Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 23:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sorry to say but

Harm
. . . overboard with the tea . . .
48,561 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008
Dec 02, 2014 08:51 |  #46

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17304334 (external link)
You can add frames around your images now, use the More BBCode when you post an image.

yes, you can...

IMAGE: http://harm.smugmug.com/City-Life/Boston/i-Mf9PRSQ/0/X2/880A4788-X2.jpg

SmugMugexternal link

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Dec 02, 2014 08:54 |  #47

I'm starting to find my way about. Two of the things that are being pushed are the gear database, and the galleries. We are encouraged to add our images to our gallery. Thats fine but you are then required to enter all of the image EXIF data. Although you can pull this from the image, if its there, there is a problem. The gear database seems very lacking in inventory. Of my lens collection the only lenses that are actually in the database are my to copies of the 18-55 kit lens (18-55 USM and 18-55 II) and two lenses that I have rented. The two lenses that I use the most, my walk round standard zoom and my telephoto zoom are both missing. They are both Sigma lenses, the 20-40mm f/2.8 EX DG Asph IF and the 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DG Macro. Both were current lenses when I bought them for use with my 300D, so they are not really old lenses.

Being missing form the database is not the end of the world, but I cannot add a new lens so will have to wait until the mods/admins get around to adding them, if they ever do. What it does mean though is that I cannot add most of my images to my gallery, as that system will not allow you to have an unknown lens type.vmad

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,218 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 02, 2014 08:56 |  #48

There is a dedicated thread about the gear database.

http://photography-on-the.net ...hp?t=1409239&goto=n​ewpost

You can request additions or changes in that thread. There are other threads in that same forum for bugs, questions, etc.

Also, I was able to set my lens to NA using the button at the bottom of the lens selector, and it added the metadata, and would have allowed me to add to my gallery. EDIT: Ah, nope, the gallery option then forces the lens, I see. That should probably be looked at.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Harm
. . . overboard with the tea . . .
48,561 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008
Dec 02, 2014 08:57 |  #49

BigAl007 wrote in post #17304359external link
I'm starting to find my way about. Two of the things that are being pushed are the gear database, and the galleries. We are encouraged to add our images to our gallery. Thats fine but you are then required to enter all of the image EXIF data. Although you can pull this from the image, if its there, there is a problem. The gear database seems very lacking in inventory. Of my lens collection the only lenses that are actually in the database are my to copies of the 18-55 kit lens (18-55 USM and 18-55 II) and two lenses that I have rented. The two lenses that I use the most, my walk round standard zoom and my telephoto zoom are both missing. They are both Sigma lenses, the 20-40mm f/2.8 EX DG Asph IF and the 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DG Macro. Both were current lenses when I bought them for use with my 300D, so they are not really old lenses.

Being missing form the database is not the end of the world, but I cannot add a new lens so will have to wait until the mods/admins get around to adding them, if they ever do. What it does mean though is that I cannot add most of my images to my gallery, as that system will not allow you to have an unknown lens type.vmad

Alan

Add your missing gear pieces to this thread:

http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=17​303480

SmugMugexternal link

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Dec 02, 2014 08:58 |  #50

BigAl007 wrote in post #17304359external link
I'm starting to find my way about. Two of the things that are being pushed are the gear database, and the galleries. We are encouraged to add our images to our gallery. Thats fine but you are then required to enter all of the image EXIF data.

Alan

Please just pick the closest match. You can edit metadata later, too.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,910 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Post has been edited over 3 years ago by gonzogolf.
Dec 02, 2014 09:01 |  #51

Since Pekka seems to be here. I was previously subscribed to severslmlens sample threads when I go to import my ld subscriptions to folowed I cant seem to fimd them. Ive stumbled across a few in the new post section. How can I add them to followed as a group?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,218 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Dec 02, 2014 09:08 |  #52

gonzogolf wrote in post #17304392external link
Since Pekka seems to be here. I was previously subscribed to severslmlens sample threads when I go to import my ld subscriptions to folowed I cant seem to fimd them. Ive stumbled across a few in the new post section. How can I add them to followed as a group?

Just an idea, not sure if it will work, but if you search for the word Samples in the title and select any lens forum, do some of those show up in that search result? If so, just click on them and hit the follow. Not great, but perhaps you can find some of them quickly that way.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,162 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Dec 02, 2014 11:46 |  #53

gonzogolf wrote in post #17304153external link
A small learnjng curve is fine. But dont forget the concept of being user friendly. And your reply is emblematic of my point. All the beta testers and mods are saying all will be fine when you learn our way, and glossing over the point that this thing us not intuitive or particularly user friendly.

I find it very intuitive. More user friendly in some ways than vBulletin, less in other ways. See? Not all the beta testers say the same thing. Since so many users are voicing complaints, I'll voice mine. People are taking to the threads to say "Why can't I _____ ?" instead of reading the user instructions to find out how they can _____ . Look at your home page and FYEO page first to see the locations of information and users' controls instead of wasting our time. Many new features have explanatory hovertext that people are missing because they haven't hovered.

groundloop wrote in post #17303974external link
I don't like that the only way to preview a post is to wait around until the "Preview and Save Draft" panel updates itself, it's more convenient to be able to press a "preview" button and immediately see what our post is going to look like.

