Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

sarangiman
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Seattle, WA
Jan 04, 2014 17:24 |  #2206

The blow-torch/heating method is unnecessary. All you need is to get a long rail like this:
http://amzn.com/B00F1I​D0OOexternal link

Then get a non-slip plate, e.g. an Arca-swiss type plate for a Nikon DSLR. Attach it to the rail, then attach the rail via the plate to the Markins Ball head. Orient the ball so as to drop the attached rail into the notch (for vertical shooting), tighten everything down, then grab the rail on both ends with both hands & turn counter-clockwise. The rail should provide enough torque to unscrew the quick shoe from the ballhead.

This also avoids the issue of removing the spirit level, which I was unable to do. In fact, using an Allen Key to remove the level resulted in an utter mess, as the level broke, & it's almost impossible to remove its remnants from the hole in the hotshoe (it seems to be made of epoxy or some other plastic - I've been trying to dissolve it using acetone, with limited success). I don't know if they changed the design of the level, but it is definitely *not* possible to remove it via an Allen Key with the newest Q3T...

Hope this helps.

sponsored links
rexet
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2014
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by rexet. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 28, 2014 09:49 |  #2207

Hi All,

First thank you very much for this nice review. It's not new but it helped me finding my rig.

I received the following items:

- Gitzo GT1544T (shorter column version of the 1542)
- Markins Q3i Traveler (knob release version)
- Markins PN-600 plate (for my Nikon D750)
- Gitzo GC1202T tripod bag

I am really happy with this set up.

My only dissapointement is the bag. I can manage to fit the tripod with the ballhead attached but I need to find the perfect angle and it is quite hard to close the zip, it is too tight. Since I don't want to spend 5 minutes to put the tripod in its bag I am thinking about sending it back and try the GC2202T instead. This version designed for Serie 2 provides 2cm more in lenght. My only concern is that it will be a bit loose regarding width (1,5cm larger).

Cheers from France.

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Dec 28, 2014 12:29 |  #2208

grate review and thanks for taking time to do it.

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Sacramento, CA
Jan 15, 2015 13:41 |  #2209

Amazing! Im glad this thread is still helping some folks out there!

[Gear List | Flickrexternal link | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protectionexternal link /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Reiep
Joined Oct 2009
Orléans, France / Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Jan 19, 2015 06:41 |  #2210

It indeed still helps, I've just got a GT2542T and a Q3T bullhead because of this thread. Great stuff indeed!

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Gear

jlt23
401 posts
Joined May 2010
Tustin, CA
Jan 19, 2015 13:38 |  #2211

Reiep wrote in post #17389417external link
It indeed still helps, I've just got a GT2542T and a Q3T bullhead because of this thread. Great stuff indeed!

I agree. I picked up my travel tripod setup (1541T and Q3T) because of this thread. Great review.

James

davewolfs
78 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Jun 17, 2015 09:12 |  #2212

Anyone notice that Markins has change their design.

They now use a modular clamp which can be removed via an M6 screw. So basically you can easily switch between lever, pano or knob. Unfortunately the design is not compatible with 3rd party clamps.

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Sacramento, CA
Jun 17, 2015 10:10 |  #2213

davewolfs wrote in post #17600475 (external link)
Anyone notice that Markins has change their design.

They now use a modular clamp which can be removed via an M6 screw. So basically you can easily switch between lever, pano or knob. Unfortunately the design is not compatible with 3rd party clamps.

IMAGE: http://markinsamerica.com/MA5/images/Q3TLK_High.jpg

Huh, it appears youre correct. I hadnt noticed that. Glad I have one of the older ones that allowed compatibility with RRS clamps!

[Gear List | Flickrexternal link | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protectionexternal link /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links

610,120 views & 1 like for this thread
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.