
THREAD ­ STARTER
921 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Nov 26, 2014 17:04 |  #713

bigcountry wrote in post #17294813external link
it seems better, but i honestly have not had time to test it other than random stuff around the house.

family came in for the holidays + delivering images and albums to clients before tomorrow has me bogged down.

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully all is well. If not, that will be very disappointing.

My Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com​/photos/86957042@N07/external link

magicmikey
958 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Nov 26, 2014 17:12 |  #714

This is from the review at the-digital-picture.com:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com ...Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II.aspxexternal link

It's a very thorough review.

gschlact wrote in post #17294714external link
Methodical-
This is a GREAT and CRUCIAL piece of information about the 7D ii AF!!!! What is the source (beyond the proof PS sample you created?)

I didn't see the image link for the example you created in PS.??? I am curious whether DPP indicated the outer or the assist point as the active focus point? My guess is the outer point is indicated as active which would drive most crazy. (this is my segway to the following...)

Lastly, WHERE in the menus does Canon provide the ability to turn off this automatic behavior of Use-AF-assist-point-with-outer-or-top-focus-points? This option MUST BE PROVIDED. The photographer must know that he is not getting focus where he intended!!!

Thanks again!!!

Guy
( gschlact )

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Nov 26, 2014 17:27 |  #715

magicmikey wrote in post #17294924external link
This is from the review at the-digital-picture.com:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com ...Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II.aspxexternal link

It's a very thorough review.

Thanks for the site
the two photo samples in the page of that site seems not clear and dark !

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Louisville, KY
Nov 26, 2014 17:43 |  #716

Thanks for the response Hollis, although many of your posts, including this one make it hard for me to take you seriously.

hollis_f wrote in post #17294497external link
This is the standard service report for when they find nothing wrong. It means they put it on their test bench, ran the standard calibration (that is performed on all cameras at the factory), tested it and found it within specifications.

In other words - there was no detectable fault.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographerexternal link
Travel the World and Photographexternal link
Find me on Facebookexternal link

drdiesel1
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
NorCal
Nov 26, 2014 23:31 |  #717

My 7DMKII and 100F/2.8L-IS Macro came yesterday. I had to run the micro focus adjustment
back -17 ticks to get it to zero @ F2.8 I was worried it was gonna run out of adjustment :cool:

So far, I'm happy with it. It's my first APS-C sensor body ;)

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

Vance1
32 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Georgia, USA
Nov 27, 2014 06:29 |  #718

bigcountry wrote in post #17294982external link
Thanks for the response Hollis, although many of your posts, including this one make it hard for me to take you seriously.

That is a typical Canon generic repair note. This is usually what you will receive whether adjustments were made or not.

You most certainly are correct in sending your camera back. I am having a similar problem with mine in AI Servo.

Good luck

8612images
731 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Texas
Nov 27, 2014 09:19 |  #719

Here are a couple from the weekend. While it did get some very sharp shots, I also got a lot of "almost" sharp shots. These 2 are back to back shots. I shot jpeg in Ai Servo H. Focus was expansion. I noticed quite a bit of shots like this. One will be razor sharp, then the next few just a hair off. Never saw that when I had a 5d3. Also - do you notice a tad change in exposure/colors?

7d2 w/ 70-200 II plus 1.4x. Shot in JPG 1/3200 SS Evauluative
The first image is sharp looking in LR4 with 1:1. DPP shows focus block just under her chin at upper chest (nike swoosh in lower L corner of focus box)

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7571/15890810672_b0b11037aa_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qddy​om] (external link)7P7A0067 (external link) by smphelps5 (external link), on Flickr"]
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
 (external link)7P7A0067 (external link) by smphelps5, on Flickr (external link)

This image is just a little of LR4 1:1 DPP shows focus block just under her chin at upper chest (nike swoosh in lower/center L corner of focus box)

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8665/15889479771_dc476a0aea_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qd6J​KM] (external link)7P7A0068 (external link) by smphelps5 (external link), on Flickr"]
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
 (external link)7P7A0068 (external link) by smphelps5, on Flickr (external link)

Steve

2n10
Cream of the Crop
16,990 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Sep 2012
Sparks, Nevada, USA
Nov 27, 2014 09:35 |  #720

Both look good at this size. I have noticed at 1:1 a slight variance in sharpness also with mine and the 7D before it. I see the slight exposure difference also. The exposure difference is greatly diminished from the 7D.

You need to remember that APS-c cameras have much less tolerance for movement at long lengths due to the pixel density. Also due to less light entering I suspect they are also more prone to exposure shifts.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links

1,147,014 views & 2721 likes for this thread
7D Mark II - Focus Discussions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.