Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 15 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 19:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

It's Already 2AM: 35th Edition... Welcome to The Blue Oyster Bar.

this thread is locked
Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,646 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Jan 16, 2015 09:04 |  #7681

vipergts831 wrote in post #17385227 (external link)
Well will be having my cousins build this out tomorrow :) Taking pictures will be my job :lol:

Why did you choose a Crucial ssd? I'm trying to figure out what makes for a good one. I bought a couple Kingston ones for my work box and so far they are pretty sweet.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

sponsored links
dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2011
Illinois
Jan 16, 2015 09:06 |  #7682

vipergts831 wrote in post #17385227 (external link)
Well will be having my cousins build this out tomorrow :) Taking pictures will be my job :lol:

Cool...

One of my first jobs in IT was to put these systems together and a majority of them were gaming systems. I had fun doing it but hated the fact that they weren't mine. :lol:

Enjoy it!

vipergts831
I had the skinny Sony Fanboy over . . .
43,895 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX
Jan 16, 2015 09:06 |  #7683

Chet wrote in post #17385249external link
Why did you choose a Crucial ssd? I'm trying to figure out what makes for a good one. I bought a couple Kingston ones for my work box and so far they are pretty sweet.

Based on reviews for the size and price point i was looking at. :)

-Omar- Flickrexternal link , 5pxexternal link
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

vipergts831
43,895 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by vipergts831.
Jan 16, 2015 09:10 |  #7684

dgrPhotos wrote in post #17385255external link
Cool...

One of my first jobs in IT was to put these systems together and a majority of them were gaming systems. I had fun doing it but hated the fact that they weren't mine. :lol:

Enjoy it!

Thanks Dan! When i told my cousins i was buying up all the pieces they asked if they could build it. Like you they have a lot of fun putting them together. I used to do it but i dont mind sitting back and taking pictures of them going at it :)

Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2011
Illinois
Jan 16, 2015 09:21 |  #7685

vipergts831 wrote in post #17385262external link
Thanks Dan! When i told my cousins i was buying up all the pieces they asked if they could build it. Like you they have a lot of fun putting them together. I used to do it but i dont mind sitting back and taking pictures of them going at it :)

I still get requests from family to refurb systems. Right now I have my sister's old Thinkpad but I don't think I'm going to do much in the way of hardware modifications.

vipergts831
43,895 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Jan 16, 2015 09:23 |  #7686

dgrPhotos wrote in post #17385281external link
I still get requests from family to refurb systems. Right now I have my sister's old Thinkpad but I don't think I'm going to do much in the way of hardware modifications.

Tougher to mod due to it being a laptop?

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2011
Illinois
Jan 16, 2015 09:41 |  #7687

vipergts831 wrote in post #17385285external link
Tougher to mod due to it being a laptop?

Normally you can at least upgrade hard drive and memory relatively easily. Need a gaming laptop to upgrade other parts. I got to look for some of my old pics when I was modifying laptops. Here's a boot up video of a laptop I did not too long ago:
http://youtu.be/BAUCTr​gz02Uexternal link

I even had some painted as well.

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012
Lexington Ky
Jan 16, 2015 10:02 |  #7688

My work is getting rid of four or five computers that are set to be upgraded. They are a mixed bag of ASUS, ACER, and DELL boxes, and their all probably 3-4 years old. Some of them are giving people troubles but I think that may be either user error or a problem with our network, from what I can tell they are pretty serviceable still.

I think I have my boss talked into letting me take them since their just going to throw them out. I think I'm gunna pull em all apart and cobble the best bits together into a multimedia PC for the living room. Just something to stream netflix/youtube and spotify on, and to store a bunch of movies I have downloaded on.

Aaron
Canon 6D | 70D | Σ35 F/1.4A | Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 Di VC USD | 40 F/2.8 | 85 F/1.8 | 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 | Rokinon 14 F/2.8 | 430ex ii | YN-622C | Zoom H4N
Canon EOS M | 22 F/2 Pancake | C/Y Zeiss 50 F/1.4 t*

vipergts831
43,895 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Jan 16, 2015 10:42 |  #7689

dgrPhotos wrote in post #17385331external link
Normally you can at least upgrade hard drive and memory relatively easily. Need a gaming laptop to upgrade other parts. I got to look for some of my old pics when I was modifying laptops. Here's a boot up video of a laptop I did not too long ago:
http://youtu.be/BAUCTr​gz02Uexternal link

I even had some painted as well.

Figured that match. That is what i did with my macbook. Upgraded the RAM and the HD to SSD. Rest you cant do much especially in the apple world. Thats a quick boot up especially for the time when you built it!

