Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes
Thread started 20 Jan 2015 (Tuesday) 23:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What's the best Food photography resources

Mikelangelo
Goldmember
1,256 posts
Joined Nov 2005
West Chicago, United States
Jan 20, 2015 23:06 |  #1

Books?
Youtube?
Videos (for purchase)?
Other photographers?

I'm a big fan of Creative Live and they've put on some really nice workshops on the subject. I'm just not willing to pay $130 a pop for them. I did watch the first one a while back with penny De Los Santos. I learned a lot from that workshop.
https://www.creativeli​ve.com ...raphy-penny-de-los-santosexternal link
https://www.creativeli​ve.com ...otography-andrew-scrivaniexternal link
https://www.creativeli​ve.com ...otography-andrew-scrivaniexternal link
https://www.creativeli​ve.com ...-todd-porter-and-diane-cuexternal link

What are you favorites?

--
Photoblogexternal link
7d::17-50 f/2.8::100 Macro

phantelope
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2008
NorCal
Jan 21, 2015 00:18 |  #2

cookbooks and magazines. Find something you like, analyze it, try to replicate it somehow. Really no need for expensive studio gear, I use cheap LED table lamps from Ikea, self made flags and diffusers (white baby socks over the light work great here) etc. And natural light close to a window. A piece of white paper as reflector if necessary, etc.

And a couple of books about food styling, they show the tricks of using hair spray and all kinds of other things you can use to make food look tasty, even if it becomes inedible doing so.

A couple of nice surfaces, old wood. plates, even newspaper (fish $ chips) etc.

Lots of fun to combine food and photography :-)

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2013
Texas
Jan 21, 2015 01:03 |  #3

Phlearn occasionally will offer a free tutorial dealing with food or lighting/photographing product (ie beer product shoot) which you can apply towards food photography.

I like Creative Live as well - check the link at the top of their page "Watch Now free" - it will bring up the current calendar with links to the current free tutorials. I have seen a couple good food related tutorials this way. You just have to be prepared to watch when they are offering it.

Also I sometimes refer people to Ree Drummond's site for inspirationexternal link .... her recipes are pretty good and her food photography is not too shabby either

Lupo

Mikelangelo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,256 posts
Joined Nov 2005
West Chicago, United States
Jan 21, 2015 09:59 |  #4

Awesome. Thanks guys!!

--
Photoblogexternal link
7d::17-50 f/2.8::100 Macro

tcphoto1
Joined Sep 2005
Madison, Ga
Jan 21, 2015 11:28 |  #5

I'd suggest that you take a little time and browse around your local bookstore in the magazine stacks. Those links were not very inspiring other than Andrew's work, I'd look at Donna Hay, Bon Appetite and Martha's magazines for beautiful images.

www.tonyclarkphoto.comexternal link
www.tcphoto.orgexternal link

1,047 views & 2 likes for this thread
What's the best Food photography resources
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.