Hover on "Preview & Save Draft." Click it for an instant update.

ALSO.... I miss being able to mouse over a thread title and seeing the first few sentences of the first post in that thread, that feature can be a real time-saver.

I miss it, too.

gonzogolf wrote in post #17304196external link
TeamSpeed wrote in post #17304186external link
No, our comments are to the self-centered negative comments. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, and we already have a series of threads where these things are being discussed. General Photography Talk is the wrong forum for this.

Ive been reading those threads and other than technical issues all I am seeing is replies that say "get used to it".

I see, and write, replies that tell how to use the features.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

teekay
Goldmember
2,587 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been edited over 3 years ago by teekay.
Dec 02, 2014 12:16 |  #54

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17303942external link
All change is difficult and so is this one. Things are done differently, buttons are in the wrong place, you can't find your familiar stuff. And so, without hesitation, you hate it. That's understandable. But how about you give yourself some time to learn where things are?....So don't dismiss it so easily. Give it time. And post as you normally would. A week from now it will be second nature. :)

Totally agree. I've been on POTN longer than almost anyone else, so getting used to the new format will take some time. Actually I find it enjoyable and interesting to try out and appreciate all the work Pekka and others have put into the new look. Sure, there are some things that need tweaking (like the ridiculous new classifications of members) but many of the new features (like sorting the forum order on the opening page) are really useful.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Dec 02, 2014 12:21 |  #55

teekay wrote in post #17305133external link
there are some things that need tweaking (like the ridiculous new classifications of members)

Titles are now as they used to be, you are no longer precious :)

teekay
Goldmember
2,587 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Dec 02, 2014 18:20 |  #56

Pekka wrote in post #17305154external link
Titles are now as they used to be, you are no longer precious :)

That was fast! Many thanks, Pekka:-D

Samgoit
826 posts
Joined Sep 2006
Dec 02, 2014 19:16 |  #57

I'm finding the margins a bit bright; otherwise, this looks pretty spectacular.

Great file hosting upgrade!

Rey
571 posts
Joined Mar 2006
SoCal
Dec 02, 2014 21:05 |  #58

Don't really care for the new look either and I've been trying to get used to it. Where is the indicator that shows I've posted to a thread? Any way to get that back? The "Added to forum gallery" column to the left on some forums is distracting. I want read and go through forums not be distracted by random photos. Too much visual distraction and the photos make it difficult to scan the thread titles quickly. I'll visit the appropriate forums if I want to look for photos.

IMHO, this redesign seems to be a showcase full of glitz, unnecessary animations, and form over function. It demos well if you like shiny things but IRL, the usage stinks. I definitely prefer vBulletin to this.

Canon 5D MKII • BG-E6 • Canon EOS-M • Canon 85mm F1.2L II USM • Canon 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM • Canon 16-35mm F2.8L II USM • Canon 24-70mm F2.8L USM • Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM • Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART • Canon Speedlight 600 EX-RT • Canon Speedlite 580EX II • Canon Speedlite 430EX II • Gitzo 3530 • Really Right Stuff BH-55 LR

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Dec 02, 2014 21:23 |  #59

Rey wrote in post #17306829external link
Don't really care for the new look either and I've been trying to get used to it. Where is the indicator that shows I've posted to a thread? Any way to get that back?

If you look at the forum page http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=89 for example, you can see there are occasionally texts like [YOURS: 1] and [YOURS: 5].

I did not want to make them in bright red.

The "Added to forum gallery" column to the left on some forums is distracting. I want read and go through forums not be distracted by random photos. Too much visual distraction and the photos make it difficult to scan the thread titles quickly. I'll visit the appropriate forums if I want to look for photos.

You are not interested in photos in photography forum. Ok.

IMHO, this redesign seems to be a showcase full of glitz, unnecessary animations, and form over function. It demos well if you like shiny things but IRL, the usage stinks. I definitely prefer vBulletin to this.

vBulletin is something I would never touch again for many many reasons. This has more of all because it is designed to deliver more, including visual feedback on many things. Compared to still old forums this is of course like sitting into a Tesla after a Golf. For some that is a cultural shock for sure.

I can make a "set animations on/off" button of course.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,718 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Dec 02, 2014 21:36 |  #60

at first i was a little scared...then i changed some things around, the margins, the font, zoomed in with my browser, and now i think it works just fine...my only gripe's the 50 posts per page...i see a thread with 100posts, and i don't even want to bother starting at the beginning...

also, it may exist, and i've yet to find it...but i used to like the way you could quickly jump to a forum by using the bar that used to be at the bottom...so far, i feel like if i want to go from one forum to another, i have to go back to the main forum page

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

sponsored links

23,845 views & 77 likes for this thread
Sorry to say but
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.