Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Thread started 27 Dec 2014 (Saturday) 15:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Recommend a compact camera to use in lieu of my 5D3

Daphatty
Joined Jan 2012
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Daphatty.
Dec 27, 2014 15:47 |  #1

So I've come to the realization that carrying around my DSLR kit simply isn't practical at all times so I am interested in picking up a compact camera. Ideally, this camera will be able to shoot in RAW format and have most of the same capabilities of a DSLR minus the interchangeable lenses. While I am fond of Canon products, I am not limiting my options to the Canon brand for this camera.

As I mentioned, this camera will be used to augment my kit when I cannot bring the DSLR with me. I am starting a new 52 week project and am hoping the flexibility of a smaller camera will help aid me in actually completing the project this time around. :) Any suggestions?

EDIT: I have a budget of $750 USD.

Canon 5D III | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 40mm f/2.8
Nest NT-6295c Tripod | Bendo IB2 Ballhead

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Dec 27, 2014 16:41 |  #2

Take a look at the SX60 - I think it would meet your needs. It does RAW, has an eye-level (electronic) viewfinder and has an equivalent focal length range of 21-1300 or so mm. I've got one and quite like it for that purpose. The other possibility, smaller and with a lesser zoom range, would be the S110 or S120 - RAW, 24-120 mm EFL, and quite small; my S110 lives on a pouch on my belt.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

denncald
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Marquette, MI, USA
Dec 28, 2014 15:12 |  #3

Consider a Canon refurbished G15 for $198 at the moment. I got one a couple of weeks ago, and really like the improvements over my G9 and G11.

http://shop.usa.canon.​com ...powershot-g15-refurbishedexternal link

http://shop.usa.canon.​com ...shed-products-informationexternal link

http://www.usa.canon.c​om ...as/powershot_g15#Ov​erviewexternal link

Otherwise, look at the newer G16 for full price.

Dennis

Olympia ­ rider
Joined Aug 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Olympia rider.
Dec 30, 2014 01:54 |  #4

If you like doing minimal processing in PP to most of your shots like me an S110 can give the same final quality shots as a dslr but of course you wont have the same creativity as a dslr. I would like to try the G series in the future also I think there a nice smaller camera.

6D - 50mm f1.8 - Sigma EX120-300 f2.8 - Zeiss 50 1.7 MMJ - Zeiss 35-70 3.4 MMJ - Helios 44M 2 - Yashica ML28, ML50, ML35-70.
(Film rules :) Contax RX - Yashica FX3 Super 2000 - Yashica FX7 - Yashica FX70 - Zenit EM - Canon 620 - Petri 7s)

1,164 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recommend a compact camera to use in lieu of my 5D3
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.