Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 02 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 06:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Wondering ... from Canon to Sony

advaitin
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
The Fun Coast of Florida
Jan 07, 2015 23:09 |  #61

You can see this full frame in my gallery. This is a 33 percent crop to show the detail in the eyes. With the A7S and a Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1.1

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

sponsored links
taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Calgary, AB
Jan 08, 2015 09:04 |  #62

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17370561external link
The main reason to make the switch would be for the size and weight savings imo. You also gain the EVF which can be extremely useful once you get over the short comings (slight lag, blackout after each shot). Being able to see your DOF, exposure compensation and WB all before taking the shot can be really handy. You also gain the ability to use virtually any lens out there on your camera, which is great if you're not opposed to MF (which is relatively easy to do on the a7).

haven't held a DSLR for almost 2 years now but isn't that one of the main differences between a SLR and RF camera? You'll always get a blackout as the mirror goes up?

earldieta.comexternal link - flickrexternal link - tumblrexternal link - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,764 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Jan 08, 2015 09:17 |  #63

taemo wrote in post #17372222external link
haven't held a DSLR for almost 2 years now but isn't that one of the main differences between a SLR and RF camera? You'll always get a blackout as the mirror goes up?

Yes, you get a blackout, but it's much shorter than what you get when using a mirrorless body in my experience.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

davidfarina
Goldmember
Joined May 2013
Jan 08, 2015 11:17 as a reply to EverydayGetaway's post |  #64

Well it also depends what shutterspeed youre using. Isnt there a camera which lets you see the image while exposing? I think the a7s, not?

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

advaitin
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
The Fun Coast of Florida
Jan 08, 2015 13:02 |  #65

The A7S has a silent mode which does away with shutter sound entirely and the exposure seems like a very short dimming of the view--I'm talking almost instantaneous, it's so short. And whichever camera you might play with--except the A7 II--I can't say on that one since I don't have it and will wait to see what is up the line--the shutter sound is really only a sound. You can see a shutter function, viewing it without a lens in place, but the sound is the same regardless of the duration of the exposure. Of course, there is no shutter at all in the A7S silent mode, only that slight dimming.

eddieb1
673 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Jan 08, 2015 15:14 |  #66

advaitin wrote in post #17372536external link
The A7S has a silent mode which does away with shutter sound entirely and the exposure seems like a very short dimming of the view--I'm talking almost instantaneous, it's so short. And whichever camera you might play with--except the A7 II--I can't say on that one since I don't have it and will wait to see what is up the line--the shutter sound is really only a sound. You can see a shutter function, viewing it without a lens in place, but the sound is the same regardless of the duration of the exposure. Of course, there is no shutter at all in the A7S silent mode, only that slight dimming.

I considered the same jump as the OP. Called Adorama, had everything ready to go. Then, I rethunk! And after rethunking, decided that the A7S, which I was pondering, didn't offer enough gain to make the switch. The 6D is a fabulous camera. Sharp as h*ll, fast enough for what I do, so why bother. I guess I was looking for something that still doesn't exist.

NullMind
THREAD ­ STARTER
627 posts
Joined Oct 2005
London, UK & Azores
Jan 08, 2015 17:05 |  #67

eddieb1 wrote in post #17372725external link
I considered the same jump as the OP. Called Adorama, had everything ready to go. Then, I rethunk! And after rethunking, decided that the A7S, which I was pondering, didn't offer enough gain to make the switch. The 6D is a fabulous camera. Sharp as h*ll, fast enough for what I do, so why bother. I guess I was looking for something that still doesn't exist.

I did do the move, I still have the 6D but will go for sale soon as well as most of my canon lenses

Why ?, simple, while the 6D is to me a superb camera, I must make a "decision/chore" to take it with me, it's big and heavy and quality lenses are big as well, so it ends up staying home 99% of the time

The A7R with the Voigtlander 35 1.2 for example is small enought to fit on my small ipad+wallet bag I carry daily, and gives me a heck of a performance, so now I see that instead of having a superb camera at home, I have one on my bag, as as they say, the best camera is the one you have with you.

I also find that when I am out and about in the city with the A7R, that I shoot more anonymously, people don't notice me, take the 6D + 24-70 out, and everybody notices, harder to get candid moments.

Heck, try to get a 6D out on a restaurant to take a pic of your kid, everybody frowns :)

I don't think the A7R is perfect yet, loud shutter and crap finish (loving the finish on the A7II), lacks GPS that I love (I don't but the added bulk excuse, even phones have it), but it feels like it's a great start ! Looking forward to the next version, but enjoying and taking photos with the current one :)

NullMind
Sony A7R + Zeiss 15 2.8, Zeiss 21 2.8, Zeiss 85 1.2,TS-E 17L, 100L, 135L, Canon 50 0.95, Voigtlander 35 1.2, Helios 44M-6, 580EX II, Feisol 3441S, Markins Q3T Red
Full Gear & Feedback
Please excuse the Typos, Brain and Finguers can't sync.

