Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk
Thread started 10 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 06:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How to embed images from flickr so AMASS can retrieve the exif.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Levina de Ruijter. 4 edits done in total.
Dec 10, 2014 06:28 |  #1

A lot of people are having problems retrieving the exif automatically from images that are hosted on flickr. Even if you have included the exif on flickr, once you have embedded it at POTN, it is missing and AMASS cannot retrieve it. This is caused by the fact that flickr includes the exif only when you embed the "original" file, the original file being the size you uploaded to flickr. This means that if you upload an image of 2400px on the long side to flickr and you then want to post that picture here, you cannot use the original size and will need to choose another, say, Large or Medium, or any size that would be allowed on POTN. However, that means you are not embedding the original file and thus flickr strips the exif and AMASS cannot retrieve it automatically.

Also, and this is important!, make sure you choose the "Original" size and not simply the right size from the BBCode list at flickr. For images of 1280px on the long side (POTN's allowed max size now) this is not a problem as it will only be listed once as the Original size (provided you uploaded it as a 1280px image). However, a lot of people will want to add older images to their galleries that are 1024px on the long side. If you uploaded these images to flickr as 1024px with the exif included and posted them here, at POTN, but AMASS cannot retrieve the meta data, you need to check what size you embedded here because flickr's "Large" size happens to also be 1024px on the long side and so chances are you picked that size and not the Original size. Here is what I mean:

This is an older image of mine that I uploaded to flickr as 1024px on the long side. Clicking on the BBCode gives me this:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
So you would think to just grab it and that's that. However, note that flickr's default setting is "Large" and not "Original" and this means that even though the size is correct, the exif will not be included and AMASS will not be able to retrieve it.
However, if you click open the list, you will see this:
HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
As you can see, my downsized 1024px image is listed twice: once as "Original 1024x699" and once as "Large 1024x699". The Large 1024x699 will strip the exif. The Original 1024x699 will include the exif. So it's not just size that matters here, it is what flickr decides is the original and it is that original that you need. Anything else and AMASS will not be able to grab the code because flickr has stripped it.

One other thing to realise is that flickr will protect your "original" images, no matter how you set your preferences in flickr's settings. This means that if you use the Fetch tool it will work, but it will download flickr's "Large" size at best and not the "Original" size and that means that using the Fetch tool with flickr, AMASS will not be able to retrieve meta data. I have tested every possible way that I could think of, played with flickr's settings and in the end the only way that I was able to retrieve meta data automatically from flickr is to manually grab the BBCode for the "Original" size and paste it here at POTN.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Sometimes AMASS cannot retrieve the lens. This will often happen when an extender was used. My own experience is that with some cameras (like my old 40D with a Kenko 1.4x) AMASS retrieves the lens without any problems. With other cameras (like my 1DIIn with a Kenko 1.4x) AMASS cannot retrieve the lens.

EDIT: The FETCH tool now works with flickr! For this you simply go to the photo page of the photo you want to embed, copy the URL and paste it in FETCH. It will embed only the 1024px size (which flickr calls "Large"), but it will retrieve the exif now. Which is a very nice improvement indeed! If you want your images to be 1280px wide, you still need to copy/paste the BBCode yourself, like I explained above.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Pat ­ Forster
Joined Nov 2006
Lake Stevens, Washington
Dec 27, 2014 15:53 |  #2

THANKS! PAT :-)

Patrick Forster

sirquack
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Dec 31, 2014 13:14 |  #3

This is great information. Thanks for sharing.

Name is Ron.
Camera Bodies - T3i/(6D/7D2)-Gripped : Light - Yongnuo 565 EX/Mettle 600 Strobe
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Flickr (external link)
Edit photos as needed

flowrider
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
Dec 31, 2014 14:07 |  #4

Just to add that I host my photos on my own smugmug site and I usually upload to 1200px for sharing. If I embed from there AMASS will also pull the exit data.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Dec 31, 2014 14:35 |  #5

flowrider wrote in post #17359338external link
Just to add that I host my photos on my own smugmug site and I usually upload to 1200px for sharing. If I embed from there AMASS will also pull the exit data.

I know that a great many hosting sites do what flickr does, i.e. only include the exif when the "original" file is embedded. My own site, ipernity, does the same. But are you saying that when you upload a 1200px image to smugmug and embed that "original" size here, it still strips the exif?

Levina

johnmaclean
Joined Jul 2013
Bridgenorth Ontario, Canada
Dec 31, 2014 15:58 |  #6

Thanks very much. I was baffled as to why the information was included in the images I posted.

JVthePT
Goldmember
Joined May 2012
SE Iowa
Jan 11, 2015 08:15 |  #7

So, when uploading pics to flickr, I cannot use the original file size? I have to upload 1280px size to flickr in order for this to work?

6D & 7D mark II - Canon 16-35 f/4 IS L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L, Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II L, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS II, Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 100 f/2.8 USM macro, Canon EF 1.4x III
flickr (external link)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
Joined Jan 2013
Out of the pack
Jan 11, 2015 08:23 |  #8

JVthePT wrote in post #17376895external link
So, when uploading pics to flickr, I cannot use the original file size? I have to upload 1280px size to flickr in order for this to work?

