Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews
Thread started 07 Dec 2014 (Sunday) 17:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM, reviewed by PCousins

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND PCousins (showing now: PCousins)
Overall Rating10
Overall Image Quality10
Value for Money9
Bokeh10
Sharpness10
Contrast10
Focusing10
Must Have9
Suitability to Intended Use10
Got What I Expected10
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM

PCousins
Joined Nov 2014
Weston-Super-Mare (UK)
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by PCousins.
Dec 07, 2014 17:24 |  #1

IMAGE: http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/paul-cousins/Holiday%20Pictures/200f22.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://s1107.photobuck​et.com/user/paul-cousins/library/] (external link)
paul-cousins's image (external link) by paul-cousins on photo bucket

IMAGE: http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/paul-cousins/Holiday%20Pictures/200f24.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://s1107.photobuck​et.com/user/paul-cousins/library/] (external link)
IMAGE: http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/paul-cousins/Holiday%20Pictures/200f25.jpg
IMAGE: http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/paul-cousins/Holiday%20Pictures/200f23.jpg

This is an easy review for me to write as the 200 f/2.0 is my favourite lens which I have owned for nearly 3 years. I use this lens for People Portraits, Wildlife, Event Photography as well as Sports. In fact I use it almost all the time and always wide open.

I get the best out of the lens by always using back button focussing and shooting 80% of the time in Manual Mode

Bokeh

There is no doubt about it that the 200 f/2.0 is the King of bokeh out of the present Canon lens range. I can say that because I currently own the 85L2 f/1.2 and have up to 3 months ago owned the 135 f/2.0.
The f/2.0 aperture combined with the focal length sets this lens apart and in a league of it’s own. The way it renders the bokeh is unique and simply amazing and unlike any other lens. I would go as far as to say that it is on par with the legendary 50mm f/1.0 and 200mm f/1.8.

Focussing (AF)

Lightning quick and very accurate.

IS

Truly amazing and considering this is a very heavy lens (2.5kgs) I can easily take sharp handheld shots at 1/10 sec.

Construction

It is extremely well built and fully weather sealed. The Optical/Electronic and mechanical quality is absolutely top class. No question about it.

Sharpness

It is so sharp I find that I do not have to post-sharpen any images.

Using 1.4x & 2x MK3 Extenders

When paired with the Mk3 extenders will give you 3 long fast IS lenses. I have noticed that with the extenders there is a very slight increase of CA wide open but this disperses when stopped down by 1 stop.

Disadvantages

The lens cap is awkward, I tend to use the Neoprene lens coat and padded hoodie as it helps protect the lens and makes it more discreet. This is a good thing as the lens will get you unwanted attention. I have lost count of the number of times people have commented about it.
Expensive, I was skeptical about spending so much money on a lens but after the first day of use I wondered why I didn’t buy it sooner. Yes it is a lot of money however, you do get your money’s worth.

Recommendations

The camera comes with a 52mm drop in Canon UV filter. I like to use the circular polarising filter which is very easy to change over. This filter brings the photo’s alive and helps enhance images. The results are amazing, but the cost at £180 is far too high for what it actually is. However, this is now an essential addition to my kit and, overall, a small price to pay for what it delivers.

Conclusion

It truly is an outstanding piece of equipment for all the reasons I have already mentioned. It is a beauty of a lens and I will never part with it only if canon decide to bring out a MK2 version in years to come. I have a lot of fun using this lens, it is and can be challenging with 200mm but that for me is what makes it more enjoyable. The images it process give almost a 3d type effect and when I bought it I felt that my photography had stepped up a gear or two.

Canon 1ds MK3 with EF200 f/2.0 IS USM 1/160th @ f2.0 @ISO 100

IMAGE: http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/paul-cousins/Holiday%20Pictures/200f2bokeh1.jpg
paul-cousins's image (external link) by paul-cousins on photobucket

Gear List

sponsored links
danb708
Joined Aug 2006
Bay Area
Dec 09, 2014 11:30 |  #2

Mine stays welded to a 5dmk3

PCousins
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2014
Weston-Super-Mare (UK)
Dec 09, 2014 13:59 as a reply to danb708's post |  #3

Hello danb708,

My lens is just over 3 years old, I'm aware that there is a phenomenon which occurs where the lens may emit an abnormal noise when used with a 5dMk3. Yes it's good that Canon will inspect and repair free of charge. Although I do not own a 5d3 I don't think it's necessary for me to get mine done. I do not have any issues at all with my 1ds3, 5d2, 7d bodies. Can you tell me if you have experienced this noise, Is it really that bad. I may want one day a 5d3?.
I would be interested in knowing your view/opinion. Thank you

Gear List

danb708
Joined Aug 2006
Bay Area
Dec 11, 2014 11:49 |  #4

PCousins wrote in post #17323035external link
Hello danb708,

My lens is just over 3 years old, I'm aware that there is a phenomenon which occurs where the lens may emit an abnormal noise when used with a 5dMk3. Yes it's good that Canon will inspect and repair free of charge. Although I do not own a 5d3 I don't think it's necessary for me to get mine done. I do not have any issues at all with my 1ds3, 5d2, 7d bodies. Can you tell me if you have experienced this noise, Is it really that bad. I may want one day a 5d3?.

I have not experienced any negative issues with my 5dm3 paired with the 200 f2, mine is quiet and extremely fast and accurate. I highly recommend the combo and after seeing posts with this combo by Lisa Holloway I decided to take the plunge and have no regrets!

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Jan 09, 2015 05:54 |  #5

I would like the "king of bokeh" for portraits

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,142 posts
Joined Jun 2005
san jose
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by sonnyc.
Jan 11, 2015 00:10 |  #6

PCousins wrote in post #17323035external link
Hello danb708,

You could borrow a 5D3 and test to see if your lens has this issue. My is an older version and had the noise with both of my 5D3 and Canon fixed it.
My friend, OTOH, has a newer version and he didn't experience any issue with his 5D3.

After the fix it's really quiet. Prior to that you would hear the click...click. It was pretty loud and hard to miss.

Or if you're concern, just send it in

Sonny
websiteexternal link|Gear List

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,611 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. 2 edits done in total.
May 10, 2015 01:08 |  #7

Great review! It's such an amazing lens indeed.

sonnyc wrote in post #17376546external link
You could borrow a 5D3 and test to see if your lens has this issue. My is an older version and had the noise with both of my 5D3.....

Wow, I forgot all about this issue. I just tried it with my 5D3 Vs. the 1D4 and wow, is it much louder and "clunky" IS with the 5D3.

Do I really have to send it to Canon?,. bummer.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

4,581 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM, reviewed by PCousins
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.