Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 15 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 12:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Does anyone shoot with both crop and FF?

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Jan 15, 2015 12:08 |  #1

I currently use a 60D and 5D Classic. I like the setup because it is a little like I get two focal lengths from my lenses so my primes are more versatile.

I am getting more involved and have my first wedding booked. I will be receiving a bonus for my day job (not photography). I am considering upgrading the 60D. However I am not sure if I want to go all full frame and get the 6D or keep the crop factor and get a 7DII.

Thoughts? I don't mind knowing two different cameras controls - just wondering if anyone has experience or shoots this way?

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,921 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Jan 15, 2015 12:15 |  #2

I tried it, but I prefer the images from full frame enough that I just stick with 2 FF bodies. The idea of getting 2 different looks from the same lens is intellectually appealing but its not really a factor in the actualmwedding day.

advaitin
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
The Fun Coast of Florida
Jan 15, 2015 12:40 |  #3

If you have EFS lenses, then keeping a crop body is useful. If you only have EF lenses then going to only FF won't be much of a problem. I have cameras that are APS-C. APS-H and FF. Apparently I don't give up anything. It's more important that you have the right lens selection for the job than what camera you use. Always have a backup for everything, spare camera, spare lens, spare flash, spare batteries.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

NewCreation
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2013
Michigan
Jan 15, 2015 13:18 |  #4

I shoot with a 60d and a 6d. The different focal length options are moot for me because I generally find I don't have much time for fiddling back and forth a lot. Mostly I mount a lens on each body for the part of the day I'm shooting and don't change until the next segment. I intend to go to two ff as soon as fiscally responsible.

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.comexternal link
Facebookexternal link

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,552 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Alberta, CANADA
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by picturecrazy. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 19, 2015 19:03 |  #5

I would NOT want to go into a wedding with full frame only. I did that for like 10 years (film) before getting my first crop cam, a 20D. Putting lenses on my 20D was an eye opening experience for me. I felt like I had suddenly increased my gear bag without actually buying any more lenses. Since then, I would never want to shoot full frame only.

For weddings and portraits, I have found crop to give me more options. I get a lot more "reach" out of my 70-200, and EF-S covers me exceptionally well at the wide and ultra-wide end. To get a head and shoulders closeup of a speech on FF at 200mm, you still gotta be pretty darn close. I love being far away so I don't give people a panoramic view of my ass. The lenses are lighter, I can carry less stuff (i.e. I stopped carrying around a 135 f/2 because my 85 1.8 on a crop gives me the same reach). The DOF difference I could care less about, I get plenty thin DOF with crop at 1.2. In this day and age, image quality is so good on crops that the difference is negligible IMO for wedding work.

So for that reason, if I had to choose between FF only or crop only, it would be crop only. But Crop and FF together is ideal.

Now, for commercial, my options are larger with FF, so I shoot all commercial with FF. It all depends on your scenarios. But weddings and portraits... crop MUST be in my bag.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photographyexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographersexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographersexternal link
Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link |Instagramexternal link | Gear

dmitrim
Joined Jun 2006
Toronto,ON
Jan 23, 2015 19:38 |  #6

I wouldn't do it any more,but I've done it before. there aren't any good efs lenses so there's no real reason to have a crop unless you really need the extra reach for some reason. I've never wished to have more than 200mm at a wedding.

Facebook (external link)
www.dmitrimarkine.com (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,552 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Alberta, CANADA
Jan 24, 2015 15:27 |  #7

dmitrim wrote in post #17397000external link
I wouldn't do it any more,but I've done it before. there aren't any good efs lenses so there's no real reason to have a crop unless you really need the extra reach for some reason. I've never wished to have more than 200mm at a wedding.

