Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 17 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 10:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,212 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Jan 21, 2015 16:13 |  #406

jacklongdo wrote in post #17393218external link
Having an EOS 5D MkIII, the 100-400 II and the Extender 1.4x.
Would the EOS 7D MkII bring a tangible improvement for capturing small pirching birds?
Thank you.

The 7D2 gives finer noise with less banding, and more subject detail, from the same distance, with the same f-stop, and with the same shutter speed and ISO.

sponsored links
markesc
Joined Feb 2014
Jan 21, 2015 19:46 as a reply to John Sheehy's post |  #407

Will the 7d2 lock/stay locked with birds heading towards the camera? My 5dmkiii has been hit/miss. I did move it to "case 2", which helped, but I'm sort of on the fence if I simply need more practice/luck, or if the 7d2 is going to yield more consistent results?

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Jan 21, 2015 21:17 |  #408

markesc wrote in post #17393836external link
Will the 7d2 lock/stay locked with birds heading towards the camera? My 5dmkiii has been hit/miss. I did move it to "case 2", which helped, but I'm sort of on the fence if I simply need more practice/luck, or if the 7d2 is going to yield more consistent results?

Mark the answer is all of the above lol

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

jacklongdo
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Jan 22, 2015 10:54 |  #409

John Sheehy wrote in post #17393501external link
The 7D2 gives finer noise with less banding, and more subject detail, from the same distance, with the same f-stop, and with the same shutter speed and ISO.

Thank you John. I read your answer carefully.
The question now focuses on the lens: Can the the lens set @400mm with the 1.4x extender deliver the required by a high definition sensor or will a FF sensor suffice?

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,212 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Jan 24, 2015 06:14 |  #410

jacklongdo wrote in post #17394768external link
Thank you John. I read your answer carefully.
The question now focuses on the lens: Can the the lens set @400mm with the 1.4x extender deliver the required by a high definition sensor or will a FF sensor suffice?

I don't think that high-res sensors require anything. The sensor is there to serve the lens; the finer the resolution of the sensor, the closer it is to making a virtual analog capture, and the better it records the lens. TCs and smaller pixels both work towards recording what the lens is actually projecting, more accurately, with less artifact. It matters not a bit if that means that 100% pixel views on our low-res monitors look soft because of it.

The only drawbacks of TCs are that they can sometimes (but usually don't) cause electrical problems that might compromise the image stabilizer, they may lose contrast (micro and/or global) if they are inferior grade, they might interfere with AF, darken the viewfinder, and they might make your composition too tight, if you're too close (it may take too long to remove a TC if you can't or don't want to step back from the subject).

The only downside of higher pixel density is that sometimes (but not always) the biggest pixels on the biggest sensors have the least read noise at high ISOs, per unit of sensor area. They are universally btter at low ISOs, and often at medium ISOs, noise-wise per unit of sensor area. The 7D2 is only about 1/4 to 1/3 stop worse than the 1Dx and Nikon D4s per unit of sensor area in measured high-ISO noise, and is as good or better than most other big-pixel sensors (the 7D2 has one of the best high ISO noise characters of any camera; easy to clean and it cleans up quickly with reductons in displayed image size).

That said, I can get fairly pixel-sharp results (sharp enough that USM works easily without sharpening noise too much) with the original 100-400 with a 7D2 and a 1.4x, so I'm sure the new 100-400 is even sharper, especially wide open. Often the actual practical limit is due to the stability of the camera and subject, and AF error, not the lens sharpness. Reports I've read here and on DPReview suggest that the new 100-400 + 1.4x works like a good 560mm f/8 lens optically, and AF, while not quite as snappy as at f/5.6, works well in the center point.

