Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes
Thread started 14 Jan 2015 (Wednesday) 08:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Critique

triplethreat
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Hanover, PA
Jan 14, 2015 08:03 |  #1

Well this is my first post since the new update. Still getting used to it. I used to post a lot a few years ago but am just getting back into it.

My wife has started a food blog and i have been chosen to take the photos. :-)

This was taken with a Canon EF100mm F2.8L Macro.

ISO 400
F14
Exposure .5sec.

I did some adjusting in Lightroom. This was shot in JPEG but, i have since switched to RAW

Thanks for your help!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon T2i// Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro// Canon Nifty Fifty// Sigma 18-125 HSM// Canon 430EXII
theshortordercook.com

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,950 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jan 14, 2015 09:56 |  #2

At that size, it's overwhelming. I the viewer seem to be much closer to the food than I would be in reality. This effect, the feeling of being too close, is due to the small area shown, the high angle of view, and the composition using few areas of color (only three, and in each of them one color predominates). I think you tried too hard to get detail at the expense of other elements. Why use macro for this kind of subject?

The white balance also needs attention: pasta quite yellow, dish and cloth somewhat too blue.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

triplethreat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Hanover, PA
Jan 14, 2015 10:15 as a reply to OhLook's post |  #3

It does seem to be bigger than life. I guess in this instance i was going for the detail. I typically use one of two lenses either the 100 macro or the 50mm for a wider shot.

I have just started taking this photos for the blog and am definitely learning as I go. I like the white background but, it could use some color to break it up I think. I agree the composition does need some work.

We use the macro simply for the detail.

Canon T2i// Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro// Canon Nifty Fifty// Sigma 18-125 HSM// Canon 430EXII
theshortordercook.com

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2013
Texas
Jan 17, 2015 13:52 |  #4

Very nice detail but to me it is a bit close. I use the 100mm f/2.8 as well and trust me you will still get plenty of detail if you pull back a bit. A little bit of parsley would have gone a long way in diversifying the color palate. That said, I still like the photo.

IMAGE: http://lupo-lobo.com/photoblog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2013polenta7LL-1.jpg

As an example the above image is polenta and eggs shot with the 100mm at about four feet out.

Lupo

Mikelangelo
Goldmember
1,256 posts
Joined Nov 2005
West Chicago, United States
Jan 20, 2015 19:40 |  #5

I like that your image is bright. I have trouble with sauce like this. Trying to light it softly... the harsh specular highlights are a little too much for me. But I like the overall image. I agree it might be a little close.

I'm guessing you used a flash. It seems like the whites are a little blown out... which is probably where my problem lies... softer light (i.e. big window or reflector might solve it)

--
Photoblogexternal link
7d::17-50 f/2.8::100 Macro

1,093 views & 1 like for this thread
Critique
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.