Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 07 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 10:25
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: Astrotrac questions

Mark ­ Brim
285 posts
Joined Oct 2010
UK
Apr 19, 2012 14:50 |  #16

hollis_f wrote in post #14291476external link
I'm thinking about asking for one of these for my birthday in July. What's the heaviest setup you can realistically use?

Ive had a canon 400mm 2.8 L on mine and that weights 11.8 lbs. (5.370kg)....fair​ly heafty lens...not at all practical for what i wanted to do mind

5D, 7D, 30D. Sigma 30,50 1.4, Canon 70-200 f4, Sigma 10-20
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/markbrim/external link
Blog: http://http ...brimacombe.wordpres​s.com/external link

sponsored links
tutwood
87 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Apr 29, 2012 17:02 |  #17

i also am very interested in this astrotrac mount althouth the firm says it can hold 15 kgs when you put it on the manfrotto 410 geared head manfrotto dont advise 15kgs in fact i think they say 10kgs
whos right . live in the scottish borders lots of dark nights up here

tutwood
87 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Apr 29, 2012 17:07 |  #18

in fact just checked manfrotto site they advise 5kgs , so am i right in assumming that it will be the wieght of the astrotrac and anything else up to 5 kgs

thakursam
53 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Jersey City, NJ
May 16, 2012 14:02 |  #19

I went for AstroTrac this year. Its very costly thing when you consider all things you need to make it work. But the portability is the thing you want then there is nothing that can beat AstroTrac.

AstroTrac needs something to point it to Pole and then mount Camera on AstroTrac. Ball Heads or Geared Head can do it, but those are not efficient, when you need accurate polar alignment it can be pain with Photographic Geared Heads. I opted for Astrotrac Wedge, which is designed to do this.

Setting up Astrotrac is very easy and it fun, in just 10min you are ready to shoot including focusing (believe me its not as easy to focus stars with wide angle lens)

For Wide angle shots astrotrac can easily track for 5-10min, I have seen someone tracked for 20mins too !!!

So far i am not able to use it much but will be in pace soon. I have tried 200mm with simple polar alignment and 2min is not an issue.

For Higher Weight, Yes Astrotrac can work to stated capacity of 15KG but you need counter weight system, sold as add-on. People have used telescopes on it with successful results.

Checkout below blog if you have doubts what Astrotrac can do (its not mine ;) )

http://cosmicbug.wordp​ress.com/astrotrac-photography/external link

Best of Luck

Sameer Thakur
www.sameerthakur.netexternal link & www.indussky.comexternal link
Body : Canon EOS 7D, Canon EOS 1D Mark II N, Canon EOS 400D
Lenses : Canon EF 70-200 F/4 L, Tamron 17-50 F/2.8, Canon EF-S 18-55 kit, Canon EF 75-300 USM III, Nikon 28-105, Kenko 1.5x, Kenko 2x

mtbdudex
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
SE Michigan
Jun 15, 2012 08:16 as a reply to thakursam's post |  #20

[edit] saw it made a sticky/thx Peeka!

bump and solid VOTE this thread should be a sticky.

This is the best commercial solution for portable astrophotography.
I'm placing my order this weekend!
(just got my work bonus check :D )

Mike R, P.E. ...iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, AppleTV(160), MacBook
Canon: 70D, T1i + lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II / TC 1.4x 2x / 15-85 / f1.4 50 / UWA 11-16 Tokina
FEISOL tripod CT-3441S + CB-40D Ball Head, iOptron EQ tracker
My top 10 in Astrophotography. . .DIY acoustic panels (external link) . . APOD Aug-5-2011 (external link)

calypsob
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
Roanoke Virginia
Jul 20, 2012 05:26 |  #21

Ok no offense to anyone who already has an astro track but if you are that hardcore about astrophotography why not just get a real astrophotography mount? http://livinginstylene​wyork.com ...unt-w-tripod-detail-30726external link http://www.amazon.com ...5&creativeASIN=B000​FAD1O2external link These 2 mounts will hold the weight of your lens without question and the orion will find everything you need by itself after you align it to 3 stars. They are quite heavy but you probably dont need all of the counterweights even with a 400mm lens so realistically you wouldnt have to carry around much more than you already have now.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

thakursam
53 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Jersey City, NJ
Jul 23, 2012 17:22 |  #22

calypsob wrote in post #14743568external link
Ok no offense to anyone who already has an astro track but if you are that hardcore about astrophotography why not just get a real astrophotography mount? http://livinginstylene​wyork.com ...unt-w-tripod-detail-30726external link http://www.amazon.com ...5&creativeASIN=B000​FAD1O2external link These 2 mounts will hold the weight of your lens without question and the orion will find everything you need by itself after you align it to 3 stars. They are quite heavy but you probably dont need all of the counterweights even with a 400mm lens so realistically you wouldnt have to carry around much more than you already have now.

Dear calypsob,

This is exactly every Astrotrac buyer thinks of before jumping on. Once you look at price factor of Astrotrac and what it can do, you will realize that has many dis-advantages when compared to dedicated equatorial mounts.

BUT....

