Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 06 Jan 2015 (Tuesday) 06:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A 550EX - a touch of nostalga

agv8or
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
Midwest
Jan 08, 2015 18:08 |  #16

LincsRP wrote in post #17372797external link
Oh. So in 1998 did you have the Phottix Odins? Did you have PW or maybe Yongnuo?

Just a thought ...

Back when I first started using the 550EX and the Canon Optical Wireless system I thought they were better than sliced bread. As Canon introduced their 580EX and 430EX series of Speedlites I sold off my 420EX and some of my 550EX and upgraded to the newer Speedlites which I have continued to do to this day as new technology is introduced. The Radio Popper PXs and Odins were not available then or I would have bought them such as I did when they were finally introduced. Wouldn't have been great if all this technology existed back in 1998? It would have saved me a lot of money continually upgrading.

Rand

Gear

agv8or
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
Midwest
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by agv8or. 3 edits done in total.
Jan 08, 2015 18:57 |  #17

Moppie wrote in post #17372925external link
If your going to bash a product in a thread where people are being nostalgic about it, at least get your facts right.

The Radio Popper system took the Canon optical wireless system and translated into a radio signal, then back into an optical signal.
The Phottix Odin and Yongnuo systems work like the Canon RX system do, they take the ETTL signal normally passed directly between the flash to the camera through the hot shoe, and turn it into a radio signal.
As far as the camera and flash are concerned, the flash is still operating on the cameras hot shoe, even if it isn't.

Then they add extra features to it, like groups and different channels.

The Phottix Odin takes a very old, outdated flash like the 550EX and gives it the same functionality and usability for off camera work as the new 600EX-RT.

I guess I should have just kept my opinions to myself or at the least kept my comment brief and too the point that "I do not feel a touch of nostalga for the 550EX because I have moved onto newer and arguably better technology". So if my explaining as to why I do not feel the same nostalga as others in this thread is considered bashing then my appologies. I was rather found of my 550EXs and all the other EX series Speedlites I have owned over the years back when I was using them just as I am somewhat found of my 600EX-RTs today even though I have stated numerous times that they could be better as well.

I know exactly how the Radio Popper PX system works and I think you know exactly what I ment when I said that after buying the RP PXs that I never used the wireless optical system again. For those that maybe need clarification, I never used the Canon wireless optical system as a stand alone, only system for any wireless operation after buying the RP PX and Phottix Odins. Hopefully that clears up any misunderstandings.

Now you have gone and made me feel bad that I do not share the same nostalga that others feel and I feel even worse thinking that my explaination of why I do not feel the same nostalga is considered bashing. In its day the 550EX was the latest and greatest that technology had to offer and back then I enjoyed using them. Today the 600EX-RT is arguably the latest and greatest with more to offer than the 550EX. I guess I am always looking forward rather than looking back.

Next time will someone please state that a thread is only open to like minded opinions so that I do not offend any one with mine!

Rand

Gear

draderusa
317 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Missouri, US
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by draderusa.
Jan 08, 2015 19:30 as a reply to agv8or's post |  #18

I didn't consider your comments as bashing. One thing I value in this forum is that everyone can express their own opinions as long as they don't personally attack another member. Equipment doesn't have feelings so in my opinion the bashing comment seems a bit excessive. You were not insisting others agree with your opinion, just stating your own.

And since the subject of getting our facts straight was brought up; radio triggers attached to old flash units don't turn them into the equivalent of the 2 way radio communication between remote flash and camera as embodied in Canon's RT flash control protocol. None of my older flash units will tell the camera when they are recycled fully. ;-)a

I remember my old Canon FT-b film SLR and my Canon A1 very fondly but I wouldn't trade a single feature available to us in current technology for a return to such equipment.

Just stating one man's opinion. No bashing please. :-D

Dave
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS T4i -- EFS 18-135 STM, EFS 10-22 USM, EF 40 f2.8 STM, EF 50 f1.4, 600EX-RT (3), YN-E3-RT, AD-360, FT16 (2), YN560II, YN622C (4), YN622C-TX

LincsRP
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Jan 09, 2015 05:48 |  #19

agv8or wrote in post #17373046external link
Now you have gone and made me feel bad that I do not share the same nostalga that others feel and I feel even worse thinking that my explaination of why I do not feel the same nostalga is considered bashing. In its day the 550EX was the latest and greatest that technology had to offer and back then I enjoyed using them. Today the 600EX-RT is arguably the latest and greatest with more to offer than the 550EX. I guess I am always looking forward rather than looking back.

Next time will someone please state that a thread is only open to like minded opinions so that I do not offend any one with mine!

This thread is only open to like-minded opinions ... just joking :-D

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

2,853 views & 2 likes for this thread
A 550EX - a touch of nostalga
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.