Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 04 Jan 2015 (Sunday) 09:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III, reviewed by PCousins

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND PCousins (showing now: PCousins)
Overall Rating9.5
Overall Image Quality9.5
Value for Money9
Must Have8.5
Suitability to Intended Use9
Got What I Expected10
AF Performance9.5
Handling and Ergonomics9
User-interface9
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III

PCousins
Joined Nov 2014
Weston-Super-Mare (UK)
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by PCousins.
Jan 04, 2015 09:20 |  #1

As it's not been done yet I'd thought I be the 1st to write a review on the 1Ds Mk3.

It’s hard to believe that this camera has been around for nearly 8 years. With Camera technology moving at such a fast pace the 1Ds3 is still up there with the best and was once Canon’s flagship camera. Of course it has it’s limitations and cannot be expected to outperform the newer less expensive models but what an incredible camera body this is.

My review is not on this camera’s specifications, but more so on why I like this camera and why I have owned it for over 4 years. I have no intentions of upgrading it. It suits me for my style of photography. I have learn’t over the years of what it can and cannot do and yet it still impresses me to this day.

For a start it’s built like a tank the weather and dust resistant sealing unbeatable. Mine has seen many windy beaches over the years and constantly gets caught in the continuous harsh English rain. I easily take 25k photo’s a year with it. I have no ideal of the shutter count but why care when the shutter has been designed for 300,000 actuations. That’s 12 years use in my case.

It has a full frame 21mp sensor able to recall a huge amount of resolution and detail through a bright 100% coverage viewfinder so what your lens sees you see through the viewfinder.

It delivers 5 frames per second for a continuous burst of up to 56 JPEGs (12 in RAW). Not a lot in todays standards but adequate for me when at motocross events.

Noise starts to appear at ISO1600 but still the results are excellent. I am not interested in extreme ISO settings as I rarely take photographs in such lighting conditions.

I enjoy long exposure photography as well as HDR photography and I particularly like the fact that you have an eyepiece shutter lever that prevents stray light from entering the eyepiece. Also by holding down the Mode button and AF-Drive button at the same time sets the Auto Exposure Bracketing for 7 shots at different exposures. This also can be changed to 3 as well as 5 shots.

The battery power life is unbelievable. On 2 week family holidays I find that just taking a spare battery is more than adequate. They just keep on going forever.

Being a bit paranoid I use both the CF and SD cards to store the images and I normally set the camera to write to both cards simultaneously. This means I have a backup in camera - great if either a card fails or I loose one!

I set my camera for back button focussing with AI Servo, I have used this method for a few years now. The focussing is spot on with its accuracy and is extremely fast. The exposure and white balance is excellent. I also like the feature that allows spot metering to track along with the centre spot AF.
The colours are also vibrant and rich. I have used it with more than a dozen different EF lenses and not had a problem with any of them.

The menu’s are easy to understand and to make selections/changes to. Customising the camera to your requirements again is easy.

90% of the time I set the camera for MANUAL, the speed can be changed by simply rotating a dial, the Aperture can also be changed by using another dial. The ISO value is selected by pushing the ISO button and then rotating the dial. In fact everything is easily accessible.

It’s just such a good all rounder designed for tough professional use.

My only real complaint is that the screen is not as bright as others. When I first started using it, I thought I was underexposing, but later looking at the images on the laptop, I discovered I wasn’t. The screen is only of use for checking the composition of the photo. If you zoom in on any part of the photo the definition is not high enough to be able to confirm the focus accuracy. However, saying that I do use it successfully for live view when mounted on my tripod. Ah one thing...in live view you can only focus manually.

I've got a 7D and 5d2 to supplement my 1Ds3. I use the 7d as my 1.6x Crop camera and my 5d2 for video as the 1Ds3 cannot do video.
if you are not bothered by the lack of video, then this body represents superb 2nd hand value.

So, to conclude, the 1Ds Mk3 lives up to everything I expect of it and I'm absolutely delighted with it. I use it lots. Very rarely picking up any other camera. Of course it could be better but for now I'm perfectly content with the camera and do not feel it constrains me in any way.

There are so many other features that I could talk about but if you have any questions please feel free to ask me.

I have taken great care of mine as can be seen in the few pictures below.

