Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 10 Jan 2015 (Saturday) 10:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Is bird photography the hardest?

bbarnett51
286 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Little Rock
Jan 10, 2015 10:55 |  #1

I have a love hate with birding. First of all I'm not that good. I love watching birds especially birds of prey. However my keeper rate is LOW!!! Mammals, scenery, even large birds seem like a breeze compared to BIF and small birds.

Do y'all think there are any others forms of photography that are as challenging?

Canon 7D, Sigma BigmOS. various canon and sigma lenses, Speedlite 430EX ii, Promaster SystemPRO 2n tripod/Manfrotto Joystick Head. Delkin Compact Flash Cards.

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Jan 10, 2015 11:00 |  #2

Each photography genre has its own challenges. As you have discovered, the small size, speed, and unwillingness to let humans get close are the major hindrances of bird photography. As for myself, I have no hesitancy going out to photograph birds as compared to the even more challenging genre that is characterized by the subject's expectation of being portrayed with more beauty than natural gifts may provide: the bride. ;)

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Jan 10, 2015 16:11 |  #3

Birds are tough, they have such small details with more details. it takes a ton of practise to get good at birds and I don't think you ever stop learning

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

mikeivan
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
houston
Post has been edited over 3 years ago by mikeivan.
Jan 10, 2015 17:22 |  #4

Difficult, yep, but the hardest, I dunno. Landscapes seem more difficult to me and I don't really try them much. I mean it has all been shot, so how do you get a "new" image. With birds, the unexpected almost always happens, that is part of the attraction for me. A famous and successful bird photographer and a wonderful teacher, told me, after one of his seminars: "Mike, there isn't any secret to taking a great bird photograph, you just have to get everything right". I have yet to accomplish that, but I have come close a few times, that's what keeps me going. I have found that traveling to a new location can be a very invigorating experience, as was my recent first trip to Bosque del Apache NWR. This spring I am going to take my first trip to Big Bend NP. I mean, even High Island can go stale after ten spring migrations. Just a thot, try a new spot, one you have never visited. ;-)a

This is what I mean when I say "UNEXPECTED"

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

MIKEIVAN

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Jan 10, 2015 17:49 |  #5

I would much, much rather take BIF photos that to try to take photos of infants and kids. To me there is a skill to getting kids to be in the right position to photograph that you either have or you don't.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

teekay
Goldmember
2,719 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Jan 10, 2015 18:08 |  #6

mikeivan wrote in post #17376038external link
...This is what I mean when I say "UNEXPECTED"

A fine illustration of the little known reason that geese and other birds prefer to fly in a "V" formation rather than line astern;-)a

Duane ­ N
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
Chesapeake, VA USA
Jan 10, 2015 19:05 |  #7

I think photographing people is harder because they are able to talk and complain a lot. :rolleyes:

www.3rdicreations.comexternal link

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Post has been edited over 3 years ago by Pondrader.
Jan 10, 2015 19:27 |  #8

O Duane I totally agree, but for different reasons

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

alliben
Joined Apr 2011
Jan 10, 2015 21:00 |  #9

Astro is pretty tough.

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
Joined Jan 2013
Out of the pack
Post has been last edited over 3 years ago by Reservoir Dog. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 10, 2015 22:21 |  #10

I'll put young kids and little birds at the same level of difficulties > The masochism's level :-P

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

rwingsfan
Joined Dec 2014
Central Iowa
Jan 11, 2015 20:07 |  #11

For me I find bird and bif photography very easy because no matter the results of my shots I totally enjoy being in their company. If I get a good shot great if not oh well I am outdoors, total win.

A hour outdoors is better than a day spent indoors.

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
Joined Jan 2013
Out of the pack
Post has been edited over 3 years ago by Reservoir Dog.
Jan 11, 2015 20:14 |  #12

rwingsfan wrote in post #17377953external link
For me I find bird and bif photography very easy because no matter the results of my shots I totally enjoy being in their company. If I get a good shot great if not oh well I am outdoors, total win.

I do agree, whatever result > it's an enjoyment, we got what we want, it's fine, we do not it's fine too :-P

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006
LA
Jan 11, 2015 20:21 |  #13

Anything that you like, is the easiest and you know the rest.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

AlFooteIII
Joined Jul 2013
New York City
Jan 11, 2015 20:23 |  #14

joedlh wrote in post #17375484external link
the small size, speed, and unwillingness to let humans get close are the major hindrances of bird photography. ;)

Sounds like the challenges of the Hollywood paparazzi, too! ;)

Specializing in Theatrical Photography. See my work at:
www.alfoote3photograph​y.com/external link
www.facebook.com/alfoo​te3photographyexternal link

primeone
Joined Nov 2009
Israel
Jan 12, 2015 00:05 |  #15

I started bird photography after coming back from my honeymoon in Kruger Park, S.A.

Back home, I looked around and didn't see any lions or elephants to take pictures of...

So bird photography is easier than big mammal photography, if only because I have some in the area!

:-)

Canon EOS 7D, EOS 80D | Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

sponsored links

4,781 views & 11 likes for this thread
Is bird photography the hardest?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.