Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 04 Jan 2015 (Sunday) 19:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Advice for starting. Am I good enough?

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Jan 23, 2015 16:16 |  #46

linnjo wrote in post #17396460external link
I would like to thank every single one of you for taking the time to answer this!

For the person who assumed I wanted a job that was easier to "deal with", that's not it at all; photography is my goal, it is what I want to do.
And since social anxiety makes me anxious in stores, schools and places with lots of people at once, I don't see why I would try to get a "regular job" in a store (or mcdonalds) just to save up some money and eventually in years from now start my own photography business. It doesn't seem logical when photography makes me less anxious and less stressed than an environment like say a grocery store. I feel safe behind my camera, I feel like photography is something I know - unlike a lot of other things.
I hope you understand what I mean. I know this is right for me, I was just wondering if I should start now, or postpone it for years until I get better.

Different country, different everything (?)
I also think the style of photography varies a bit, the photography I saw when I lived in the U.S is very different from what the people I usually see in Norway do. Both editing and posing (mostly referring to senior photography). So I have to look at what my clients want.

OhLook: A few months ago I was barely able to get out of bed, much less leaving the apartment. I am better now, and going to therapy, so don't worry. I'm pushing myself as much as I can without exhausting myself completely. ;-)a It helps seeing that other people deal with depression and anxiety and still manage to work as a photographer.

I don't know if everyone got the impression that I'm going into a full-time photography job. I'm not. I have enough money to pay rent, food and those things, I want to start slow. I was thinking about doing maybe 1-4 shoots a month to start with. Better than not doing anything at all, right? And then as my depression and anxiety gets better, I'll probably be able to do more.
Also, I don't have to start a business to be able to earn money from photography if I don't plan on earning a whole lot the first years. I just want to dip my toe into the business part of it and get some real clients I can work with. I think these things might be different depending on what country you live in too.

Flash:
I'm sure I'll figure this one out as I go. I appreciate your input and opinions, but don't tell me what I can and cannot do ;-)a

I will work on every aspect of it, and I'm pretty sure I already have some of the skills down.

Thanks again for all your answers! I've decided to just do it my own way, because listening to everyone and their grandma won't get me where I want to be :lol:

You will always be good enough if you are honest with your clients and your work. If you show clients your portfolio and explain where you are honestly then there should be no surprises and if that client books you - well you are good enough for them.

Sure you may not get Vogue as a client - but the clients you do get you will be good enough for. That should also help with anxiety. If you don't have anything to hide and are honest and put in a good faith effort you should have no anxiety about being unskilled or dishonest - since they know your skill level.

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

6,806 views & 9 likes for this thread
Advice for starting. Am I good enough?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.