Astrotrac can go to places where normal mounts cant... in terms of portability, setup simplicity and quality of tracking stars !!!

The Astrotrac gives you accuracy of tracking to 5 arc seconds, you can't get that level of accuracy from mounts cheaper than 3K. and you have to manage with auto-guiding.

Most Astrotrac buyers already have feature rich equatorial mount, and they still go for astrotrac spending much more on it.

i will give you my own example, I had a Meade LXD75 with full set up for autoguiding, but due to bulk and portability issue i tend to use it very little. if you are not in US / Canada or Europe then you might know that having personal vehicle is not that common in other part of the world and that creates major portability problem with big setups.

And this is where Astrotrac comes to rescue, you can go virtually anywhere with your astrotrac and shoot from there, in just few mins of setup.

Though Astrotrac is insanely costly people buy it for only single intention "Using it more and more under stars" !!!

I hope this helps...

Sameer Thakur
www.sameerthakur.netexternal link & www.indussky.comexternal link
Body : Canon EOS 7D, Canon EOS 1D Mark II N, Canon EOS 400D
Lenses : Canon EF 70-200 F/4 L, Tamron 17-50 F/2.8, Canon EF-S 18-55 kit, Canon EF 75-300 USM III, Nikon 28-105, Kenko 1.5x, Kenko 2x

FuzzSummit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2009
Auckland, New Zealand
Jul 23, 2012 17:35 |  #23

thakursam wrote in post #14758832external link
Astrotrac can go to places where normal mounts cant... in terms of portability, setup simplicity and quality of tracking stars !!!

The Astrotrac gives you accuracy of tracking to 5 arc seconds, you can't get that level of accuracy from mounts cheaper than 3K. and you have to manage with auto-guiding.

Most Astrotrac buyers already have feature rich equatorial mount, and they still go for astrotrac spending much more on it.

This perfectly encapsulates my thoughts (which is why I started this thread). I already have the Sirius EQ-G mount (that calypsob linked in his post) set up in my backyard (yellow on the Bortle scale). But it is not portable, and I would like to travel to shoot under really dark skies -- hence my interest in the AstroTrac.

Website (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Instagram (external link) || Blog (external link) ||
Canon 6D || Canon 16-35/2.8 | Canon 35/1.4 | Canon 50/1.4 | Canon 70-200/2.8

calypsob
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
Roanoke Virginia
Jul 25, 2012 16:47 |  #24

thakursam wrote in post #14758832external link
Dear calypsob,

This is exactly every Astrotrac buyer thinks of before jumping on. Once you look at price factor of Astrotrac and what it can do, you will realize that has many dis-advantages when compared to dedicated equatorial mounts.

BUT....

i will give you my own example, I had a Meade LXD75 with full set up for autoguiding, but due to bulk and portability issue i tend to use it very little. if you are not in US / Canada or Europe then you might know that having personal vehicle is not that common in other part of the world and that creates major portability problem with big setups.

And this is where Astrotrac comes to rescue, you can go virtually anywhere with your astrotrac and shoot from there, in just few mins of setup.

Though Astrotrac is insanely costly people buy it for only single intention "Using it more and more under stars" !!!

I hope this helps...

Ok rad that makes sense I was wondering what all the fuss was about. I had now idea about the arc seconds thing that is very interesting. I think if I get more serious about wide field I will go with an astro track.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)

calypsob
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
Roanoke Virginia
Aug 27, 2012 07:03 |  #25

is this an alternative to the manfrotto junior gearhead? http://www.ebay.com ...isers&hash=item3cc9​df3954external link

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)

SimonClarkson
Joined Jun 2012
Horsham UK
Mar 22, 2014 04:11 |  #26

Hi Guys n Gal's,

I recently purchased the Astrotrac after reading and seeing what a great product it is thanks to the good folk here. However upon unboxing and setting up, I have encountered a few problems which I have managed to fix except one.

Has anyone here had issues with connecting the astrotrac to the head of the tripod. I have a decent Manfrotto tripod and head however I noticed that I had to use the larger screw to attach the astrotrac which is where my problem has started. The primary problem is my larger screw is too long so I have a gap between the tripod head and the tracking arm.. this is only between 5-10mm but its too much. Even if the screw was the correct length I still feel that two flat surfaces wont grip against each other.

What do you guys use?

I have tried a rubber washer as depicted in the picture but there is still very slight movement. I am not a mechanically minded person, so for me making bits isn't an option.

The evenings have been terrible here so my patience hasn't yet been tested. I contacted Astrotrac but haven't yet got a reply.

IMAGE: http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee211/flight959/20140322_082059_zpse44a8c39.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://s231.photobucke​t.com ...2059_zpse44a8c39.jp​g.html] (external link)

ANY help would be great guys..

Kind Regards
Simon.
West Sussex UK

calypsob
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
Roanoke Virginia
Jan 24, 2015 04:13 as a reply to SimonClarkson's post |  #27

I made a post about this a while back but here you go, http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...venturer_latitude_e​q.htmlexternal link This wedge is cheaper than the astrotrac wedge, and an alt az wedge is exactly what you need.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

18,989 views & 1 like for this thread
Astrotrac questions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.