Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 05 Jan 2015 (Monday) 19:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Markins Q3TRQ v Really Right Stuff BH-30

El ­ Pedro
Joined Sep 2012
Australia
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by El Pedro.
Jan 05, 2015 19:38 |  #1

After lugging my current tripod (GT3542LS/RRS BH55) up a mountain this week I've decided to get myself a second (lighter) tripod for the more challenging treks.

I've just ordered a set of Gitzo GT1542T legs and am looking for a ballhead to match.

I've been happy with the bigger RRS model but the problem living in Australia is the postage from RRS is quite expensive. That combined with the weaker Aussie dollar I can land the BH-30 for around AU$410.

I can get the Markins on eBay for AU$340.

They both weigh about the same but the Markins has a bigger ball and is rated for more weight (I know it's not a great way to compare).

Has anyone got any experience with either of these heads? Would love some feedback, particularly on how the Markins lever release plays with RRS plates.

Need it to support 1DX with either 16-35 or 24-70 sitting on a RRS L-bracket.

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010
Hong Kong
Jan 05, 2015 20:22 |  #2

I haven't tried the BH-30, but I have tried the Q3T. I didn't like the Q3T, it seemed less smooth, less refined, and I hated the controls. Best way would be if you could try one out at a shop first before buying either of them.

-Tom
Flickr
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

El ­ Pedro
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2012
Australia
Jan 05, 2015 21:02 as a reply to Sirrith's post |  #3

That would be ideal but I don't think any brick and mortar stores stock them in Australia. Most of the stores are filled with Manfrotto gear along with cheaper alternatives.

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Jan 05, 2015 21:16 |  #4

i have two friends that have the markins -Q3-T and they have said the same thing,they do not like the feel of the controls and drag on this ballhead,one guy returned his and got the M-20 and is vary happy with it,i have never had the BH-30 but if its any thing like there BH-55 of witch i own you couldn't ask for any smother feeling controls in a ballhead,see if a local shop will let you try one for feel before you order one,wish you good luck.

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

El ­ Pedro
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2012
Australia
Jan 05, 2015 22:01 |  #5

Not looking good for the Markins. The M-20 is a little heavier so no good for what I'm after. There isn't much feedback around on the BH-30.

Like I said above there's no chance to have a play first as no one in Australia stocks anything much other than Manfrotto, Gitzo and a bunch of cheaper brands.

El ­ Pedro
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2012
Australia
Jan 06, 2015 00:14 as a reply to El Pedro's post |  #6

Something else I just came across. Anyone got any experience with Sunwayfoto? FB-36ii fits the profile and is very well priced too.

http://www.ebay.com.au ...isers&hash=item4d28​e21a9bexternal link

peter_n
Goldmember
2,350 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Boston, MA
Jan 06, 2015 08:50 |  #7

For a 1542T you do need a small ballhead like the Markins Q3T. That ballhead was actually designed for the Gitzo traveler range and it's popular on this board, I've used three of them myself. They can be quirky, especially in cold weather and I had my own issues with them but I thought they were beautifully made and I loved the controls and the way they worked.

You ask in particular about the Markins clamp working with your RRS plate and I never had any issues with this combination, however the Arca-Swiss type of connection doesn't have a dimensional standard that every manufacturer adheres to. According to Jobo (Canadian manufacturer) the SE Asian companies make clamps and plates that are a wee bit thinner than the American manufacturers, and the dovetail angle is also very very slightly different.

These differences are minute and probably only come into play with heavy equipment, but nevertheless it's something to consider. To reiterate I've never had an issue with my Markins clamps and RRS plates but then I don't have massive lenses.

I can't remember if the 1542T has foldback legs or not, but if you're still looking for a small ballhead take a look at the Sirui range like the K-20X, they are really decent value ballheads, the best I've seen in the last couple of years. I'm now using an Acratech head on my travel tripod and I like it; it has built-in leveling capability and requires essentially no maintenance because of the open design. They are also made in America though, and unfortunately they're expensive.

