Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 27 Mar 2007 (Tuesday) 19:25
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: Color problems? [work in progress?]

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Auckland NZ
May 07, 2012 02:21 |  #331

Try here:

http://www.ilford.com ...-inkjet/galerie-prestige/external link

Select the paper that you want (I think its at the top) and go to "Download ICC profiles"

You will have to log in and go through their procedure (i.e. select the printer etc).

I haven't done it and there is no guarantee that they will have your printer as as option. (you're printing yourself I presume).

If your sending it out to a lab, you will have to request that they send you the file (providing they have that paper as an option) If they don't, you will have to look for one that does.

sponsored links
Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Auckland NZ
May 07, 2012 02:31 |  #332

I just went through their system (but nominating my HP printer). It looks like they have not put out a specific ICC profile for this paper and recommend that you use the generic settings (for the different printers they have listed)

If you wanted a specific ICC profile for this paper on your printer, you would have to get one made.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

mantra
Goldmember
1,613 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Italy, Rome
May 07, 2012 04:13 |  #333

Mark Vuleta wrote in post #14391461external link
I just went through their system (but nominating my HP printer). It looks like they have not put out a specific ICC profile for this paper and recommend that you use the generic settings (for the different printers they have listed)

If you wanted a specific ICC profile for this paper on your printer, you would have to get one made.

thanks
it's boring that i have to login
and second i don't use my printer device

canon 5d markII,24L & 24ts , 35L ,17-40L,24-70L,70-200 2.8ISL,50 1.4,85 1.4 , canon eos 3 ,eos 5 ,t90 , ae program and some very sweet fd lenses
3 analogic Hasselblad and 2 anologic Mamiya

mantra
Goldmember
1,613 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Italy, Rome
May 08, 2012 01:24 as a reply to mantra's post |  #334

René Damkot wrote in post #14360873external link
If you're meaning what I think you are saying, yes.

Here's a video on LL explaining Soft proofing: http://luminous-landscape.com ...journal/c2p-preview.shtmlexternal link

Mark Vuleta wrote in post #14391451external link
Try here:

http://www.ilford.com ...-inkjet/galerie-prestige/external link

Select the paper that you want (I think its at the top) and go to "Download ICC profiles"

You will have to log in and go through their procedure (i.e. select the printer etc).

I haven't done it and there is no guarantee that they will have your printer as as option. (you're printing yourself I presume).

If your sending it out to a lab, you will have to request that they send you the file (providing they have that paper as an option) If they don't, you will have to look for one that does.

by the way i did notice that many labs don't use inkejet prints
they use very expensive, costly machine that use ( chemistr) and only photographic paper , in this case profiles don't matter ,do they?

do you prefer ink with print paper or photographic paper ?

cheers

canon 5d markII,24L & 24ts , 35L ,17-40L,24-70L,70-200 2.8ISL,50 1.4,85 1.4 , canon eos 3 ,eos 5 ,t90 , ae program and some very sweet fd lenses
3 analogic Hasselblad and 2 anologic Mamiya

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Auckland NZ
May 08, 2012 03:43 |  #335

mantra wrote in post #14397115external link
by the way i did notice that many labs don't use inkejet prints
they use very expensive, costly machine that use ( chemistr) and only photographic paper , in this case profiles don't matter ,do they?

do you prefer ink with print paper or photographic paper ?

cheers

Certainly the labs machines are hugely expensive to purchase & to operate but they are designed for massive output quantity wise. Quality is another matter.

They still will all have some form of ICC profile to allow the driver to convert the colour information correctly.

I don't use any commercial labs, preferring to print my own but my output quantity wise if minute compared to a commercial lab. I do prefer the control I have over the output and the substrates that I print onto.

basman007
82 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Apr 05, 2013 12:38 |  #336

Does anyone have any experience with this? Would this work?

I've upgraded my Operating System to Windows 7 64-bit (Ultimate). I've tried running Spyder2Express, but I can't get Spyder hardware to be recognised; I get the following error: "Error 2: Can't find file SpyderUSB.cpp 127".

After Googling this error I found out that Spyder2 won't work on most Windows 7 systems and it is suggested that I should upgrade to Spyder3. However, I'm not made of money... So I thought of the following:

Could I connect my Dell 2209WA to another xp/vista running pc and use Spyder2 to create an icc profile. Then import that profile into Windows 7 somehow. Would that work? Can I just copy the icc profile?

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/sj-photography/external link

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,366 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Gesher Haziv, Israel
Apr 06, 2013 08:02 |  #337

I think it wouldn't be as good as doing a calibration/profiling on the new OS because as well as creating an .icc profile the Spyder also puts a new Color Look Up Table onto the graphics card. However, having only the profile (just copy it onto a usb thumb-drive and put it into C:/Windows/System 32/Spool/Drivers/Color and then in Display Settings/Advanced/Colo​r Management set it as the default) would be no worse and probably better than using a canned profile downloaded from the monitor maker.

