Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes
Thread started 25 Jan 2015 (Sunday) 21:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Critique / Lighting Question

myprettyeats
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Lester Wareham with reason 'embedded without copyright converted to a link..'.
Jan 25, 2015 21:40 |  #1

Hello, I am new to this forum... Could someone kindly suggest, how I can improve lighting on the attached photo of the soup? I am a big fan of Aran Goyoaga food photography but I just cannot achieve the same result as far as lighting. What am I missing? I shoot in my kitchen, right by a large french door with a large white board on the table to bounce the light. I tried different times of days, my photos are sometimes ok, but I am just wondering if perhaps I am missing some additional light source like a strobe... I love natural light photography but was wondering if maybe I need additional light source, even at daylight. I am attaching one of Aran's photos from her Flickr account. any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you

https://farm5.staticfl​ickr.com ...79529310_140580e7eb​_b.jpg (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

AFPhotoMKE
46 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Waukesha,WI
Jan 27, 2015 15:57 |  #2

looks to me that lighting wise it seems fairly close, the only issue I see is the muted colors which could be brought up in post. The lighting itself though seems well balanced

Canon 6D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, 28, 28mm 1.8, 580exII, 480ex, ommlite triggers (more like amazing for the price triggers):cool::cool:

rob ­ ashcroft
Joined Jul 2013
West Wales, UK
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by rob ashcroft.
Jan 28, 2015 23:56 |  #3

I agree with afphotomke above. The composition is more of an issue. In the Aran shot it's clear what the subject is - cookies. But it this shot it seems to be a rather bland spoon.

Flash lighting means more opportunities to shoot, instead of relying on natural light. It also means more control.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, EOS Digital Rebel XT / EOS 350D / Kiss Digital N | Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 28-105mm f/4-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Sigma 15mm f/2.8 EX Fisheye, 105mm f/2.8 Macro EX | Nissin Di866 Mark II Flash | Sigma EM-140 DG Macro Ring Flash | Canon Speedlite 430EX II | Yongnuo YN460-II

anliz
Joined Aug 2012
Jan 29, 2015 00:47 |  #4

@myprettyeats , maybe you need to show about two-thirds or three-fourths of the bowl , sprinkle fresh herbs on top of your soup , place the spoon ( use stainless steel spoon as it looks better , find something that doesn't reflect too much light ) at the background so as the fresh herb . Use blue accents , maybe a blue placemat or use a blue bowl ?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Jan 29, 2015 08:36 |  #5

check out this thread: http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=16​163444

What i see in the above is that you have simply "illuminated" (nod to wilt) the food and not taken care to light it. Your light is flat and seems to come from all directions. Rarely is that a good way to flatter your food.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

832 views & 0 likes for this thread
Critique / Lighting Question
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.