~Peter

El ­ Pedro
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2012
Australia
Jan 06, 2015 11:07 as a reply to peter_n's post |  #8

Thanks for the reply Peter. Some good options there. I hadn't looked at the Acratech before, quite a unique design.

In the end I decided to stick with RRS, I've been happy with the BH55 and I know the plates will all fit no problems.

Got stung a but extra on the shipping though so it ended up costing almost AU$500 to get it to Australia. It would be great if RRS would start selling through B & H, they have $20 international shipping.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,350 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Boston, MA
Jan 06, 2015 11:53 |  #9

Yep, you know you're getting something that works well and will be durable but that's really expensive! I'm currently trying out a BH-55 on a very large tripod (currently using an Arca-Swiss Z1) and it appears to be bulletproof.

Unfortunately RRS only sell out of their factory and they'd probably be even more expensive if they sold out of distributors. Some people in the UK have found to their cost that it's extremely expensive if something goes wrong with a RRS product - you have to ship it back to California then maybe deal with customs who want to charge import duty again, etc... If I was back in the UK I don't think I'd risk a RRS tripod, a ballhead yes but probably not a tripod.

Good luck with your BH-30!

~Peter

El ­ Pedro
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2012
Australia
Jan 06, 2015 14:40 as a reply to peter_n's post |  #10

That's why I use Gitzo legs. We can get them local at comparable prices with local warranty. (No cashbacks like you guys have atm though!)

I could have save $40 on postage but it estimated the shipping time at 4-5 weeks. I'm way to impatient for that.

Nortonski
Joined Oct 2013
Good ole Blighty
Jan 06, 2015 15:06 |  #11

I have the same legs, but I went with the BH-40 which is great.

Actually thinking about the 30 myself for my Gitzo monopod or when I need to travel a little lighter.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Jan 06, 2015 19:56 |  #12

Just posted this on another thread but it might be useful? It is small , light, cheap and makes my 3 series Gitzos look a bit bendy....

Just my 2p (cents)! For about 4/5 years I have been using a Tiopo RS3 ball head and absolutely love it. It is small, light, compact, dirt cheap, VERY smooth in operation and will hold anything Canon EOS that is currently in production, yes it handles my Canon 800mm F5.6 L IS and 1DX quite happily! Well enough to prove that my Gitzo tripods are a bit bendy! Sounds perfect? Well not quite. Firstly it does not have a QR clamp - this can be cured by removing the top plate and simply attaching an Arca style QR Clamp. I use the Triopo GC 13-50 - works just fine. Secondly, and probably more importantly, this head has only one control. Namely a single lever that sets/locks everything. I rather like this as it allows very quick adjustment with NO creep regardless of the lens/camera used, however it is all or nothing so you need to keep one hand on the camera! This head is not for everyone but for me it is as good as it gets, ball heads costing 10 times the price have not impressed me due to their rough operation and poor lockup. For reference I paid 40GBP for the head and QR clamp. Note how far the Canon 600 F4 L IS is out of balance on the second image, this required a slight touch on the locking lever - I mean slight! [ADD TO YOUR GALLERY / EDIT METADATA] IMAGE HOSTED BY FORUM SERVER (706610) [ADD TO YOUR GALLERY / EDIT METADATA] photo 2PERMALINK TO THIS IMAGE IM

Read more at: http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=17​369725

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

El ­ Pedro
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2012
Australia
Jan 12, 2015 21:21 |  #13

Super fast shipping from RRS, the ball head showed up last Friday. The legs got delivered today. The combo looks like it will work really well together, just need a break in the rain to head out and see how it goes.

A couple shots of the happy family.

Gitzo GT3542LS with RRS BH-55 - Canon 500mm f/4 IS on a Wimberley Sidekick

Gitzo GT1542T with RRS BH-30 - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 is ii

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

jlt23
401 posts
Joined May 2010
Tustin, CA
Jan 13, 2015 01:36 |  #14

Very nice setups. I love RRS products.

James

sponsored links

6,035 views & 0 likes for this thread
Markins Q3TRQ v Really Right Stuff BH-30
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.