Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 26 Dec 2014 (Friday) 09:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

there IV

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
Joined Apr 2012
Latvia and Lithuania
Dec 26, 2014 09:50 |  #1

"there" are a series of moments taken at my homeplace, where we live our lives and building a family.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7510/15489166994_697d14823d_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://www.flickr.com ...s/sektabrand/154891​66994/] (external link)
there IV (external link) by Olafs Osh (external link) on Flickr

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Dec 28, 2014 10:02 |  #2

I'm trying to figure out the story in this image. Sorry, it's not coming. Are those tiny things animal footprints? The shading makes them look raised, which is confusing. If you were trying to illustrate the gathering of shoe prints and animal prints, keep trying. And get rid of the real legs. They draw too much attention.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

Ian ­ Mackie
"I'm not welcome. I look foward to her admonishment"
Joined May 2013
From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"
Dec 28, 2014 10:06 |  #3

joedlh wrote in post #17354056external link
I'm trying to figure out the story in this image. Sorry, it's not coming. Are those tiny things animal footprints? The shading makes them look raised, which is confusing. If you were trying to illustrate the gathering of shoe prints and animal prints, keep trying. And get rid of the real legs. They draw too much attention.

Glad it's just not me Joe, I just don't get it.

flickr (external link)

olafs ­ osh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2012
Latvia and Lithuania
Dec 28, 2014 11:34 |  #4

Yeah. It's really no surprise - I won't get it as well, actually. :] That was wrong of me to post it here.

The idea is - to show a small and seemingly irrelevant moment from life around my living place. It's just shows our porch with cat's and bird's footprints, as my fiancee goes inside. I do understand, that as a standalone image it's empty. Not going to delete it, though - I hate, when people delete threads or images from forums :]

IF there's an interest, here are three other images from these series.external link

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|

Galix
Joined May 2013
Dec 28, 2014 16:15 as a reply to olafs osh's post |  #5

I am not one to comment a lot, but I quite like it. Maybe because I can relate to that sort of stampede that happens when you get home and the animals all want in at the same time, after being a while outside. It even tells me "I've been waiting for you freezing in the snow, you human...".

There might not be a story in it for everyone, but there is one for me. I also like the point of view, contrast and minimalistic setting.

I wouldn't toss it as I feel it does compliment the spirit of the other photographs in the series.

And every time I return to it, I smile because I'm imagining all sorts of stories... ah well.

Acetoolguy
384 posts
Joined Dec 2009
East Coast, USA
Dec 28, 2014 17:37 |  #6

I would like to see more of the door, looks like it has a lot of character....

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Dec 28, 2014 22:57 as a reply to Acetoolguy's post |  #7

very nice shot.

the paw prints were quite obvious to me and don't at all look raised, like the human legs but might try to make them more obvious and push the heel into the "rule of thirds" area.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

olafs ­ osh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2012
Latvia and Lithuania
Dec 29, 2014 03:34 |  #8

Aye. It is a slight crop here, yeah. Tried your suggestion as well then, but that leaf and prints in the bottom left made it very difficult to crop them out/split/leave. This is the best I got considering all the things I wanted to leave in without losing that exact feel I had when rushed to grab that moment :]

Thanks.

- Olafs Osh

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Dec 29, 2014 08:50 |  #9

It did what you intended, it shows the flow of life around your door and can make a person "think".

"there IV"... I see four different creatures represented there...one human present, one human past, a four-footed creature, and a bird. The paw prints exhibit impatience in gaining entry to the building whereas the humans are direct in their entrance. The bird tracks passing by without attention given to the doorway add interest to the scene by pointing out an interloper passing by that has little to no interest in the lives that the doorway conceals...the bird tracks add a little mystery.

Imagination, where would we be without it.... ;)

A great photo?...I dunno, I'm not a good critic. A story within it?....I'd say so.

Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

sponsored links

1,962 views & 1 like for this thread
there IV
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.