Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 01 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 06:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Scavenger hunt

MichiTimm
Joined Dec 2009
Charlotte
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by MichiTimm. 10 edits done in total.
Jan 01, 2015 06:05 |  #1

The idea behind this is to get out and shoot more – and to look for subjects where perhaps you ordinarily wouldn’t.

I’m going to list five topics/subjects and over the course of the month I’ll take photographs representing each one – or at least representing my interpretation of each one. Basically, anything goes. If one of the subjects is “red” and for whatever reason that inspires me to take a photo of something yellow, I’m okay with that – just so it gets me to look for photos in places I might not ordinarily look for photos. In the past, I've found that if a word such as "red" is on the list I'll find myself looking at all things red all month long -- and that's kind of the point. I’m not sure it’s really a “competition”, other than with yourself, but I wasn’t sure where else to post this.

At the end of the month I’ll post five photos. It'll probably be one of each word, but not necessarily. I hope you’ll join me, and share your results at the end of the month. And if you do join me and share your work, perhaps you might want to volunteer to pick five words/topics for an upcoming month.

One approach I've used in the past is to take a photo of everything on the list as early in the month as I can, and then the rest of the month I'll be looking for opportunities to improve on what I already have. So I might take a crappyish snapshot of some stairs today, and then next week try to find prettier or more interesting stairs or try to get them in more interesting light, or find a whole 'nother interpretation of "stairs" altogether where I'm shooting something in nature that reminds me of stairs. Anyway, if you decide to go along you may be surprised at how much time you spend looking for something that fits your idea of "almost pretty" and how much fun you have deciding on how best to photograph it. I hope so!

MONTH-BY-MONTH TOPICS
*NOTE: I will edit this post each month to add the current month's topics. If by some chance there is a limit to how many times I can edit a post and can no longer add to this post, I will re-post this list in post #2 of this thread - the next one down. But hopefully it won't come to that!

JANUARY (picked by MichiTimm)
stairs - morning - window - circle - almost pretty

FEBRUARY (picked by Old Crow)
SOOC - Candy - Ant's Eye View - Ordinary - The Letter "K"

MARCH (picked by cubatahavana)
Red - Yellow - Blue - Black - Green

APRIL (picked by CameraMan)
Tool - Drink - Food - Landscape - Black and White

MAY (picked by EastBayGirl)
Pattern - Aged - Natural - Small - Angles

JUNE (picked by philk54)
Innocence - Magical - Extraordinary - Work - Vacation

JULY (picked by darkslinger)
Stretch - Fresh - Fail - Pathways - Chill

AUGUST (picked by Intheswamp)
Shine - Brick - Pan - Texture - Shadow

SEPTEMBER (picked by Benitoite)
Imprint - Address - Invention - String - Dusk

OCTOBER (picked by MichiTimm)
Vintage - Minimalist - Collection - Numbers - Animal

NOVEMBER (picked by Old Crow)
Old/Abandoned/Decaying - Around Town - Hands - Something Blue - Naturally B&W

DECEMBER (picked by EastBayGirl)
Lights - Seasonal - Together - Special - Golden

sponsored links
MichiTimm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2009
Charlotte
Jan 11, 2015 18:07 |  #2

So.... is anyone thinking of joining me in this or am I on my own here?

My progress is pretty good so far. I have at least one of each topic, and several of most. Nothing to write home about, but a couple are pretty cool - and I have twenty days or so to take ones I like better. More importantly, I've been using my cameras quite a bit this month. :)

OldCrow
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2013
NC Foothills
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by OldCrow.
Jan 20, 2015 12:39 |  #3

Hi Michi,

If you are still wanting to do this I'll sign on as a late starter. Not sure about your last topic though. It may be a tough one for me.

When do you propose we post our pictures?

Cheers,
OC

Don
---------------
Canon SX50, Pentax K30, Fuji S2950

MichiTimm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2009
Charlotte
Jan 20, 2015 15:10 |  #4

Great!
I'm definitely still doing it, and would love the company.

If one topic doesn't work for you, just skip it. Heck, if you want to just concentrate on one topic and post five photos of that I say go for it. Do whatever works for you and gets you shooting more. I've been treating "almost pretty" as "so ugly it's almost pretty" and just looking for ugly-ish things to photograph. But yeah, feel free to skip any that don't do anything for you.

No etched-in-stone rules about when to post either. I'll probably wait until a couple days before the end of the month, or a couple days after the start of the new one. I'd hate to post my pics on the 25th and then take a perfect "window" photo the next day, you know? But to each his own.

Same thing with posting the list for February. I'll put something up a couple days before the end of the month so anyone who wants to participate can start thinking of ideas. Or if anyone else wants to volunteer to pick five topics for February, have at it.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
12,968 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2010
In The Sticks
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by CameraMan.
Jan 20, 2015 15:35 |  #5

I too may try this. Been busy with work and the weather hasn't been all that great either. I've been toying with playing with film again too so maybe I'll add a different ambiance to this thread. :)

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

MichiTimm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2009
Charlotte
Jan 20, 2015 16:15 |  #6

CameraMan wrote in post #17391666external link
I too may try this. Been busy with work and the weather hasn't been all that great either. I've been toying with playing with film again too so maybe I'll add a different ambiance to this thread. :)

The more the merrier! And if time or anything's an issue, feel free to just do what you can. One or two of the topics is better than none, right?