No need, you can embed the original whatever size it is, AMASS/POTN will automatically resize it at the good size on POTN as long as it does not "weigh' more than 10MB

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Levina de Ruijter. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 11, 2015 08:45 |  #9

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17376913 (external link)
JVthePT wrote in post #17376895 (external link)

No need, you can embed the original whatever size it is, AMASS/POTN will automatically resize it at the good size on POTN as long as it does not "weigh' more than 10MB

This is not correct. Embedded images cannot exceed 1280px on the long side and have to be less than 2.5MB in size. See the Image Posting Rules here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/imagerul​es.php
Uploaded images (hosted by forum server) however will be resized.

So yes, when uploading pics to flickr, you cannot use the original file size if you want AMASS to retrieve the exif data automatically. You can of course fill in the exif data manually.

Levina

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
Joined Jan 2013
Out of the pack
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Reservoir Dog. 3 edits done in total.
Jan 11, 2015 09:21 |  #10

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17376939 (external link)
This is not correct. Embedded images cannot exceed 1280px on the long side and be less than 2.5MB in size. See the Image Posting Rules here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/imagerul​es.php
Uploaded images (hosted by forum server) however will be resized.

So yes, when uploading pics to flickr, you cannot use the original file size if you want AMASS to retrieve the exif data automatically. You can of course fill in the exif data manually.

So why it work very well when i fetch a picture like this one ...
2024 pixels wide on 500px become 1280px wide on POTN :-)
For me it means that POTN when you use the function "Fetch" resize the picture too, exactly like when you upload, no ? ;)

IMAGE: https://ppcdn.500px.org/95004481/ef3ef636929063fce913c19f020fc0be7f2cf9cb/5.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://500px.com/photo​/95004481/] (external link)
The Worm Hunter (external link) by Patrice Laborda (external link) on 500px

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Mozes
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Holland
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Mozes.
Jan 11, 2015 09:42 |  #11

just remove everything before and after the img tags

[URL=https://flic.kr/p​/pGvnu1][IMG]https://f​arm4.staticflickr.com/​3947/15554596020_cec3c​fa1d2_o.jpg[/IMG][/URL​][URL=https://flic.kr/​p/pGvnu1]MR9W4240[/URL​] by [URL=https://www.flick​r.com/people/60319486@​N07/]sportplaatje.nl[/​URL], on Flickr
example
[IMG]https://farm4.sta​ticflickr.com/3947/155​54596020_cec3cfa1d2_o.​jpg[/IMG]

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3947/15554596020_cec3cfa1d2_o.jpg

What Levina says is right, when used the large bbcode it dont work, Me bad :oops:

*Nikon D3s * Nikon D7100 * 18-105mm kitlens * Tamron AF SP 90 mm f/2.8 VC USD Macro * Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 SP Di VC USD *
Sportplaatje (external link) I flickriver (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Levina de Ruijter.
Jan 11, 2015 09:43 |  #12

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17376982 (external link)
So why it work very well when i fetch a picture like this one ...
2024 pixels wide on 500px become 1280px wide on POTN ;)
For me it means that POTN when you use the function "Fetch" resize the picture too, exactly like when you upload ;)

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://500px.com/photo​/95004481/] (external link)
The Worm Hunter (external link) by Patrice Laborda (external link) on 500px

With the Fetch tool AMASS retrieves the size that is allowed (and available - this also depends on your preferences on the hosting site) and is in fact not resizing anything. Note that your picture is not 1280px on the long side but 1170px.

Levina

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
Joined Jan 2013
Out of the pack
Jan 11, 2015 09:49 |  #13

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17377016external link
With the Fetch tool AMASS retrieves the size that is allowed (and available - this also depends on your preferences on the hosting site) and is in fact not resizing anything. Note that your picture is not 1280px on the long side but 1170px.

Oh ok, I thought AMASS was also resizing it, in fact i was a kind of lucky with 500px :lol: :-P

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Levina de Ruijter. 3 edits done in total.
Jan 11, 2015 09:52 |  #14

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17377026 (external link)
Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17377016 (external link)

Oh ok, I thought AMASS was also resizing it, in fact i was a kind of lucky with 500px :lol: :-P

Yes, lucky indeed, because 500px clearly does better with the Fetch tool than my own site ipernity or flickr. :-)

Here's what the Fetch tool gives me with ipernity. And of course AMASS can't retrieve the exif either... :rolleyes: :-x

IMAGE: http://cdn.ipernity.com/200/93/22/36589322.87373a5d.500.jpg?r2
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.ipernity.co​m/doc/288477/36589322] (external link)
WWPW: My forum's weekly challenge (external link) by Levina de Ruijter on ipernity

Levina

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
Joined Jan 2013
Out of the pack
Jan 11, 2015 10:05 |  #15

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17377030 (external link)
Yes, lucky indeed, because 500px clearly does better with the Fetch tool than my own site ipernity or flickr. :-)

Here's what the Fetch tool gives me with ipernity. And of course AMASS can't retrieve the exif either... :rolleyes: :-x

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.ipernity.co​m/doc/288477/36589322] (external link)
WWPW: My forum's weekly challenge (external link) by Levina de Ruijter on ipernity

Oh yes :eek: , it's very little, and no exif so you should enter all manually :cry: :-(

sponsored links

12,332 views & 5 likes for this thread
How to embed images from flickr so AMASS can retrieve the exif.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.