Thank you for reading my review and I would be very interested to hear what other owners have to say or anyone who maybe interested in buying one.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

[ATTACH]B[/ATTACH]

Gear List

sponsored links
PCousins
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2014
Weston-Super-Mare (UK)
Jan 04, 2015 09:32 |  #2

Other Images

HOSTED PHOTO

IMAGE: http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/paul-cousins/3Bodies1.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://s1107.photobuck​et.com/user/paul-cousins/library/] (external link)
paul-cousins's image (external link) by paul-cousins on photobucket

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by watt100.
Jan 05, 2015 05:12 |  #3

PCousins wrote in post #17365397 (external link)
Other Images

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by PCousins in
./showthread.php?p=173​65397&i=i109021149
forum: Camera Reviews

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://s1107.photobuck​et.com/user/paul-cousins/library/] (external link)
paul-cousins's image (external link) by paul-cousins on photobucket

nice pic and review but those cameras need a body cap

ruskivolk
30 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Feb 10, 2015 15:40 |  #4

How's the iso capabilities of this beast? What about dynamic range?

NWPhil
Joined Apr 2010
Oregon
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by NWPhil.
Feb 10, 2015 15:52 as a reply to ruskivolk's post |  #5

Nice to see that still getiing plenty of love :)

allow me to post a few links that will answer more technical questions:

http://www.dpreview.co​m/reviews/canoneos1dsm​arkiiiexternal link
http://www.canon.com ...007_eos1ds_mark3.ht​ml?p=2external link

http://cpn.canon-europe.com ...S-1DsMkIII-Whitepaper.pdfexternal link
http://www.robgalbrait​h.com ..._mark_iii_white_pap​er.pdfexternal link
http://www.eos-magazine.com ...es/Custom%20functio​ns.pdfexternal link

many others have said, that bellow 400 iso, it owns nothing to newer models (maybe up to last week :D), and has even a more pleasant resolution
The back screen does not help reviewing shallow DOF shots, but the histogram works very well still :)

NWPhil
Editing Image OK
GEAR

Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Sin City, Vegas
Jun 19, 2015 19:21 |  #6

I just took the leap and purchased this beast ... 5 posts, in 5 months? C'mon folks lol. Is this not a popular camera or what?

And thank you Paul .. nice write up!

texaskev
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
Austin & Dallas Texas
Jul 04, 2015 19:05 |  #7

I still use a 1D3 often. And I would give it a 10 for value. You can buy one for 700ish bucks. Now that's a great deal for a full body racecar of a camera. Image quality is great but images over 3200 ISO are too grainy.

Thanks for the review!

Canon 1DX II, 1DX, 11-24 F4 L, 100 F2.8 L, 16-35 F2.8 L II, 17-40 F4 L, 24-70 F2.8 L II, 24-105 F4 L II, 70-200 F2.8 L II

Grayheron
73 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Auckland New Zealand
Sep 13, 2015 03:19 as a reply to texaskev's post |  #8

The best camera that have owned traded my 7D, Love the full frame, makes my EF17 - 40 mm wide the way that Canon made it.
the EF24 - 105 mm is a great fit. Have used it as a travel lens worked great.

Bruce.
EOS 1Ds 3, a couple of L Lens Speedlite 600EX. /Manfrotto 190B tripod with 352RC head. 479 - 4B monopod.

Thorrulz
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2009
The Land of the "Go Big Red!"
Sep 15, 2015 16:39 |  #9

I owned the 1DsMIII and would rate it at an overall 8.5.

AF is very good so a 9
Image quality at low iso would be rated 8
Overall build quality 9.5
Dynamic range and high iso would be 6
Battery life 9.5

While the 1DsMIII was the last Canon dslr I owned it was also a camera that I enjoyed using the most in the Canon lineup.

In fact, I consider the Nikon D800 I shoot with now is everything what the Canon 1DsMIV could have been, lol.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

UKmitch86
Joined Jun 2012
Leicestershire, UK
Sep 16, 2015 18:27 |  #10

I've owned a 5Dc and can understand your remarks about IQ keeping up with far newer models - I wondered whether you'd swap your 1Ds3 for a 6D?

Canon 1Ds3 | 16-35/4 | 50/1.8 | 135/2
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/ukmitch86/ (external link)

erikscanon
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2016
Mar 22, 2016 13:26 |  #11

Hey! I'm new, anyway, I saw this post and THANK YOU for it as I jus purchased a 1Ds3 on Adorama today! This in combo with my 5D3 for weddings!

UKmitch86
Joined Jun 2012
Leicestershire, UK
Apr 04, 2016 08:24 |  #12

Hey all - DPP4 is available for 1Ds3 now. Don't know if I'm late to the party with this, but it's news to me anyway!

http://www.canon-europe.com ...redetailid=tcm:13-1381485 (external link)

Canon 1Ds3 | 16-35/4 | 50/1.8 | 135/2
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/ukmitch86/ (external link)

sponsored links

8,213 views & 5 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III, reviewed by PCousins
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.