Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 10:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Questions, questions....

this thread is locked
Harm
. . . overboard with the tea . . .
48,564 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008
Dec 03, 2014 15:06 |  #226

DTBaan wrote in post #17309124external link
you got answered :P

isn't the phrase "you got spanked"??

SmugMugexternal link

sponsored links
i-G12
Wat?
1,360 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Seattle, WA
Dec 03, 2014 15:11 |  #227

Gotta see how this avatar looks a little larger.

So please ignore this post.

Do not reply.

You will be in trouble if you reply.

Willis would not bee amused.

Wut?

i-G12
Wat?
1,360 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Seattle, WA
Dec 03, 2014 15:12 |  #228

i-G12 wrote in post #17309144external link
Gotta see how this avatar looks a little larger.

So please ignore this post.

Do not reply.

You will be in trouble if you reply.

Willis would not bee amused.

Wut?

Need work bro.

OK...maybe later! :-P

Harm
. . . overboard with the tea . . .
48,564 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008
Dec 03, 2014 15:15 |  #229

i-G12 wrote in post #17309147external link
Need work bro.

OK...maybe later! :-P

based on your avatar, and that you are quoting yourself in a post that you told everyone to ignore, I'd say you're bordering Toxic Psychosis....

SmugMugexternal link

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Dec 03, 2014 15:19 |  #230

idsurfer wrote in post #17308928external link
What you describe is exactly how I use the new forum, i.e. N&F forum/purple bar tool. It works great! Your bolded text above is what I was referring to when I asked if we could be given a choice with regards to default settings in the N&F forum. I don't really want to have to make that second click to switch to the "followed and own" list.

Me neither. I go there, click on a thread and when I come back it's back in New Posts mode and I have to click again. But that will change. We just need a bit of patience as there is a lot on Pekka's plate at the moment. :-)

idsurfer wrote in post #17308950external link
Is it possible when quoting someone's post to break it into different segments? For example, if someone asks several questions, can I have my reply as:

Question #1
Answer #1
Question #2
Answer #2 etc... Does this even make sense? Thanks

lovemyram4x4 wrote in post #17309013external link
I just used the split quote under quote tools to do this. Just put the curse at the point you want to split and click split quote.

Split quote is brilliant!

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Dec 03, 2014 15:59 as a reply to Levina de Ruijter's post |  #231

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

OK... that wasn't as difficult as I imagined. I figured I'd try it first before I asked the question.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,176 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Dec 03, 2014 16:21 |  #232

Harm wrote in post #17309129external link
isn't the phrase "you got spanked"??

Careful, Harm. A title can always be changed.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Joined Sep 2008
Dec 03, 2014 16:40 |  #233

Phoenixkh wrote in post #17309261 (external link)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Phoenixkh in
./showthread.php?p=173​09261&i=i186130779
forum: AMASS Forum Software Talk

OK... that wasn't as difficult as I imagined. I figured I'd try it first before I asked the question.

Looks good. Great shot!

Levina

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
Joined Jan 2007
DFW Metro-mess, Texas
Dec 03, 2014 16:57 |  #234

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17308472external link
KurtB wrote in post #17308385external link
But should somebody really have to resize their browser to trigger a way to see the exif data? I have heard many times that some of the design decisions that were made for the new site was because this is a photography themed site. Why would there not automatically be a link to view the exif data on every picture when it is available, without having to change the way I am viewing a thread? Viewing exif data is a very common thing to do on a photography website. Especially when CC on a photo is requested.

Whether meta data is included, depends on whether the photographer included it. A lot never bothered to do so on old POTN. The big majority of people didn't care to include the exif. Only a small percentage of people did include it, so you could right click and there it was. But more often than not I found there was nothing, and I right clicked a lot!
However, the galleries are a great incentive for people to include the exif now, because without the meta data you cannot add an image to your gallery. From what I have seen so far, people are loving the galleries and filling them up like crazy, which is great. And all those image have the exif showing right above it.