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by MedicineMan4040.
Jan 24, 2015 23:45 |  #411

I added the 100-400ii for the 5Diii platform. I'm pleased now-

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7326/16359734065_4f626f220b_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qVDU​Yr] (external link)Am I in Trouble or What (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

Mark ­ Booth
393 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Jan 25, 2015 00:16 |  #412

I occasionally shoot motorsports. I tried my new 100-400 II at the autocross course today, I am very pleased! My ratio of keepers is decidedly up! A couple of sample images!

IMAGE: http://www.thephotobooth.net/photos/i-d296dVW/0/O/i-d296dVW.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.thephotobooth.net/photos/i-TSjwzXJ/0/O/i-TSjwzXJ.jpg

Mark

"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up."
-- Richard Avedon

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
9,954 posts
Joined Feb 2005
N.E.LINCOLNSHIRE UK.
Jan 25, 2015 02:43 |  #413

Im really happy with this lens and on a 7dmkII it has lots of reach for a lightish set up ideal for when your walking around .
Rob.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htmexternal link

mfunnell
375 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Sydney, Australia
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by mfunnell.
Jan 25, 2015 03:06 |  #414

GyRob wrote in post #17398873 (external link)
Im really happy with this lens and on a 7dmkII it has lots of reach for a lightish set up ideal for when your walking around .
Rob.

Rob, you remind me that I have not yet posted my official POTN duck photo for a new lens and camera.

So here's mine for the 7DmkII+100-400mkII combo ([edit]oh, I should note with 1.4x extender III[/edit]):

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8624/16170845088_6ac72ccda2_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qCXN​RW] (external link)
It ain't much but at least it's (a) a duck; and (b) taken in reasonably difficult circumstances (most especially the near-complete absence of actual ducks near me until this morning). I hope I'm now "official".

...Mike

Some digital cameras, some film cameras, some lenses & other kit.
Day-to-day photos on flickrexternal link, some older stuff at dAexternal link.

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Jan 25, 2015 03:07 |  #415

Super sharp image Mike

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

mfunnell
375 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Sydney, Australia
Jan 25, 2015 03:12 |  #416

Pondrader wrote in post #17398892external link
Super sharp image Mike

Thanks Jeff. The absence of ducks was starting to bother me!

...Mike

Some digital cameras, some film cameras, some lenses & other kit.
Day-to-day photos on flickrexternal link, some older stuff at dAexternal link.

John_T
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
Switzerland
Jan 25, 2015 03:29 |  #417

Duck vs. coot...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : 24-105L IS II : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,173 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Surrey
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Box Brownie.
Jan 25, 2015 04:54 |  #418

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17398767 (external link)
I added the 100-400ii for the 5Diii platform. I'm pleased now-
QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qVDU​Yr] (external link)Am I in Trouble or What (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

Hi

Thanks for sharing a 5D3 image (same body:) ) a lovely capture first flap after takeoff - could you please say what the exif details are plus any feedback about how close were you, I surmise this was at 400mm max zoom, and how much if any it is a crop?

TIA :)

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Jan 25, 2015 08:25 |  #419

^Thanks BoxBrownie.
If you click the Flickr link all EXIF is there.
Twenty feet or slightly less, honestly a bit too close, Barred's can do damage and his only exit point was
my way. He veered off quickly though.
30 percent crop my memory says and yes full zoom at 400mm.
Honestly once I reviewed the pics I was super pleased with this one.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,173 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Surrey
Jan 25, 2015 17:14 |  #420

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17399234external link
^Thanks BoxBrownie.
If you click the Flickr link all EXIF is there.
Twenty feet or slightly less, honestly a bit too close, Barred's can do damage and his only exit point was
my way. He veered off quickly though.
30 percent crop my memory says and yes full zoom at 400mm.
Honestly once I reviewed the pics I was super pleased with this one.

Thanks for the extra insight :)

Looking at your Flickr and sorry if I missed it there or hereabouts but have you tried the 5D3 with the 100-400mm MkII + the x1.4 MkIII TC ??? If so how did you find that combo and the quality of the images from it???

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

sponsored links

1,549,541 views & 15657 likes for this thread
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.