Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 29 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 15:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Why you should stop taking photos!

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,617 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009
On The Roads Across America
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Todd Lambert. 5 edits done in total.
Jan 29, 2015 15:58 |  #1

An article I wrote about the theories involved with getting good photographs.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Year of Night - 365 Night Project - check it out! (external link)

Follow me into the night.
Unique Night Photography - twilightscapes.com (external link)

sponsored links
x_tan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
ɐılɐɹʇsnɐ 'ǝuɹnoqlǝɯ
Jan 29, 2015 17:43 |  #2

...Making art instead :-)

Now I get it.

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring external link

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.
Jan 29, 2015 18:40 |  #3

Todd,

I find it ironic that your under your user name it says, "I don't like titles". That is because I don't particularly care for the title of this article!

I disagree with the author from a semantic standpoint, as I do not think that the term "taking photos" insinuates that you are only there to capture the scene. In fact, I do not think that people should insinuate anything from words - they should simply go by the actual definition of words and terms, and thereby avoid any misunderstandings that may arise when insinuations or connotations are assumed.

I believe that "taking a photo" can (and often does) involve far more than only capturing the scene before us. If I spend countless hours setting up and composing particular photos that I want, I will still refer to that endeavor as "taking photos". I will not stop "taking photos", and neither should anyone else.

The article actually has a lot of good information and helpful ideas in it. It is a shame that the inaccurate title taints an otherwise well-written article. I know that the author chose that title to "grab your attention", but that is not really a viable excuse for wording something in a way that could be shown to be incorrect and/or inaccurate.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Todd ­ Lambert
THREAD ­ STARTER
I don't like titles
12,617 posts
Joined May 2009
Jan 29, 2015 19:35 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #4

Hi Tom, since I am the author of that article I will weigh in - ;-)a

The title was meant to stop and make you think. Which is the gist of the article itself, so I guess I fail to see how it is inaccurate.

I think you're reading too much into the title and semantics.

The point of the article was to make you change your mindset about photography. That's all. It was meant to make you think about why you're taking/making a shot.

Nonetheless, thank you for your comment and I appreciate your view. 8-)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,043 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Jan 29, 2015 19:36 |  #5

Looks like click-bait to try and drive revenue to your personal site. I'll pass.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
ɐılɐɹʇsnɐ 'ǝuɹnoqlǝɯ
Jan 29, 2015 19:44 |  #6

Just notice:

I'm now living and working full-time on-the-road across the highways of America.

A travelling story with some photos, there is what National Geography doing...

Have fun :-)

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring external link

Todd ­ Lambert
THREAD ­ STARTER
I don't like titles
12,617 posts
Joined May 2009
Jan 29, 2015 19:51 as a reply to Luckless's post |  #7

Luckless, I'm sorry you feel that way. I spent time writing that article and so I want others to see it and of course I make a living from ad impressions, so yes... You would be contributing to my income... But the decision is yours.

Thanks for posting your insightful comment in here though, I do appreciate that as well ;-)a

jabtas
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2005
Teesside UK
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by jabtas.
Jan 29, 2015 21:09 |  #8

Well, I thought it was a pretty good read myself
Coming up with some ingenuity to 'spice' up your shots, great idea

Tim
Some Canon stuff, some Sigma stuff and yet more Canon stuff
My Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/j​abtasexternal link

Todd ­ Lambert
THREAD ­ STARTER
I don't like titles
12,617 posts
Joined May 2009
Jan 29, 2015 21:40 as a reply to jabtas's post |  #9

Thanks Jabtas!

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by nathancarter. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 30, 2015 13:06 |  #10

After awhile, you will get quicker and better at being able to dissect scenes and figure out what you as a photographer, can add to a scene to make a much better photograph.

A large part of my photographs are of stage shows & performances. I wouldn't dream of trying to alter the scene to make a better photograph. My job is to document the performance in such a way that's flattering to the performers. At most, I can slightly move (stage left, stage center, stage right), and I can frame looser or tighter to change composition.

