Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk
Thread started 04 Dec 2014 (Thursday) 23:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Human Nature (or was that the call of nature?)

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Dec 04, 2014 23:10 |  #1

Change. People fight it. People detest it. People hate it. What the hey??? The thing about change is that there ain't nothing anybody can do about it. You're gonna change, your wife's gonna change, your frequency of peeing is going to change. It happens. That top-end, state-of-the-art camera that you bought and pranced around with in front of your buddies?...well, next thing you know it it's outdated and one of your buddy's shows up with the MK II version. The manufacturer *changed* it! t's inevitable...change happens (as does other stuff).

I'm a lowly wannabe photographer who probably would be better off using a shoebox with a pinhole in it and a roll of 120 film or something to get my images but I try with a fancy camera to capture what I see...I've got a long way to go. And I'm new to the forum so I'm still an outsider. But, I'll risk speaking out of turn here....I've never been the sharpest blade in the drawer anyhow. :rolleyes:

What's with all this "I hate the new look!"..."I'm out of here!"....."I'm dizzy..."....etc., etc., posts. Yeah it's different, yeah it's not what your used to using. Get over it and get on with it. I don't know Pekka personally but I do know that he's never charged me a dime to use this forum and I would say that I have benefited greatly in my feeble photography education(?) from browsing it for information. Matter of fact, he made it very easy to join the forum. Sometimes software gets outdated and needs revamping. Pekka, I understand, wrote the code for the original forum because he wanted to...he's written the knew version because again (yelp) he wanted to. Oh yeah, server space, hosting, etc., etc.,...who's paying for that? Hey, if Pekka wants to paint the forum puke green with pink chickens wearing tutu's adorning the borders ....well, it's his website (it would be a rather ghastly looking critter, but...). ;)

What I'm getting at is that this forum is a great gift to the photography community...there's some very smart people here and one's that don't mind helping a dingbat (like me). The look is new, there's stuff missing, there's new stuff, it has....changed. So, rather than beech (that's a tree, ya know) and moan why not go at it in a constructive way with good feedback on the updated site. Yeah, it's different for me, too. I was kind of used to the other format, too but...it is what it is...and the price is the same as the old one. I think Pekka (whoever you are) deserves a pat on the back for all the hard work he does keeping this monster cruising along...it takes a lot of time and energy to keep it going.

Ok, well that's about it. Ok, well, er, dang!!! Where's the SUBMIT button??????  :p
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

snerd
Joined Nov 2010
Oklahoma
Dec 04, 2014 23:19 |  #2

Old boss told me once, "There is nothing constant BUT change!" I took it to heart.

You'll be late for everything because the light was right and the action was good (magoosmc)

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
Joined Apr 2008
Milo's Meadow - Bloom County
Dec 05, 2014 00:05 |  #3

Intheswamp wrote in post #17312840external link
Change. People fight it. People detest it. People hate it. What the hey??? The thing about change is that there ain't nothing anybody can do about it. You're gonna change, your wife's gonna change, your frequency of peeing is going to change. It happens. That top-end, state-of-the-art camera that you bought and pranced around with in front of your buddies?...well, next thing you know it it's outdated and one of your buddy's shows up with the MK II version. The manufacturer *changed* it! t's inevitable...change happens (as does other stuff).

I'm a lowly wannabe photographer who probably would be better off using a shoebox with a pinhole in it and a roll of 120 film or something to get my images but I try with a fancy camera to capture what I see...I've got a long way to go. And I'm new to the forum so I'm still an outsider. But, I'll risk speaking out of turn here....I've never been the sharpest blade in the drawer anyhow. :rolleyes:

What's with all this "I hate the new look!"..."I'm out of here!"....."I'm dizzy..."....etc., etc., posts. Yeah it's different, yeah it's not what your used to using. Get over it and get on with it. I don't know Pekka personally but I do know that he's never charged me a dime to use this forum and I would say that I have benefited greatly in my feeble photography education(?) from browsing it for information. Matter of fact, he made it very easy to join the forum. Sometimes software gets outdated and needs revamping. Pekka, I understand, wrote the code for the original forum because he wanted to...he's written the knew version because again (yelp) he wanted to. Oh yeah, server space, hosting, etc., etc.,...who's paying for that? Hey, if Pekka wants to paint the forum puke green with pink chickens wearing tutu's adorning the borders ....well, it's his website (it would be a rather ghastly looking critter, but...). ;)

What I'm getting at is that this forum is a great gift to the photography community...there's some very smart people here and one's that don't mind helping a dingbat (like me). The look is new, there's stuff missing, there's new stuff, it has....changed. So, rather than beech (that's a tree, ya know) and moan why not go at it in a constructive way with good feedback on the updated site. Yeah, it's different for me, too. I was kind of used to the other format, too but...it is what it is...and the price is the same as the old one. I think Pekka (whoever you are) deserves a pat on the back for all the hard work he does keeping this monster cruising along...it takes a lot of time and energy to keep it going.

Ok, well that's about it. Ok, well, er, dang!!! Where's the SUBMIT button??????  :p
Ed

Oh Ed! "...pink chickens wearing tutu's..." :lol::lol::lol: Be careful with that kind of thing. The Title Fairy has a nasty sense of humor.

Tim

Flickr external link

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2014
Dec 05, 2014 00:33 |  #4
banned

I'm really glad I tripped over this thread. I agree that things are different here, and different is just that. There is no good or bad in different; that is perception and opinion. POTN has been a great place to kill time, and to actually learn stuff, if you keep your mind open.

I find some of the new things confusing and counter-intuitive, and other things are simpler and more powerful. There are a few things I just can't seem to figure out. For those, two possibilities exist: that feature isn't working properly, and, I'll figure out what I'm doing wrong. With respect to the first, nothing this complicated works exactly as intended out of the box. I've done some software engineering and all the beta-testing in the world will not discover all of the stupid (from the designer/programmer perspective) things users will try to do. Bugs will be discovered. Bugs will be addressed. With regard to the second, when I can't figure something out, I'll post a question. The friendly community here at POTN will guide me in the right direction.

I appreciate POTN and Pekka's efforts to make it better for all of us. I still spend more time on POTN than any sane person should. As my wife says, "At least you're not in the bars hitting on little girls." Now there's an idea!

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

553 views & 3 likes for this thread
Human Nature (or was that the call of nature?)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.