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,872 posts
Joined Nov 2006
barrie ont. ca
Jan 16, 2015 18:47 |  #7690

solepatch wrote in post #17385379external link
Just something to stream netflix/youtube and spotify on, and to store a bunch of movies I have downloaded on.

have you tried Tidal HI-FI , Its main claim is that while Spotify offers 320kbps music, it will offer CD quality streaming using the “Free Lossless Audio Codec” or FLAC – ALAC (Apple AAPL -0.86% Lossless Audio Codec) is used on iPhone and other iOS devices. The specs say that you’ll get the full CD sampling rate of 44 kHz, 16bit and at a bitrate of 1411kbps.

http://www.tidalhifi.c​om/caexternal link

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

Strontium
Durr?
Joined Jun 2011
Jan 16, 2015 19:08 as a reply to vipergts831's post |  #7691

I remember replacing a burned out CFL in my first laptop. Shops wanted $250+. Cost me $20 ($10 for the first bulb that I snapped while soldering it in, $10 for the one that I didn't snap).

I am I

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Lexington Ky
Jan 16, 2015 19:31 |  #7692

FJ LOVE wrote in post #17386113external link
have you tried Tidal HI-FI , Its main claim is that while Spotify offers 320kbps music, it will offer CD quality streaming using the “Free Lossless Audio Codec” or FLAC – ALAC (Apple AAPL -0.86% Lossless Audio Codec) is used on iPhone and other iOS devices. The specs say that you’ll get the full CD sampling rate of 44 kHz, 16bit and at a bitrate of 1411kbps.

http://www.tidalhifi.c​om/caexternal link

Just started a free trial. I'll report back with what I think, I hadn't heard of it before.

Aaron
Canon 6D | 70D | Σ35 F/1.4A | Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 Di VC USD | 40 F/2.8 | 85 F/1.8 | 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 | Rokinon 14 F/2.8 | 430ex ii | YN-622C | Zoom H4N

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Lexington Ky
Jan 18, 2015 12:44 |  #7693

Alright so I've been switching back and forth between Tidal HI-FI and Spotify whenever I've been on the computer this weekend. If you're an audiophile and have a good pream and set of speakers or headphones(I have used both with my M-Audio BX-8a monitors and Sennheiser 404 HD headphones) there is a perceptible difference in the audio quality. The music does tend to sound a little fuller and a little warmer, I believe most people will probably notice that there is generally more bass, but my roomate didn't hear any difference in the highs although I could. It isn't a huge difference however and for some songs I didn't really hear any difference at all. I also tried listening on my roomates laptop speakers, and the earbuds I use with my phone for running. I couldn't hear a difference at all, so if you don't have access to pretty good hardware I would save your money and go with Spotify.

I tend to prefer the Spotify interface for both the PC and Android versions over Tidal's. It's mostly just an aesthetic thing but functionally the biggest advantage is that it shows the songs on each album together so that you don't have to go to each album's page to see the songs from that album. I also feel like the search function on Spotify works a bit better, it is usually able to predict what it is that I'm looking for before I get the entire title or artist name typed out. I did not find this to be the case with Tidal. I have not really tried out the discovery options on Tidal but Spotify gives you a much larger list of similar artist than Tidal does.

Spotify has a slightly better selection, for big name artist both platforms have pretty much the same stuff on offer and the big omissions from Spotify seem to be consistently missing from Tidal as well. Where spotify eeks ahead here are with artist that aren't as well known, I noticed this when going through last months BIRP.fm playlist(which anyone that is into indie artist should check out) and adding the songs I like to my playlist and Spotify had noticeably more of them. Spotify also includes singles and where the artist appears on compilation albums in their discography as well which is nice.

I would love to see a social feature like what Spotify offers in Tidal, I have a lot of friends who I agree with musically and being able to see what they are listening to is amazing. I would also love to see the listen and find feature from Tidal implemented in spotify, this is similar to Shazaam where the app can listen to a song and find it in the library. Otherwise they seem to be pretty even feature wist. A feature that I am very happy to see from Spotify is the ability to download anything you want for playback when you don't have a data/internet connection. I use this daily for my commute to and from work.

The price difference is pretty massive though, with Tidal twice as expensive as Spotify I don't think I will be making the switch. For most people I think spotify is probably the way to go just because I doubt most people have the hardware needed to hear the difference, its cheaper, a little more polished, offers a slightly larger library, and if you're going to use it with mobile you will probably be turning the bit rate down so that you don't have to sell your soul to your wireless provider. It is very cool though that the option is out there, and I hope that Spotify sees this and gets motivated to offer FLAC themselves at least for offline playback.

Aaron

tonyniev
Cream of the Crop
11,239 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Las Vegas
Jan 18, 2015 12:46 |  #7694

Comet Lovejoy with Pleiades- Canon 5D2, 70-200 mm at 70 mm, iso 6400, F2.8, 20 seconds on Celestron CG5 mount

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R & A6000
Canon 5D2 & 7D

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2011
Illinois
Jan 18, 2015 15:01 |  #7695

tonyniev wrote in post #17388345external link
Comet Lovejoy with Pleiades- Canon 5D2, 70-200 mm at 70 mm, iso 6400, F2.8, 20 seconds on Celestron CG5 mount

Very cool Tony.

sponsored links

685,883 views & 405 likes for this thread
It's Already 2AM: 35th Edition... Welcome to The Blue Oyster Bar.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.