A Spyder4 Express is about $80, so it might be worth taking a hammer to the piggy bank.

Elie / אלי

René ­ Damkot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005
enschede, netherlands
Apr 08, 2013 11:05 |  #338

You could try dispcal/Argyll. It supports the spyder2: http://dispcalgui.hoec​h.net/#instrumentsexternal link

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

basman007
82 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Apr 09, 2013 03:52 |  #339

So, I've tried to make the Spyder work. I found a few updates/drivers and tried those. First, I installed Spyder2_Driver_Setup_1​.1.10 That made my Spyder communicate with my pc and I was able to run the callibration proces. Afterwards it seemed callibrated, but I got various errors. So, despite the description telling me not to, I also installed Spyder2express_2.3.6_S​etup Ran the callibration proces again. Now I only got one error at the end, saying that it couldn't load profile 'none' to my monitor. I went into the advanced properties of my vid card (via the control panel -> monitor) and added the spyder2profile as standard. Then I went into a second advanced menu and added the spyder2 profile as standard for a second time. Windows callibration was turned off. Despite getting the error that Spyder can't load the 'none' profile, my monitor colors change during startup. So it seems like it's working now... :)

René Damkot wrote in post #15803539external link
You could try dispcal/Argyll. It supports the spyder2: http://dispcalgui.hoec​h.net/#instrumentsexternal link

That's very interesting! Do you've got experience with this prog? Or perhaps are able to rate it against the Spyder software? I'm going to download it, so I've got a backup program just in case :)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/sj-photography/external link

René ­ Damkot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005
enschede, netherlands
Apr 09, 2013 04:06 |  #340

basman007 wrote in post #15806802external link
That's very interesting! Do you've got experience with this prog? Or perhaps are able to rate it against the Spyder software? I'm going to download it, so I've got a backup program just in case :)

I use it to calibrate my secondary screen (a cheap TN).
This software gets it a lot closer to my Eizo (calibrated with Eizo ColorNavigator) then the Monaco Optix Pro software can. Using a DTP-94 puck.

It does take an awful long time though: More then an hour. But since I (therefore) don't calibrate my secondary screen that often, I don't find that to be a big issue.

Why Color Management.
MySpaceexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Ranger187
486 posts
Joined Nov 2004
NV / PA
Aug 23, 2013 13:27 |  #341

Rene, you have an overwhelming amount of information. It's going to take me a while as a n00b to begin to make total sense of this, but thanks for the extensive information here.

BLOGexternal link
Flickrexternal link
[Canon A75][Canon Pro1][Canon EOS-70D] | GEAR

TridenTBoy
100 posts
Joined May 2011
West coast, USA
Jan 05, 2014 16:43 |  #342

Is there a utility/program out there that can run in Windows 7 and allows you to easily switch color profiles? (I don't want to dig through the menus to switch it. I just want an easy toggle)

Background: I have a Dell U2413 and a i1display pro. I use the i1Profiler (Rather than Dell's crappy solution which doesn't even work correctly) and calibrate it using the Color Space-> sRGB mode on my monitor. It seems to come out pretty decently. However, I also play video games and Dell has a "Game" mode on the Dell U2413 that reduces input latency by a huge amount. The problem is, the colors, contrast, and well-everything are so vastly wrong that it takes away from my enjoyment of the game. So, I want to calibrate my monitor in that game mode, create an ICC profile with it, and then use that when I switch the 'game' mode. Is that possible or am I missing out on some of what a ICC profile does and doesn't do? I don't know if the Game mode will even hold the memory of the calibration... will it? Do I need to recalibrate my monitor every time I switch modes on my monitor if I want reasonably accurate colors? That would suck.

René ­ Damkot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005
enschede, netherlands
Jan 08, 2014 04:46 |  #343

Not a Windows user, so no idea really, but this might help:

http://superuser.com ...-switching-monitor-setupsexternal link

Why Color Management.
MySpaceexternal link
Twitterexternal link

deviangel
Joined Aug 2012
Republic Of Macedonia
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by deviangel.
Jan 25, 2015 11:35 |  #344

So the maker of my 3D screen and my laptop says that hardware calibration is needed not software one because every time the colors on my screen will be great while on the other screens and monitors will be a bit colder and I've noticed this even after I changed i.e. downgraded from win8 to win7 even thou I get better results. I've noticed that I get the right view of the picture how it will be on other monitors only when I proof it with Internet Standart RGB (sRGB) option but the difference is so small like the maker of the screen said. That means my monitor is little off because its not hardware calibrated right? Such a shame here in my country it impossible to find and buy hardware for calibration.

Canon 6D | Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM |
https://500px.com/devi​angel (external link)

sponsored links

266,264 views & 1 like for this thread
Color problems? [work in progress?]
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.