NullMind
THREAD ­ STARTER
627 posts
Joined Oct 2005
London, UK & Azores
Jan 08, 2015 17:10 |  #68

BrandonSi wrote in post #17350158external link
That's strange.. I have a 6D as well and I find them pretty similar, though I've spent way more time with the a7r than the 6D. It's possible I just haven't put them both in a situation yet where the 6D would outperform that a7r. Though now that you mention it, I almost never look at an image without NR applied.. they're cleaned up before I get my first look at them.

Maybe I'll go back and turn NR off on some shots and compare.

When I started to shoot with my A7R I started to look for and notice noise at high ISO (I limit at 6400), I was disapointed that I felt it was worse than the 6D

Then I looked on my old shots with the 6D and I see the noise there too, but seems I never bothered to see it before until I got the A7R .. Funny ... Sometimes you only notice things when you read about them :)

NullMind
Sony A7R + Zeiss 15 2.8, Zeiss 21 2.8, Zeiss 85 1.2,TS-E 17L, 100L, 135L, Canon 50 0.95, Voigtlander 35 1.2, Helios 44M-6, 580EX II, Feisol 3441S, Markins Q3T Red
Full Gear & Feedback
Please excuse the Typos, Brain and Finguers can't sync.

advaitin
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
The Fun Coast of Florida
Jan 08, 2015 17:33 as a reply to eddieb1's post |  #69

With the interchangeable adapters, I didn't change or switch, I added to my collection. Different tools for different purposes.

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
Joined Sep 2004
Chicago
Jan 08, 2015 17:43 |  #70

advaitin wrote in post #17372900external link
With the interchangeable adapters, I didn't change or switch, I added to my collection. Different tools for different purposes.

Same here.. I love (LOVE!) my a7R, but I don't think I can ever ditch the dSLR. a7R is for fun, Canon gear is for business.

[ www (external link)ยท flickr (external link)]

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,764 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Jan 08, 2015 18:35 |  #71

NullMind wrote in post #17372868external link
I did do the move, I still have the 6D but will go for sale soon as well as most of my canon lenses

Why ?, simple, while the 6D is to me a superb camera, I must make a "decision/chore" to take it with me, it's big and heavy and quality lenses are big as well, so it ends up staying home 99% of the time

The A7R with the Voigtlander 35 1.2 for example is small enought to fit on my small ipad+wallet bag I carry daily, and gives me a heck of a performance, so now I see that instead of having a superb camera at home, I have one on my bag, as as they say, the best camera is the one you have with you.

I also find that when I am out and about in the city with the A7R, that I shoot more anonymously, people don't notice me, take the 6D + 24-70 out, and everybody notices, harder to get candid moments.

Heck, try to get a 6D out on a restaurant to take a pic of your kid, everybody frowns :)

I don't think the A7R is perfect yet, loud shutter and crap finish (loving the finish on the A7II), lacks GPS that I love (I don't but the added bulk excuse, even phones have it), but it feels like it's a great start ! Looking forward to the next version, but enjoying and taking photos with the current one :)

Amen. As I type this I'm standing in line at Chipotle with my a7R and Olympus PEN F 38mm slung over my shoulder, nobody's even given it a second glance, had it been a DSLR many people would be wondering why I had it and giving me weird looks (spoken from experience).

NullMind wrote in post #17372881external link
When I started to shoot with my A7R I started to look for and notice noise at high ISO (I limit at 6400), I was disapointed that I felt it was worse than the 6D

Then I looked on my old shots with the 6D and I see the noise there too, but seems I never bothered to see it before until I got the A7R .. Funny ... Sometimes you only notice things when you read about them :)

It's not the noise of the a7R ISO that bugs me, it's the muted colors, color casts and random color artifacts, never had any of those with the 6D.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

davidfarina
Goldmember
Joined May 2013
Jan 09, 2015 08:42 |  #72

advaitin wrote in post #17372900external link

Same here. I wanted to replace my 6D but i think its better to keep both. I will see if i use the 6D enough in a few months. If yes, ill keep it if not ill sell it with my 16-35, 135L and 70-300 and get me some fe lenses to replace (16-35, 55, 70-200)

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

sponsored links

10,425 views & 1 like for this thread
Wondering ... from Canon to Sony
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.