Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 28 Nov 2014 (Friday) 14:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

"Look at the camera" … "Okay, don't look at the camera"

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Nov 28, 2014 14:09 |  #1

I'm having a big time problem getting my kids to look at the camera and want to get them to pose while looking away from the camera. When they were little the gazes away from the camera seemed more natural or maybe just expected, now that they are older, 6, it just isn't working.

I need some advice for posing two kids with eyes on something other than the camera.

This problem is mostly with studio shots, but comes up with environmental shots too.

How far off camera should i have them look? Up and away from the camera? or level and near the camera?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
Joined Dec 2013
Detroit, MI
Dec 02, 2014 13:56 |  #2

It all depends on how important the eyes are to the shot. For posed pictures, I usually want to see my kids looking at the camera, but there are times when I'd rather have them focus elsewhere. My wife comes in handy for our youngest especially (6 months).

I recently did a few shots with a book and fake present boxes for Christmas cards- giving them something to interact with can be nice for getting those real smiles, and not forced.

Here's an example of a real smile I got from my son while he reacts to my wife playing with our youngest out of frame:

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8604/15744290408_9ef8be09a4_b.jpg

You can't see all of the eyes, but you can see the reaction/face is genuine.

I have a 6 year old and a 6 month old, so I have to bribe the 6 year old when we shoot them together. If he does what I ask when I ask, he gets to tell me what to do and take the pictures afterwards. He loves directing people and taking pictures of his own.

Support the forums - donate here

Thumpa33
Joined Mar 2013
Sharon, Ma
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Thumpa33.
Apr 19, 2015 20:22 |  #3

when you want them to look AT the camera, I heard of a great trick, ... with very little effort and shaving a bit of plastic off, a PEZ dispenser fits into the hotshoe... give em a few pez from there, and their eyes are glued to the spot!

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Apr 19, 2015 21:31 |  #4

Thumpa33 wrote in post #17524289external link
when you want them to look AT the camera, I heard of a great trick, ... with very little effort and shaving a bit of plastic off, a PEZ dispenser fits into the hotshoe... give em a few pez from there, and their eyes are glued to the spot!

That's how I get my dogs to stay focused, just with kibble... Lol

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

4,606 views & 3 likes for this thread
"Look at the camera" … "Okay, don't look at the camera"
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.