Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 02 Jan 2015 (Friday) 18:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Can you really notice an improvement 5K 27" imac??

mjmackinnon
808 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Ontario, Canada
Jan 02, 2015 18:44 |  #1

I have ordered one, and hopefully it will be shipped in the next 4-5 days. But I took a trip out to the local best buy and they had the two 27" iMac's on display, and at casual glance, I was hard pressed to see any difference between the two screens. Now I will admit they didn't have any 4k video demo's running. I just pulled up Safari and it had the apple web site up on both. If you got close, you could see that the small text was cleaner on the 5K but you needed to be 4-5" from the screen to tell. From a seated position, I couldn't tell them apart.

Now, when I priced the cost difference between the two with an i7 and the fusion drive, the cost break wasn't that big that I went with the 5K as I did get a faster processor and on paper the better monitor. (but some say slower performing video)

I am wondering from those who have worked for a long time on the older 27" screen, if the new screen is better, easier on the eyes, or some how more noticeable than I found in the non perfect setup at Bestbuy.

My Flickrexternal link - Canon EOS 5Diii | EF 50f/1.4 | EF 24-105 f/4L IS| EF 100-400L IS | EF 70-200f/4L |430 EX II | Elinchrom BX500Ri
Post Production: i7-2600k, Win7, iMac 27 i7 | Adobe Photoshop CS6

sponsored links
Talaska
603 posts
Joined May 2009
Jan 02, 2015 23:45 |  #2

I also just viewed both iMac 27" side by side at BB, and like you I could not see any difference. Kept seeing all these post saying the new iMac with 5K display was the best thing since sliced bread, but I couldn't see it. Like you said the price difference when you upgrade the old one to the new 5K specs there really isn't much price difference and you will have the latest machine with the latest updates like thunderbolt 2 and the 5K display for the future.

1D Mark IV, 5D Mark III, 7D, 1.4X MkIII, 2X MkIII, 17-40mm L, 70-200mm f2.8 IS Mk II L, 100mm macro, 500mm f4 IS L, 24-105mm f4 L, 580 EX II, 550EX

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Jan 02, 2015 23:56 |  #3

To see the difference you are going to have to view an image or video with that resolution. Very little on a standard webpage would have anywhere near the resolution that monitor is capable of.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

palmor
Joined Feb 2009
North of Boston, MA
Jan 03, 2015 09:09 as a reply to Nogo's post |  #4

Also make sure that the scaling is set appropriately on both so you are comparing apples to apples

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​rexternal link
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.comexternal link
Gear List

thenextguy
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Jan 05, 2015 00:19 |  #5

palmor wrote in post #17363801external link
so you are comparing apples to apples

:lol:

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

palmor
Joined Feb 2009
North of Boston, MA
Jan 05, 2015 20:54 |  #6

thenextguy wrote in post #17366731external link
:lol:

:) Someone got it!

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​rexternal link
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.comexternal link
Gear List

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Jan 06, 2015 22:39 |  #7

I was at the local Apple Store before Christmas with my girlfriend and went in to wow her with the new 5K display and neither one of us could tell which was which until I brought up the display info to be sure. With our faces only inches away I could see a small difference, but I think my girlfriend just said "oh yeah, nice" to get us out of the store. LOL. Strange after reading all the "MIND BOGGLING AMAZING DISPLAY" that we didn't see the "huge" difference. BUT, I think the biggest difference will be when you are viewing high res images in Photoshop and can see so much more of an image without zooming out (I assume programs like PS will automatically scale the image for the display?)

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

mjmackinnon
THREAD ­ STARTER
808 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Ontario, Canada
Jan 07, 2015 04:52 |  #8

But that is the ultimate question. Does the screen ultimately resolve to a resolution beyond what your eyes can see? Think of it from looking at a TV screen. We currently have on average 46" TV's and sit around 10' away. I have a 50/50 chance to distinguish a good mastered DVD that is 720x480 from a Bluray that is 1920x1080. There is more than 4x the amount of data being presented on the screen, but until I get <7' away, the difference is not noticeable.