P.S. You might not be the only one putting up film shots -- I've been on a little bit of a film binge myself. As a matter of fact, in another thread you gave me some advice on what to look for when inspecting an AE-1. So I wouldn't be shocked if a couple of mine are film shots. :)

OldCrow
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2013
NC Foothills
Jan 21, 2015 10:56 |  #7

" I've been treating "almost pretty" as "so ugly it's almost pretty" and just looking for ugly-ish things to photograph."

This is where the right side of my brain is leading me also.

Don
---------------

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
12,968 posts
Joined Dec 2010
In The Sticks
Jan 21, 2015 13:06 |  #8

OldCrow wrote in post #17393047external link
" I've been treating "almost pretty" as "so ugly it's almost pretty" and just looking for ugly-ish things to photograph."

This is where the right side of my brain is leading me also.

Same here. I found something that probably used to be 'pretty' but is now ugly.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

wmccree
76 posts
Joined May 2014
Jan 21, 2015 14:09 |  #9

I like this idea. I might be to late for this month but look forward to next!

1D Mk iv | 40D | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Tamron SP 24-70mm 2.8 | 50 f1.8 ii
Flickr Accountexternal link

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
12,968 posts
Joined Dec 2010
In The Sticks
Jan 21, 2015 14:27 |  #10

I might have some issues with morning. When I get up it's WAY too dark for photos before I head out for work.

MichiTimm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2009
Charlotte
Jan 21, 2015 17:38 |  #11

wmccree wrote in post #17393347external link
I like this idea. I might be to late for this month but look forward to next!

You're not too late for this month! Heck, you still have ten days -- that's plenty of time to get one or two anyway. Go for it.

CameraMan wrote in post #17393364external link
I might have some issues with morning. When I get up it's WAY too dark for photos before I head out for work.

You could always take an indoor photo of something that represents morning -- like a cup of coffee or something. Or skip it and post two of something else. :)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
12,968 posts
Joined Dec 2010
In The Sticks
Jan 22, 2015 19:29 |  #12

So, when do we post these? The week before the end of the month? How is the next person selected? Do you select that person? Is there a vote? This is a cool idea but it needs a little more information to complete I think.

Can't wait to see what we all come up with.

MichiTimm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2009
Charlotte
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by MichiTimm. 9 edits done in total.
Jan 22, 2015 19:58 |  #13

CameraMan wrote in post #17395426 (external link)
So, when do we post these? The week before the end of the month? How is the next person selected? Do you select that person? Is there a vote? This is a cool idea but it needs a little more information to complete I think.

Can't wait to see what we all come up with.

The only other time I participated in one of these it was all kept pretty informal and casual and I think it worked very well. So as far as I'm concerned we don't really need a ton of strict rules. The intent is just to give us stuff to shoot on those days when we don't really have anything else in mind but want to shoot something. Hopefully, it'll get us out more and maybe get us looking at some things we ordinarily wouldn't.

If you want to post the photos the last week of the month, that's fine. I'll probably wait until the month is actually over, and post mine the first week of February. But since it isn't really intended to be a winner/loser type contest I don't think it really matters -- it's not like you'll be "disqualified" if you post them at the wrong time.

I would love it if other people volunteered to select the topics for a month. I find it a lot more fun when I'm looking for topics picked by someone else.

So who wants to volunteer for February? All you gotta do is pick 5 topics and let us know what they are on or before February 1.

How about I make a list here and keep it updated so we can see who has picked which month and who's coming up:

JANUARY: MichiTimm
FEBRUARY: OldCrow
MARCH: cubatahavana
APRIL: CameraMan
MAY: EastBayGirl
JUNE: philk54
JULY: darkslinger
AUGUST: InTheSwamp
SEPTEMBER: Benitoite
OCTOBER: MichiTimm
NOVEMBER: OldCrow
DECEMBER:

OldCrow
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2013
NC Foothills
Jan 23, 2015 07:56 |  #14

I'll volunteer for Feb.

Don
---------------

MichiTimm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2009
Charlotte
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by MichiTimm.
Jan 23, 2015 08:06 |  #15

OldCrow wrote in post #17396030external link
I'll volunteer for Feb.

Cool. I penciled you in on the list.
Feel free to post the topics a few days before the end of the month if you'd like - that would give us a little time to think about what we want to do, maybe even discuss it. Also, I'm not married to 5 -- I think the rules limit us to 8 photos per post (I could be wrong about that though - someone please correct me if I am) so feel free to pick any number up to 8. I just went with 5 because it felt right to me.

sponsored links

87,276 views & 291 likes for this thread
Scavenger hunt
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.