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17308488external link
Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17308472external link
Whether meta data is included, depends on whether the photographer included it. A lot never bothered to do so on old POTN. The big majority of people didn't care to include the exif. Only a small percentage of people did include it, so you could right click and there it was. But more often than not I found there was nothing, and I right clicked a lot!
However, the galleries are a great incentive for people to include the exif now, because without the meta data you cannot add an image to your gallery. From what I have seen so far, people are loving the galleries and filling them up like crazy, which is great. And all those image have the exif showing right above it.

Well to be fair, I don't think most folks know how the exif gets stripped. For example in Photoshop, if you save for web, it strips it for you. If you save a JPG normally though, it won't, but will change a few things to show Photoshop was the agent of change. Flickr and other sites also remove EXIF depending on how you are viewing the image, I believe. It is easy for EXIF to just be pulled off an image depending on your software choice, and even hosting choice. IE. I don't think there were any conscious choices in many situations to strip the EXIF, it just "happened". :)

One other thing -- PBase and Flickr both strip metadata on resized images. Pekka mentioned this during the beta testing and therefore AMASS can't undo what has been done by those two image hosting sites.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Joined Sep 2008
Dec 03, 2014 17:13 |  #235

Bill Boehme wrote in post #17309385external link
One other thing -- PBase and Flickr both strip metadata on resized images. Pekka mentioned this during the beta testing and therefore AMASS can't undo what has been done by those two image hosting sites.

Yes, a lot of the photo hosting sites strip the exif when you embed anything other than the "original" file. flickr does, ipernity does too. This is why I always upload the maximum allowed image size at POTN, which is now 1280px on the long side. That way I can choose the original but resized file (1280px Original) and have the exif intact. If I choose 1280px Large, it will strip the exif too. They really insist that you embed the "original" file. :rolleyes:

Levina

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Dec 03, 2014 17:17 |  #236

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17309428external link
Yes, a lot of the photo hosting sites strip the exif when you embed anything other than the "original" file. flickr does, ipernity does too. This is why I always upload the maximum allowed image size at POTN, which is now 1280px on the long side. That way I can choose the original but resized file (1280px Original) and have the exif intact. If I choose 1280px Large, it will strip the exif too. They really insist that you embed the "original" file. :rolleyes:

I do that too, and that's how I posted to Potn previously but now the amass exif retriever doesn't find the exif even though my original file is the 1280 one.

I wonder if there's a way that instead of inserting the URL and clicking fetch pekka could change it so that it was the bbcode that was inserted and then click search to allow the exif to be retrievable? I really want to use the gallery function but finding it tedious flicking back and forward to flickr as I input each field on the exif

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
x100F | α7R II
Voigtlander 4.5/15 | Zeiss Loxia 2.8/21 | Samyang 1.4/24 | Contax Zeiss 4.5-5.6/100-300
Sony 2/28 | Sony/Zeiss 1.8/55 | Zeiss Batis 1.8/85 | Sony 2.8/90

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2013
Temecula
Post has been edited over 3 years ago by lovemyram4x4.
Dec 03, 2014 17:33 |  #237

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17309428 (external link)

Looks like flickr even strips the exif even if you share original size(I also switched to just uploading 1024 and now 1280) at least my exif viewer isn't seeing it.

HOSTED PHOTO

Odd thing is it shows the geo tagging

HOSTED PHOTO

i-G12
Wat?
1,360 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Seattle, WA
Post has been edited over 3 years ago by i-G12.
Dec 03, 2014 18:33 |  #238

So can we have a forum category dedicated to tripod discussion?

The tripod discussion which is very interesting to many is buried somewhere. Kinda mixed up with other stuff (I think)... :cry:

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Boise, Idaho
Dec 03, 2014 18:46 |  #239

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17309164external link
Split quote

Indeed...

is brilliant!

it is! :-D

Cory
Sony ⍺6500 | Samyang 2/12 | Sony/Zeiss E 1.8/24 | Sony E 1.8/50
flickr (external link)

Feedback

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,226 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Dec 03, 2014 18:53 |  #240

The only thing with that split quote vs the manual way is that if someone wanted to go to the original post, they have to scroll to the first quoted section to click on the referential link. Some people take a long post and answer everyting line by line, and eventually I get lost as to what the original argument was, and have to go to reply that prompted the big reply. :)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

93,703 views & 181 likes for this thread
Questions, questions....
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.