This iMac is 1/4 the surface area and 100x the resoluton of a DVD. Sure, you are sitting far closer, but even if the monitor is presenting more detail on the screen, will you eyes be able to detect that difference for your brain to perceive it? When you are standing at a viewing deck at the Grand Canyon, do you see all the detail of the rock faces? Or the ripples on the water below? The detail clearly is all there once you get much closer, but your eyes can resolve that detail from that distance as it's just too small.

My Flickrexternal link - Canon EOS 5Diii | EF 50f/1.4 | EF 24-105 f/4L IS| EF 100-400L IS | EF 70-200f/4L |430 EX II | Elinchrom BX500Ri
Post Production: i7-2600k, Win7, iMac 27 i7 | Adobe Photoshop CS6

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
Joined Dec 2013
Exeter, Devon
Jan 07, 2015 05:58 as a reply to mjmackinnon's post |  #9

My thought is that it's all good and well editing and making a shot look awesome on a 5K monitor but joe bloggs doesnt have a calibrated monitor let alone a screen that can show that resolution.

Facebook (external link)
Sony @6000 | Sony 18-105 f4 G Series | Sony 16 f2.8 | Helios 44/m | Pentacon 135mm f2.8 | Yongnuo 560EX II | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera | Zenit EM 35mm camera |

enginyr
970 posts
Joined Feb 2009
San Fernando Valley
Apr 19, 2015 03:33 |  #10

update?

LA Wedding photographerexternal link Stunning Bride Photographers.

john5189
598 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by john5189.
Apr 19, 2015 04:07 |  #11

I can barely seeexternal link the pixels on my HD 42inch tv. 4K displays are for BIG screens. 4K displays are for BIG screens; 60inch plus- it is what cinema digital is filmed in- if that helps.

Wedding Photography in Herefordshire.  (external link)

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Apr 19, 2015 04:20 |  #12

http://referencehometh​eater.com ...commentary/4k-calculator/external link could help.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013
London, Paris, NY
Apr 19, 2015 04:24 |  #13

mjmackinnon wrote in post #17362898external link
I have ordered one, and hopefully it will be shipped in the next 4-5 days. But I took a trip out to the local best buy and they had the two 27" iMac's on display, and at casual glance, I was hard pressed to see any difference between the two screens. Now I will admit they didn't have any 4k video demo's running. I just pulled up Safari and it had the apple web site up on both. If you got close, you could see that the small text was cleaner on the 5K but you needed to be 4-5" from the screen to tell. From a seated position, I couldn't tell them apart.

Now, when I priced the cost difference between the two with an i7 and the fusion drive, the cost break wasn't that big that I went with the 5K as I did get a faster processor and on paper the better monitor. (but some say slower performing video)

I am wondering from those who have worked for a long time on the older 27" screen, if the new screen is better, easier on the eyes, or some how more noticeable than I found in the non perfect setup at Bestbuy.

Sure you can. For 4k, 27" would be the minimum size I'd recommend. 30" would be better. Scaling is very well executed on a Mac.

You will start to appreciate the 4k, if you do have a 4k capable graphics card, when you upload high resolution files from your dslr. You'll notice that your pics are a lot sharper than you had previously thought. When zooming in, you can zoom much further into any high res picture before it start to break up in pixels. It is much easier to pick out slightly blurr pics than on a normal 1080p monitor. Even a slight mis focus is detected on the 4k monitor. Color wise, it is much more sensitive. You'll start to see subtle hues, tint and unwanted color cast much, much easier. 1080p Videos look much better for some reason. Low resolution pics will look much crappier than before.

My hunch is, you won't regret investing on a 27" 4k monitor. It may help improve your photography a notch further as you can now see things in a different way.

Enjoy!

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,305 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
Apr 20, 2015 19:49 |  #14

I visited an Apple store and truthfully I could not see a visible difference on a 27" monitor. I'd say save your money and put it elsewhere.

bikfoto
Alexander the Wannabe
420 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Apr 21, 2015 13:36 |  #15

Even from the price perspective, Apple should soon begin to phase out the current iMacs and replace them with 5K's. Looks like that's going to be the new standard going forward.

bikfotoexternal link
Need a WEBSITE?external link
Gear & Feedback
flickrexternal link

sponsored links

3,170 views & 2 likes for this thread
Can you really notice an improvement 5K 27" imac??
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.