Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds
Thread started 01 Feb 2010 (Monday) 19:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Behind the scene at L&D 14

JohnKS
68 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Hoffman Estates, Il
Jan 05, 2015 14:07 |  #1951

Chris wrote in post #17367353external link
Glad you were able to make it out this year. It is a real adventure to watch these birds. I'm making my plans now for a few trips out there, but I can be picky about which days I pick. Remember, afternoon sun and winds out of the west make for the best shooting experience at L&D 14.

Chris,

Thanks. Yep the forecast for last Friday was sunny at L & D 14. Unfortunately it was hazy too. The winds were fairly calm that day and it did make it comfortable to stand outside. I contemplated bringing my ice fishing clothing but decided against it and didn't need it. I think now that I have experienced L & D 14 I will start at the Rock River in the morning the next time out. I believe all very doable for one day. I hope to get back out there before the end of the month while I have my week days off for now. I can only imagine how crowded it is on a weekend. Thanks again for your help, last year on Fred Miranda, and for your tips above.

John

sponsored links
dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2011
Illinois
Jan 06, 2015 09:13 |  #1952

knak wrote in post #17367025external link
Just a note for something interesting to look for - A friend was out in Rock Island this week and ran into the team from National Geograpic doing video for a special on Eagles.

Bald Eagle days this coming weekend in Rock Island at the QCCA Expo Center. Maybe it has something to do with that. I may bring the family to see what it's all about.

Chris
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
Algonquin, IL
Jan 09, 2015 13:00 |  #1953

Heading out there tomorrow. Anyone else going?

Chris

70D | 24-70 2.8 | 400 5.6 | 580 EXII | 2X Yongnuo 622C |

JohnKS
68 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Hoffman Estates, Il
Jan 09, 2015 13:31 |  #1954

Chris wrote in post #17374098external link
Heading out there tomorrow. Anyone else going?

Well, I'm thinking about it. I'll take a look at the updated forecast later this afternoon. Sun and SW winds sound promising. Perhaps it's time to break out my cold weather fishing gear for the 14 degree temps. I believe a gentleman from Woodstock on the Fred Miranda claimed he was going to meet up with Larry Williams and his chili lunch.

Chris
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
Algonquin, IL
Jan 09, 2015 14:18 |  #1955

I'm planning on going to Sterling Falls in the morning for an hour or so and then heading over to the dam.

Chris

SteveJa
Goldmember
2,137 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Nebraska
Jan 09, 2015 18:24 |  #1956

I am going to be making the trip this weekend.... Should be there 10-11am. If it is really good and worth another day, I might stay over night for Sunday too. See you all there tomorrow.

Zenfolioexternal link
Flickrexternal link
FineArtAmericaexternal link

JohnKS
68 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Hoffman Estates, Il
Jan 09, 2015 23:17 |  #1957

JohnKS wrote in post #17374152external link
Well, I'm thinking about it. I'll take a look at the updated forecast later this afternoon. Sun and SW winds sound promising. Perhaps it's time to break out my cold weather fishing gear for the 14 degree temps. I believe a gentleman from Woodstock on the Fred Miranda claimed he was going to meet up with Larry Williams and his chili lunch.

Last minute car trouble. Not going to make it tomorrow.

Jelloneck
Joined Nov 2010
Raleigh, NC
Jan 09, 2015 23:45 |  #1958

JohnKS wrote in post #17374939external link
Last minute car trouble. Not going to make it tomorrow.

That was my excuse this week too! Hopefully gonna get a new battery tomorrow and make it out either Sunday or sometime during the week. Look forward to seeing some new pictures!

Gear List/Feedback |Instagram (external link)|

rwingsfan
Joined Dec 2014
Central Iowa
Jan 09, 2015 23:54 |  #1959

Maybe I am missing something in this thread, but that does not look fun at all. Standing in line with a hundred other people is the LAST thing I would want to do when shooting eagles, or anything else for that matter. I sure am glad I can go to several good spots and never see another photographer, but I like being solitary anyway :)

A hour outdoors is better than a day spent indoors.

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2011
Illinois
Jan 10, 2015 15:48 |  #1960

Quite the activity today. They flew so close you could pet them. ;)

Chris
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
Algonquin, IL
Jan 10, 2015 16:40 |  #1961

Didn't get out there until 1:00 and it was completely overcast. Lighting was so poor I only stayed for an hour

Chris

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2011
Illinois
Jan 10, 2015 17:00 |  #1962

The overcast sucked but it was sunny earlier in the day.

Here's a shot with a 400mm and no crop in post.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7565/16063333647_d71675b9bb_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qtsM​sp] (external link)Bald Eagle - L&D 14 (external link) by dan@dgrphotos.com (external link), on Flickr

JohnKS
68 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Hoffman Estates, Il
Jan 10, 2015 17:31 as a reply to dgrPhotos's post |  #1963

Nice capture there Dan. Well, did you pet any of them? Was the eagle count good? Too bad the sun didn't cooperate all day as I thought it would based on the forecast for today.

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2011
Illinois
Jan 10, 2015 17:37 |  #1964

JohnKS wrote in post #17376046external link
Nice capture there Dan. Well, did you pet any of them? Was the eagle count good? Too bad the sun didn't cooperate all day as I thought it would based on the forecast for today.

Eagle count was excellent. I filled two and a half 32GB cards in the three hours I was there.

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2011
Illinois
Jan 11, 2015 17:33 |  #1965

A quick video from today...

http://youtu.be/uFRXxr​Sa1rEexternal link

sponsored links

275,891 views & 120 likes for this thread
Behind the scene at L&D 14
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.