Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 10 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 11:49
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Price of photography

mltn
Joined Sep 2010
Dec 14, 2014 03:50 |  #16

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #17329170external link
I get your points. Another thing to consider is not all photographers sell prints. We don't unless it is included in one of our special events we do 4 times a year. The rest of the time we do not offer prints.

OK cool, I don't really know what your special events 4 times a year could be, but I'm trying to help as a business oriented photographer. If you're cool with leaving money on the table, then please go wild. I too used to be too lazy to offer prints, but it only requires a bit of set up with a good hosting site to get your galleries up and running.

sponsored links
Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,209 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Dec 14, 2014 12:01 |  #17

mltn wrote in post #17331281external link
OK cool, I don't really know what your special events 4 times a year could be, but I'm trying to help as a business oriented photographer. If you're cool with leaving money on the table, then please go wild. I too used to be too lazy to offer prints, but it only requires a bit of set up with a good hosting site to get your galleries up and running.

I don't think being lazy is way. We offered prints for a good while and never sold much in that way. Every customer we had and talked to wanted digital. As a business owner we have realized not every client is the same. If a customer asks about prints we are happy to put together a package but that hardly ever happens.

I have yet to wrap up a job and feel I left money on the table.

figo
THREAD ­ STARTER
695 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Dec 15, 2014 14:06 |  #18

Just offered the low-res (FB Twitter special) and it seems to be popular. Priced it under $10 and I've sold a few already.

Canon 1D MKIV, 1D MKIII, Canon 70-200 f2.8, Canon 400 f2.8, Canon 16-35mm f2.8.

Road ­ Dog
Joined Jul 2014
St. Augustine, Florida
Dec 18, 2014 01:11 |  #19

Alveric wrote in post #17324731external link
Regardless, the photos better be poor quality at that price.

That's the single worst piece of photo advice I've ever read.

If you're charging money for photos, those photos should never be "poor quality".

I always try to give my clients the best images I can, regardless of the price. That way my name is never associated with "poor quality".

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

Road ­ Dog
Joined Jul 2014
St. Augustine, Florida
Dec 18, 2014 01:12 |  #20

Occasionally, I shoot for a retirement community here. I charge them $65.00 per image for a digital image...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Post has been edited over 3 years ago by Alveric.
Dec 20, 2014 13:05 |  #21

Road Dog wrote in post #17339052external link
That's the single worst piece of photo advice I've ever read.

If you're charging money for photos, those photos should never be "poor quality".

I always try to give my clients the best images I can, regardless of the price. That way my name is never associated with "poor quality".

You need to turn on your sarcasm detector, mate.;-)a That 'advice' can then be rephrased as 'don't even bother shooting'.

I always strive for quality even if the client's ripping me off.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

figo
THREAD ­ STARTER
695 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Dec 20, 2014 20:01 |  #22

Interesting reactions. I may have to revaluate my low-res option.

Canon 1D MKIV, 1D MKIII, Canon 70-200 f2.8, Canon 400 f2.8, Canon 16-35mm f2.8.

NetJohn
82 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Sarasota area
Dec 21, 2014 13:35 |  #23

Really depends on your business model and how the event/sport is performed.

I've sold a CD of print-ready images for normally $50, and was willing to go as low as $10. Yep, typically 50+ images on each CD.

However, I was moving $50 CDs at such a rate that I was having a hard time keeping up. 200+ CDs at that price at an decent event. I think the most was over 250 for a weekend. You do the math and figure out if it was worth my time or not. I paid my 3 to 6 photographers well; my direct costs were fairly limited to labor and minimal material. I tried a higher price point only to see sales drop. At $50 per CD, they were MOVING.

And the $10 per CD? Think 1800+ participants and the CD built into the cost of entry. That's 100% market penetration and $18k+ in guaranteed sales for a one-weekend event.

So as I said, the price really depends.

NJ

Canon Shooter

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,584 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Annapolis Maryland
Post has been edited over 3 years ago by CanonCameraFan.
Dec 27, 2014 10:38 as a reply to NetJohn's post |  #24

At $10 per CD, how did you distribute or present the CD's? Are they printed with art work?

I do some shooting at my kids High School Performances and a friends monthly church concerts. Simply for the thrill of it, not business at all. I decided to distribute a set to the teacher (or visiting band/school club members) and would use Printable CD-R's. Cost of distribution got to be an issue, so now use Flickr. Flickr is so instant and free. No printing and no postage required. For a paying Event, CD's would have blossomed to :

Own a CD Printer (had simply borrowed from our church for such low runs as for nearby school...)
Cost of Printable CD-R's
Ink
CD Sleeves
Mailers
Postage
Addressing Time
Pay for professional Printer Service and Mailing vs local/home printing.

Cost of distribution is often greater than mfg for many products we buy as consumers. I could imagine cost to have done would be at least $4 to $5, which would still leave $9K gross margin?

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Sunpak 622 Pro, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 50/1.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Quantums 1 & 1+, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

sponsored links

4,075 views & 1 like for this thread
Price of photography
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.