Photojournalists can lose their credibility and their jobs by trying to add/subtract to a scene to make a better photograph.

Opinions, Todd? Can documentary-style photos never quality as "good" photos or "art," because the photographer didn't bother to alter the scene before mashing the shutter button?

[disclaimer: I generally don't consider my photographic work to be art. I'm not trying to tell a story; I'm trying to document the event or flatter the subject. I'm an engineer by nature, I make useful things but I don't make art.]

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Todd ­ Lambert
THREAD ­ STARTER
I don't like titles
12,617 posts
Joined May 2009
Jan 30, 2015 13:12 as a reply to nathancarter's post |  #11

That's a good question Nathan!

I don't think altering a scene (by adding an element etc...) is required to make a good photo, no. I mentioned some of those things as they pertain to a lot of photo types, but the instance you mention is not a good candidate for that, I would agree.

However, my other points and probably most important, is that the photographer should "think" about what would make a the scene better. Would that yellow power cord hanging off the stage hurt your shot? Is there a way to remove it from view? Not necessarily moving it, but possibly moving the camera to frame it out of the shot?

It's not all about manipulation outside of the camera - in fact, it's mostly about manipulating your scene inside the camera viewfinder and composition.

In my opinion, composition is the #1 important element to photography, above all else, even exposure.

That said, don't get hung up on Art or not Art.... I think all types of images can be art... The artistic part for some types of photos comes from the photographer's eye, and being able to correct or lessen things in a shot. This is the photographer's most important tool... their eyes.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by nathancarter.
Jan 30, 2015 13:39 |  #12

Todd Lambert wrote in post #17407392external link
However, my other points and probably most important, is that the photographer should "think" about what would make a the scene better. Would that yellow power cord hanging off the stage hurt your shot? Is there a way to remove it from view? Not necessarily moving it, but possibly moving the camera to frame it out of the shot?

Yeah, I do this with just about every shot. There's a lot of clutter to keep out of the frame.

I'll clone out stuff in post, too - at my favorite venue, there's a bright green "exit" sign that always shows up in wide shots. Usually one click with Lightroom's spot-healing tool will take care of it, but sometimes I'll brush on -4.0 stops of exposure and -100 saturation to make it blend with the dark corner of the venue.

Anyway, not arguing, just making conversation :)

For these kinds of photos, it takes composition and (perhaps most importantly) timing to make a good performance photo: Anticipate the pose, the dance move, the facial expression - and be ready for it. I can't alter it - but I certainly can be ready to capture that fraction-of-a-second opportunity. Artful composition is second to a flattering pose and facial expression - though I suppose they go hand-in-hand.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jan 30, 2015 13:58 |  #13

Todd Lambert wrote in post #17407392external link
It's not all about manipulation outside of the camera - in fact, it's mostly about manipulating your scene inside the camera viewfinder and composition.

I'm glad you said this, Todd. Of course we all want to put thought and consideration into the images we take (but it is still "taking photos" regardless of how much time and thought are invested).........but to do anything to manipulate the scene before us can be a real no-no for many forms of documentary and nature photography. The effort that those photographers put into their images usually comes in getting their camera where they want it to be in order to compose the most compelling image - NOT in changing the scene before them so that it looks different.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Jan 30, 2015 14:15 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #14

Gotta love the click bait trend sweeping through the interwebs nowadays. Without reading it I am guessing it could have been titled something like "Good photography requires good composition"

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

Todd ­ Lambert
THREAD ­ STARTER
I don't like titles
12,617 posts
Joined May 2009
Jan 30, 2015 14:21 |  #15

Wow... okay, I'm done. Screw you guys.

I'm not some spammer who has been on here for 3 days. I'd like to think that I've been here long enough and helped enough people to give something back to this community, but apparently with the new design, a bunch of idiots have come in with it.

If this is the crap you're going to get for trying to make something and share it with others, then I'm done with POTN, sadly. This place used to be a great resource and had lots of thoughtful conversations, but I guess that day has gone.

sponsored links

7,542 views & 8 likes for this thread
Why you should stop taking photos!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.