Aren't any good EFS lenses? Are you serious? The EFS lineup is one of the reasons I would not want to go strictly FF. The 10-22, 17-55, and 60 macro are KILLER lenses that I use rigorously through all my weddings.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photographyexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographersexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographersexternal link
Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link |Instagramexternal link | Gear

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Jan 24, 2015 19:03 |  #8

I just put a 7D2 back in the bag. It does very well at weddings

I went Tokina 11-16 v/s the 10-22 and the 50L is just killer on this 7D2. I wont miss and the bokeh is very nice as well

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

tim
Light Bringer
50,867 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Jan 24, 2015 21:48 |  #9

I found the 17-55 not very robust - I broke two and I'm generally careful enough. After switching to Nikon one lens fell off the roof of a car, one rolled down a hill, no problems. Then I dropped a 24-70 one 1ft onto carpet and totalled it.

But anyway, I prefer FF and prefer to use two identical FF cameras.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

CPLEEE
59 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Jan 29, 2015 06:41 |  #10

I've thought about this and just didn't go through with it. I think I may pick up a crop for a secondary now and test it out!

5D MK3 | 16-35L II | Sigma 35 1.4 | 135L | 580EX II
flickrexternal link | Facebookexternal link

southwoodlaker
43 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Jan 29, 2015 08:03 as a reply to picturecrazy's post |  #11

I am with Lloyd. I used to use two 5d3 but just realized that I did not use the 2nd one more enough so I sold it. Recently, I picked up a 7D2 and a 10-18 and a 18-135. I enjoyed this 7D2+ 5D3 combo. It turned out I used 7D2 more now. This combo gives me more flexibility in terms of focal length. I also used 7D2 more for travel, walk around and occasionally birding (with 100-400 II). Also used it for some video project with the STM lenses. Not shoot weddings with this combo yet but did shoot a corporate event and it works great.

benji25
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Jan 29, 2015 08:51 as a reply to southwoodlaker's post |  #12

So I ended up keeping the 60d and 5dc and decided to add my first L lens. So my setup is below. Add in the 1.6 factor and I think I have a nice little that fits in two lens spaces in my bag (135 in one, 85 and 28 stack in the other, 40 on camera).

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7316/16390149791_cfc8e4bd08_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qYkN​vv] (external link)IMG_0872 (external link) by bennymod (external link), on Flickr

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

rejay14
Joined Mar 2009
St. Catharines, Ontario
Mar 04, 2015 20:00 |  #13

For the ceremony... 5D3/24-70 2.8 II and the 7D(now II)/ 70-200 2.8 IS II.
Also, the crop changes my 50mm 1.4 into an 80mm 1.4 Not a bad deal.

1DX Mark II, 5D Mark IV, 40D,Rebel XT :lol:, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 100-400L IS II,24-105 II L, 100mmL 2.8 IS, 16-35L 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8L II, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, Sekonic 758DR, Pixma 9500 II, Pixma 9000 II, Think Tank Airport Accelerator v2.0, Canon 600EX-RT x 5, Profoto B1 Kit with too many modifiers http://...www.PrestigePhotoPro.c​om (external link) Portfolio (external link)
Concert Photography (external link)

josh5k
359 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Bangalore, India
Mar 09, 2015 05:20 |  #14

I shoot both; And in fact for a lot of ceremonies, I shoot purely crop with the 6D coming out only for a few shots where the low DOF is needed. Two crop bodies and lenses are usually smaller and lighter to carry and get the job done well enough. Makes it easier for me to carry a couple of flashes and other accessories instead.

CameraLogy.Comexternal link MMayhemexternal link Twitterexternal link GEARG+external link
My Facebook Pageexternal link!!

frugivore
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
Toronto, Canada
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by frugivore.
Mar 11, 2015 07:21 |  #15

My partner uses a 7D and 5D2. He usually has the 24-70mm on the 5D2 and the 70-200mm on the 7D. I use two identical bodies though.

Sure, you get more magnification using a crop sensor. But the safety of having an identical body outweighs that advantage. What if the full frame stops working, even for just five minutes? And don't discount the difficulty of switching between two sets of controls. When things are happening quickly, every millisecond counts.

And regarding the benefit of a lens being two different angles of view on a crop and full frame, if you really need those different angles of view, just use a zoom. Or have two primes with those focal lengths.

sponsored links

6,990 views & 3 likes for this thread
Does anyone shoot with both crop and FF?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.