Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 30 Oct 2014 (Thursday) 21:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

iMac 5K + Lightroom issues

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Nov 26, 2014 06:57 |  #16

I think part of the problem with looking at these new super high resolution screens is that unless you are using an application that can make sensible use of the resolution you are really unlikely to see any significant difference. when it comes to web browsing and office applications, you have to make everything bigger just to be able to see it properly. So yes you might get smoother fonts, but then I don't really have too much trouble with aliasing etc when looking at a display at about 100PPI. Yes the 300PPI display on my Galaxy Note 3 is super smooth, and being only around a 6" diagonal I tend to use it a lot closer than my desktop monitor. I had a look at a 4K IMac in the local Apple store recently, and as was said could not initially tell which one it was without asking a member of staff. I had a quick look at Aperture, as of course they do not have any Adobe products installed on demo machines. I could not actually find any RAW files in the demo library, which I think was shared with the normal IPhoto program, so was having to look at JPEGs. OK full screen 100% view was quite nice, but as was said not really mind blowing. Of course given the fact that the display was at factory default settings (I guess) and not accurately profiled its hard to say what it would look like if correctly set up in "normal processing conditions".

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,858 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Nov 26, 2014 19:26 |  #17

I agree.

I'm sure if I had bought the iMac and had set it up in my home I would have been super thrilled. It's a bit different in a huge Apple Store with bright lights (still an amazing display, the best of it's kind for sure). I only had a couple minutes to use it as I was in a rush. I would LOVE to do some PS work with full res images from my 1D3 at 100% and still have lots of room to spare!!

And there still is no monitor out there like this one yet! Arguably the best display available and without a doubt the best all-in-one by a country mile!

I will keep watch to see if the LR issues improve. I hope so. I bet if Adobe got their act together, tightened code up in LR (It seemingly has had performance issues for a long time for many people), and if Apple can speed up Yosemite a bit, I may still get this iBeast!

Not sure if I asked this before, slightly off topic, any issues with lag using other Adobe products, like Photoshop CC or newer, especially when using a tablet?

Cheers guys!

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

5,853 views & 0 likes for this thread
iMac 5K + Lightroom issues
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.